Sign in to follow this  
the fat kid

whole system change, opinions appreciated

first off i REALLY hate to be "that guy" that posts these, "help me build my sytem" threads. however i guess i just have to break down and do it.

so.

basically heres my deal.

current setup is this

4 diamond audio d1 tens, downfire, sealed with a cube per sub

diamond d3 1100.1

diamond d1 250.2

alpine type r 6.5 component set

alpine ida-x001 head unit

i hit 135.6 db on a termlab playing the wocka flocka song "no hands". i couldnt play their test tone cd cause the alpine is a media reciver and i had no way to the the cd onto my hard drive to playback. nor did i know what a sealed box should even sound best at. but thats irrelavent.

im planning on this setup next, money is a bit of an issue but i think this should work. i have questions on most of the components but ill ask after the list.

2 fi q 12s ported (1000-1200 rms each)

kicker 2500.1 mono (2 ohms: 2500.1)

2 sets of the RE XXX 6.5 components (150 rms)

kicker IX500.4 (2 ohms: 125 watts x 4 chan.)

and id be keeping the head unit and probably running a pc and 10" monitor in there, as well as a big fancy fiberglassed box. however the enclosure will be all 1" mdf. the fiberglass will be more of a cosmetic addition to the box, and it will flow in between the bucket seats into a console that would hold the pc as well as the headunit relocation.

now questions.

the fi q reccomened ported box size is 1.8-2.5 cuft @ 28-33Hz. what affect does it have if the enclosure is built to the small or large side of that range, and the subs will be downfire, does the port need to be as well or does it need to be anywhere in particular to improve the sound?

can the kicker 2500.1 push these two subs? not that im on an extreme budget but i dont want to spend alot over 700 the kicker ive found for 649 online.

are the re xxx components worth a shit midbass wise? i have a set of alpine type r's currently, but i cant stand the amount or lack of midbass i have.

would the kicker 4ch. amp push the re's well enough?

lastly,

is there ANY negative aspects to the fiberglass part of it? the actual enclosure will be completley built of 1" mdf. the fiberglass is more just for the looks of it.

and my current subwoofers are tens, they have an xmax of 11mm each, so these two fi subs being 12s and having almost triple the excursion should be a noticeable amount different on a meter? i figure what im losing in surface area im making up for in excursion.

sorry so long, but i dont wanna make a 3500 dollar mistake and hate all of this when im done.

oops forgot, this is going in a 2008 dodge ram single cab truck, and yes ive checked i have room, i have about 6 cubes available.

heres a sketch of the box to help visualize what im saying.

16748717856661884080010.jpg

thanks in advance.

If you are looking for higher numbers on the meter, then I'd go with the BL's not the Q's. I've heard good things about the RE XXX's, I'm sure they'd be fine. And for the fiberglass, I don't think that is going to affect the performance of the subs. Also, look into sundown/incriminator/cresendo/etc for amps. You are likely to find an amp that dishes out more power than the kicker for a better price.

thanks for the response. the only reason i was going with the q is because the truck is my daily driver, and i do listen to music, im worried that the bl will be a bit too much on the spl side.

Go with the bl ! Maybe just one will be enough, get the 4" coil and a 1500 w amp. (Sundown, or cheaper : Clarion, Audioque, ...).

You can run only one set of comps in the front. No need for a second set. This will allow you to buy a smaller amp, a small 4 channels ( that you will run bridged in 2 ch) or a 2 channels one.

Take a look at the Bravox speakers on the ssa store.

Good luck !

BLs can sound really good on music!

Agreed on 1 set of comps and look into Sundown amps. I switched from Kicker amps to Sundown and will never look back.

Go with the bl ! Maybe just one will be enough, get the 4" coil and a 1500 w amp. (Sundown, or cheaper : Clarion, Audioque, ...).

You can run only one set of comps in the front. No need for a second set. This will allow you to buy a smaller amp, a small 4 channels ( that you will run bridged in 2 ch) or a 2 channels one.

Take a look at the Bravox speakers on the ssa store.

Good luck !

Am I correct in assuming that if I go down in surface area that I would have to compensate with excursion? I know moving to ported alone will give me more output but I'd like it to be a good bit louder than I have now.

And as to the components, I was going to put a.set in the factory location and another set in some kicks or the console. If I can nix them it'd be nice cause I could use my current 2ch amp on the single set. Do you think a single set would keep up with two q's or two bl 12s?

Try the single set in the stock location, but do it right and work on the doors(seal holes, sound deadening,...).

You will add the second set, if you need it later.

when i was looking for some good components most of the sites i go to, said the RE xxx were over priced and there are alot better out there for the money......... check around before you buy them...