Sign in to follow this  
Larams

Blown fuses and smoke

I got in my truck this morning and started it up then turned on my stereo. I heard a small pop and noticed my front speakers were not working. I started investigating and discovered the 3 fuses on my 100.2 had all blown. I went to put in new ones and they blew right away

and then smoke came from the amplifier.

I have gone over all my power and ground wiring and cannot find any shorts. I have a sundown 1200d running off the exact same power and ground thru distribution blocks. That amp continues to play my subs and the fuses are all fine.

I opened up the 100.2 and saw a burned part. I guess it's one of the fets along the side.

Is this an amp problem or is it something else I've not found? I don't want to pay to have the amp fixed and then hook it up to be destroyed again.

It's weird because I've had the system installed now for a few months and never had any problem.

Check for a speaker wire short to ground -- this will destroy the amp in exactly that way. First blown fuses, replace fuses, then blown power supply.

I have an amp laying around and I would like to know is it worth fixing or just get a new one?

Check for a speaker wire short to ground -- this will destroy the amp in exactly that way. First blown fuses, replace fuses, then blown power supply.

I bet one of my wires going into my passive crossover inside my door came loose.

I have an amp laying around and I would like to know is it worth fixing or just get a new one?

:WTFBubble: does this question have to do with this thread? :ughdunno:

I bet one of my wires going into my passive crossover inside my door came loose.

Chris at db-r Click this will be able to get you back up and running after you troubleshoot your speaker wiring.

Chris at db-r Click this will be able to get you back up and running after you troubleshoot your speaker wiring.

Thanks, I sent them an email with a couple pictures of inside the amp. Hopefully the damage is less than buying a new one.

I checked all my cables for a short and can't find one visually or with a multimeter. Anyone have a suggestion of what else to look for? I'm a little paranoid about putting the amp back in if I don't figure out what caused it.

Well had my truck looked at just to be sure I didn't miss anything. All my wiring is fine. The amp just failed. Owned it for 2 years and 2 months. In that time I put around 3k miles on the car it was installed in. I only played it when I drove the car which is hardly ever.

Db-r quoted me $80 to rebuild the amp. I think that's a good price but if the original amp only lasted 2 years I have to wonder how long I can expect from a rebuild.

Well had my truck looked at just to be sure I didn't miss anything. All my wiring is fine. The amp just failed. Owned it for 2 years and 2 months. In that time I put around 3k miles on the car it was installed in. I only played it when I drove the car which is hardly ever.

Db-r quoted me $80 to rebuild the amp. I think that's a good price but if the original amp only lasted 2 years I have to wonder how long I can expect from a rebuild.

you do know that this was your fault right and chris will make the amp run like new.

You may have an intermittent ground short -- very difficult to find.

We had a speaker shorting to ground through it's own frame in Brandon's Bronco a few years ago -- and it was intermittent... huge pain to track down.

Of course with any electronic device there is the possibility to fail without good reason as well - this is true with any electronic equipment from any manufacturer ever made.

Did you buy it with a warranty?

you do know that this was your fault right and chris will make the amp run like new.

Listen genius, you have no idea what caused it. You haven't looked at my trucks wiring and you haven't seen the amps guts. I have seen both and I know a thing or two about electronics.

Like I said I checked the wiring myself and had it looked at by a local shop. There is no short on these cable runs anywhere. For one thing the 100.2 is not the only amp running off the same power system thru distribution blocks. The other Sundown is fine.

If the fuse blows internally it can't be the ground or power before that point in the circuit. The battery fuse or distribution block fuse would have blown instead.

So that narrows the problem down quite a bit to either an amp problem or a speaker short problem. I checked those cables and so has someone else who does this everyday for a living. We have ruled out the speaker wires. That leaves the amp. Lots of things could have caused the amp to go bad internally. Electronic parts fail all the time.

I'll say this about Sundown and then I'm out. I spent close to a grand on these amps 2 years ago. I have had a few problems and every time I came here for resolution I was treated rudely by other forum members. I don't have a problem with the product or even that the product failed so soon. The general attitude is how dare you say anything bad about Sundown. It can't be Sundowns fault it's automatically user error. Well, I hate to break it to you but even Sundowns can fail and yes, sometimes it's even sundowns fault.

Sameeeeeee exact thing happened to my Hifonics bxi2610d a few months back. I had the volume turned up just barely audible and I heard a pop sound. Get home and check it and my anl fuse blew, so I popped in another one quick and PUFF the magic smoke flies out of it. I took the amp out and it hear something rolling around in it also... I didnt have anymore warranty left so I said screw it and Ill investigate it, and it was a little tube like thing (I dont know shit about amps internals :ughdunno: ) rolling around inside with a big black mark by it..

So over the next hour I threw in an older amp I had and an even smaller fuse, and it has worked fine since. :puzzled:

Edited by BaMF101

Listen genius, you have no idea what caused it. You haven't looked at my trucks wiring and you haven't seen the amps guts. I have seen both and I know a thing or two about electronics.

Like I said I checked the wiring myself and had it looked at by a local shop. There is no short on these cable runs anywhere. For one thing the 100.2 is not the only amp running off the same power system thru distribution blocks. The other Sundown is fine.

If the fuse blows internally it can't be the ground or power before that point in the circuit. The battery fuse or distribution block fuse would have blown instead.

So that narrows the problem down quite a bit to either an amp problem or a speaker short problem. I checked those cables and so has someone else who does this everyday for a living. We have ruled out the speaker wires. That leaves the amp. Lots of things could have caused the amp to go bad internally. Electronic parts fail all the time.

I'll say this about Sundown and then I'm out. I spent close to a grand on these amps 2 years ago. I have had a few problems and every time I came here for resolution I was treated rudely by other forum members. I don't have a problem with the product or even that the product failed so soon. The general attitude is how dare you say anything bad about Sundown. It can't be Sundowns fault it's automatically user error. Well, I hate to break it to you but even Sundowns can fail and yes, sometimes it's even sundowns fault.

It's human there has to be fail at some point no one is perfect.

when fuses are blown, it means some thing went wrong, one should not just replace the fuse with out inspection and to some degree trobleshooting if qualified !

JMHO

Sign in to follow this