///M5

Front stage install: SEAS W18 and F1 status tweet

Looking good, but I think you have some more mudwork to do. It may just be the way I'm looking at them though.

Looking good, but I think you have some more mudwork to do.  It may just be the way I'm looking at them though.

Yep, that was just a first layer. I like to shoot some paint on to see the low spots before the next layer as it seems to save me time sanding...oh and part of it is the paint I used. Leftover stuff that looks like weathered metal. Obviously these will be black at some point.

Dennis, did you use something better for grills?

Edited by ///M5

Nice! I likey. The finished product should be great.

Getting close now! I just glassed up my tweeter pods, pics will come after I trim the glass off as it looks like a bunch of fiberglass now.

Here are shots of the tweeter baffle and the insert that I made to hold a laser pointer for aiming the tweeters. Currently they are aimed at the opposing headrest like the originals. I will play with their position after I have a chance to break them in and listen to them a bit.

post-967-1131741397_thumb.jpg

post-967-1131741413_thumb.jpg

Just curious as to why you used all bondo?

coulda stretched a fleece and t-shirt material over the mold and it won't stress crack as easy as bondo will...

just curious :)

Looks good though!

Didn't hardly use any bondo. Not sure I understand, all the parts structurally are 100% fiberglass or mdf. I just skim coated bondo on top for smoothness.

Even on the tweeter pods, I used 3 layers of glass....

After a slight relaxation period, I am back at it.

Tweeter pods here, only need one more touch up with the bondo/sanding routine and then I am covering them in vinyl. Now I am just waiting for my crossover to arrive--perhaps an amp rack since I am adding two more components as well but we shall see.

post-967-1132155660_thumb.jpg

Stock sail panel locations--highly modified to fit though. If it sounds like bunk because of the separation, I will remount them in the kicks with such a small format tweet they go down there pretty easy, especially with the angle pad mounts I can modify from an old set of Infinities.

I am waiting for a little bodyworkpatch on the tweets to dry before I paint them. Going to try and make them flat black first and see how that looks as I have the paint.

Here are the kicks ready to be installed. The portion of the drivers side on the top left will be covered by the hood release and the other top is actually under the level of the underdash covering so I wasn't too anal about making it nice since you won't see it and I don't have lots of patience. The other bummer is in order to use the grills that I found I have to put screws all the way through on the driver side since I didn't lower the dead pedal enough to not be in the way, I was originally planning on using 7" grills but couldn't find any. I had to recess it into the pedal. Here are pics.

post-967-1132517856_thumb.jpg

post-967-1132517876_thumb.jpg

You couldve glued them in place.

I wish, then the "relief" cut in the dead pedal would have to be 2x the size of the grill instead of just the size. I'll use black screws and they will be by my feet anyway. If I find 7" grills later the problem will be solved. Those were only like $5 ea from Madisound.

///M5's> yours

Thanks for the slashes and the compliment. Just to give Flakko props though, it was his writeup that made me think that I could do fiberglass custom work. Did my sub first since it is in the trunk, this is glass project #2!

Was he driving when he cut his sub box circle? It would explain everything

Tweeter pod picks. And yea, I probably should have painted these flat but it is what I had...couple little spots too, but will install tomorrow and see how she looks. I am sure the picture would be better with drivers, but I don't want to mung the paint while it is still so soft.

post-967-1132538480_thumb.jpg

Looking great man!! I am impressed by the talent of some of the members here. Very nice!

I doubt anyone will know the difference.

They kinda look stock

I doubt anyone will know the difference.

They kinda look stock

That is always the goal for me. Not to look stock, but to "kinda look stock". We will see how long that lasts once I start looking for rims though :blink:

Hopefully my new DX-28 will be here this afternoon and I can start assembling. :hyper:

Woot. Here are some pre-install pics of the finished baffles with the SEAS and tweets laid in them.

post-967-1132598350_thumb.jpg

post-967-1132598370_thumb.jpg

post-967-1132598382_thumb.jpg