armyranger3858

what do you guys think of c&d technologies batteries

they are not for car audio.

The only reason why they "work" for others is because they are using a LOT of them.

These ups batteries are not designed to take quick large discharges without suffering from above normal voltage drop.

There is a reason why ups batteries do not have a CCA, CA, MA or SC rating.. they are not made for such applications.

So to get them to "work" for car audio, u need a LOT of weight support if running a large setup.

I know a buddy of mine has 8 135lbs batts that was used to run 10kw.

He could have easily installed 2-3 G31 batts which equals between 155-230lbs and have done the same.

no, lol. Deka 9A31 and a couple other battery brands i know of that are G31s are the best bang for your buck.

hey shizzzon a little off topic but are NSB batteries in the same category as the C&D batteries? (ups)

i think yes b/c i don't notice those specs you mentioned above

http://www.battery-usa.com/Catalog/NSB90.pdf

although it does say this

"Specifically designed for abusive applications. Excels at high rate discharge

and recharge, extreme temperature range, deep or shallow cyclic applications"

and from my own experience ( i have 2 of them) i have them running 2-2500 and the most drop in voltage i have seen is 12.1 at full tilt but then they shoot right back up...

if i'm not mistaken, i think they quit offering tech support, selling them in usa or somethin....

Too many people were interpreting that as to be used for car audio when the company ahs announced that is not their market.

They do\did not want to honor warranties for a product in the wrong application as would many other companies.

I know people use them for car audio as an actual car audio batt, batt for batt...

I have no experience with them but can say all of our world finalist competitors that live here by me do not run NSB.

All we run is the following-

XS Power

Xstatic Batcaps

Deka 9A31s

Pick one.. i'm sure you won't be able to afford the 2nd option as many do not who are not on the team.

oh and to add- dropping to 12.1v on 5000w and 2 nsbs sounds bout right if the car was off...

A true G31 batt for car audio, 2 of them on 5k should be able to maintain 12.6v or higher with a decent output at idle from alternator.

i got some XS and LOADS AND LOADS of Dekas but we will not ship them.

got ya! thanks for the reply and yes i used to run batcap! good times! very cool burp batteries! i was running 4 batcap2000's! it was pretty solid setup for my 1 saz2000 lol!

as for my nsb I think i will look into selling them and maybe getting xs or batcap again.

as you say they weren't meant for this type of application.. the guy who sold them to me (Canadian guy) told me he sells them all the time to car audio people and he said he would honor a warranty on them if i needed... but you do bring up a good point maybe i should just flip them and get something a little bit more geared towards car audio!

thanks again your help is always appreciated!

I use these batteries extensively at work for emergency lighting and very large UPS. Would never even dream of using them in an automotive environment.

oh and to add- dropping to 12.1v on 5000w and 2 nsbs sounds bout right if the car was off...

A true G31 batt for car audio, 2 of them on 5k should be able to maintain 12.6v or higher with a decent output at idle from alternator.

I knew you were the guy with the right info! i guess i can sell them as batteries with a lower float! lol

and that 12.1 was with car off

got ya! thanks for the reply and yes i used to run batcap! good times! very cool burp batteries! i was running 4 batcap2000's! it was pretty solid setup for my 1 saz2000 lol!

HAHAHA.. I sure hope you didn't make that batt quantity choice because you bought into all that paranoia, overkill bullcrap for daily driving, hehe.

Yea, you could have drove ur car back n forth to work a couple days straight without alternator before needing a recharge on the batts.

(I've had to do this before for 3 weeks.. I'm good at knowing what my car can handle without an alt, lol)

I use these batteries extensively at work for emergency lighting and very large UPS. Would never even dream of using them in an automotive environment.

you mean C&D batteries?

also what does UPS stand for... pardon my noob-ness the only think i can think that ups stands for right now is united postal service lol

I knew you were the guy with the right info! i guess i can sell them as batteries with a lower float! lol

then that's to be expected results.

I would just stick with what it's intended purpose is...

You can use other products for things they were not intended for but will lack the optimal performance outcome.

you mean C&D batteries?

also what does UPS stand for... pardon my noob-ness the only think i can think that ups stands for right now is united postal service lol

I believe it means Uninterrupted Power Supply.

HAHAHA.. I sure hope you didn't make that batt quantity choice because you bought into all that paranoia, overkill bullcrap for daily driving, hehe.

Yea, you could have drove ur car back n forth to work a couple days straight without alternator before needing a recharge on the batts.

(I've had to do this before for 3 weeks.. I'm good at knowing what my car can handle without an alt, lol)

LOL no no i only used all 4 because i got a HELLA good deal on all 4 lol they were used but still a good deal! they were very small and very effective and ideal for the future setup! plus it looked cool and i planned to use all 4 for when i got my 2-saz2000 but i ended up getting the nsb and 2-saz2500 and made money off of the batcaps a fair amount off of them to lol.

then that's to be expected results.

I would just stick with what it's intended purpose is...

You can use other products for things they were not intended for but will lack the optimal performance outcome.

amen to that! lol

and thanks again

and sorry OP for the little side track!

you mean C&D batteries?

You would be correct. The NSB batteries I have used in the past were shit, but I got them cheap as hell, so we used them. Replaced them all within a year and that was without being used more than testing for 30 seconds every month and a 90 minute semi-annual drain. C&D and Lithonia are all I use now.

These batteries can not take a constant charge. Once they are full you want them removed from the circuit, then a low amp charge as needed. They can not handle current inrush or voltage spikes either.

you mean C&D batteries?

You would be correct. The NSB batteries I have used in the past were shit, but I got them cheap as hell, so we used them. Replaced them all within a year and that was without being used more than testing for 30 seconds every month and a 90 minute semi-annual drain. C&D and Lithonia are all I use now.

These batteries can not take a constant charge. Once they are full you want them removed from the circuit, then a low amp charge as needed. They can not handle current inrush or voltage spikes either.

hey thanks for the info i wish i would have looked into this a little bit more and made a thread like this lol. o well live and learn right!

I hope they last the winter i guess so when i get out of school i can drop in some xs or batcap which ever is in my price range!

yeah thanks for all the info i learned a ton and you saved me some hard earned cash thanks a lot bro and if you have a good battery for sale pm for sure