Sign in to follow this  
KeeEnterprises

Whats THe Best Dampening Sound Suppressor???

I am thinking about buying some off E-bay and they have good feedback and all but is this brand name any good? Havent heard too much as far as quality and who's line of Dynamat/Sound suppressing material to know which to get? All I know is I need something because my car rattles everywhere inside and the trunk is falling apart. Need advice!! The listing on e-bay is {http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5828796442&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1}

That seems either kinda cheap or just a good deal! They always have a list of bidders so it might be good but I don't know.50 Sq.Ft for #49.99 + 19.99 to ship. What ya'll think? Thanks

Get some Second Skin B stock damplifier.

Way better than any asphalt based deadner

fatmat, brownbread, secondskin, etc... they're all decent.

best imo are the cascade audio engineering deadeners. they don't come cheap like the others and there's a reason for that.

fatmat and brownbread are not in the same league as ss damplifier.

Agreed. I have pretty much used everything available short of Raammat. I may use Dynamat if I can get it cheap, but I just stick with Second Skin. The performance is there, I don't have to search for what I need, and if any problems arise, ANT will take care of you.

I had a problem with fatmat, ebay, and Paypal. I ordered some, about a year ago, and have never received it. Fatmat emaile dme saying that Paypal froze their account. I contacted Paypal, they told me that wasn't true, however, they are flagged for a fraudlegent (sp) account.. just not frozen.

I will never buy from fatmat, or use paypal again. I tried to get my money back and couldn't. I wasted about 2 months trying to get things straightened out, and didn't, so I just left it like it was.

Now I use Peal-N-Seal or Grace Select Ice and Water shield.

Just my .02

I've never used second skin but it looks like a better product (and idea in general) than the other tar based damping products.

I put 200sq feet in a 2door bmw and it help an huge amount. When you are looking at tar based product try to find out the total weight not just sq ft. The weight is a better indicator of how thick it will be (and people tend not to over inflate their weight stats like they do thickness)

I bought 200sq ft off of ebay for 110 and it weighed about 80 pounds total. Self adhesive back, it works fine. It smelled like the tar pits for about 2 weeks then a little bit each time it got hot out. But I've had it in for over a year now and there hasn't been a smell in 10 months.

good luck, and get a small roller for really pressing it in there (wooden, often called wall paper roller)

I put up to 10 layers on the wheel wells and at least 4 everywhere else.

later,

b

I have used raam mat(not BXT, older 60 version) and about to start using SS damplifier. The old raamat60 works great and no smell; the new BXT is in my friends car and its even better and can stand more heat. He had probs with the 60 and they were nice enough to send him some extra BXT to replace it.

I decided on SS this time because of the good opinions, but mainly because they had the 25% SI.net discount at the time.

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice! I have already won the bid for 50 sq. ft and now I am a lilttle worried because of the response from TechSys and how he was treated in his purchase! I wish I would of read this before I bid that would of stopped me from buying most likely! Maybe I'll just not pay and take a non paying item strike! Where can you buy the SS Dampening stuff and for how much? It seems like theres alot of good things agreed upon by everyone about there product. How much would 50 sq.ft. be though? THanks again

I've used Raammat and SecondSkin Damplifier.....and frankly, I really liked the Raammat better.

www.raamaudio.com

Best value mat on the market, IMHO (and I was saying this prior to the sound deadener showdown, thank you very much :P ). And Rick (the owner) is a great, great guy. One of the best in the industry.

I've used RaamMatBXT and I bought 100 sq.ft. of Fatmat off ebay a few months ago and installed some of it.

Frankly, i'd rather pay the $120 for 60sq ft of raammat than the 100 sq ft of fatmat. the Raammat was a much better product.

I've used Raammat and SecondSkin Damplifier.....and frankly, I really liked the Raammat better. 

www.raamaudio.com

Best value mat on the market, IMHO (and I was saying this prior to the sound deadener showdown, thank you very much :P ).  And Rick (the owner) is a great, great guy.  One of the best in the industry.

Any group buys or site member discounts. I know you go to alot of sites so I thought I'd ask....sucks being poor...especially when you want a couple a hundred square feet of the stuff....

Did you like it better because it was cheaper or beause it did a better job ?

Simply liked it better.

Performance was just as good in terms of deadening. Raammat was just as easy to apply. And the Raammat's aluminum layer didn't tear/rip nearly as easily as the Damplifier's did. The Damplifier's aluminum backing tears and rips extremely easily, Raammat's doesn't. Every time I tried to get the Damplifier into a creavace(sp?) or odd bend the damned aluminum backing would rip and tear. Never had that problem with Raammat.

Then factor in that it costs less, and it's really a no-brainer.

My roll of RAAMmat arrived today :D

Got it for $100 shipped ;)

Simply liked it better.

Performance was just as good in terms of deadening. Raammat was just as easy to apply. And the Raammat's aluminum layer didn't tear/rip nearly as easily as the Damplifier's did. The Damplifier's aluminum backing tears and rips extremely easily, Raammat's doesn't. Every time I tried to get the Damplifier into a creavace(sp?) or odd bend the damned aluminum backing would rip and tear. Never had that problem with Raammat.

Then factor in that it costs less, and it's really a no-brainer.

The tearing would get annoying.

Thinner backing= doesnt hold the shape as well

Raammat was just as easy to apply.  And the Raammat's aluminum layer didn't tear/rip nearly as easily as the Damplifier's did.  The Damplifier's aluminum backing tears and rips extremely easily, Raammat's doesn't.  Every time I tried to get the Damplifier into a creavace(sp?) or odd bend the damned aluminum backing would rip and tear.  Never had that problem with Raammat.

So does this mean you are getting your own personal install into effect or is this just from prior experience?

I was impressed with the dnyomat extreme that we put in slackers rear hatch, picked up more on the mic than I had guessed

I already have a coat of BrownBread all over my car. I have looked into adding more to the doors of my car. Would you all suggest a Liquid base or another sheet kind of deadener?

if you were going to do both, which should you do first, or can you do either first?

Mat first, liquid second...

Oh, and I checked, RAAMmat has better quantity pricing...$109 for each roll if you order two or three...so Matt, want to go in on two or three rolls? :D

I could always find a use for another 60 square feet somewhere, hehe

wait... why not liquid first? liquid will stick more no? if the mat falls off then the liquid will fall with it.