RaTtLz

getting bit by an 18 inch bug

Hi folks, after a long f'd up process trying to figure out what was wrong with my tarantula amp. I decided to trade a dude for his autotek mean machine 3000.1 (before maxxonics bought them). Anyhow, that amp is only 2 ohm stable bridged. Therefore, I can only run 1 of my Ti Elite 12's (dual 4ohm). It simply is not enough output. So I thought about it and decided that The happiest I was, was when I had an 18 Cerwin Vega circa 1998. After selling my last Elite, I will have roughly $400 for an 18. I decided to make my car a 2 door and take the rear seats out and put the box back there. I don't want to wall it off.....yet. So I should have plenty of room for whatever Driver I choose. I have it narrowed down between a Fi BL or a SSA Xcon. would it be better to get a dual 1ohm and run the full 3000 watts (rms) or get a dual 2ohm and run 1500 watts to either driver? I play alot of different kinds of music from metal/rap/instramental/bass. I looked at the box desig for the xcon. what would be the best recommended box size?

To sum up?

Budget $400

1: better driver for my needs

2: what ohm configuration

3: optimal box design for my music type

Thanks for the input!

Personally speaking, i would look for a used BTL or get the xcon. You can find a used 18" 2nd gen in great condition for that price (i just sold mine for $350). Are you planning on adding another one to the system later? if not get D1's and if you're worried about having too much power from the amp just get your gains properly and you'll be fine. if you got a BTL, i would do 7.4 net cubic feet (after displacement and port area) tuned to around 34hz for your listening type. But thats just me!

Best of luck on your search. Have you heard any of the mentioned drivers in person?

Thanks man, I haven't personally heard either of those in person. I think a few people use them in the metro which is a couple hours from me. (I live in the boonies). I don't think I'll need another one as I am not gonna be competeing for spl and I don't think 2 will fit without a wall. I'll have to shop around for the BTL.

Anyone else have ideas or comments?

you can always buy my 2 (2 ohm fi 18" bls ) for 520 shipped lol worth a try :eek5wavey:

HAHAH the irony. i just pm'd edgar about his 18's. lawls

HAHAH the irony. i just pm'd edgar about his 18's. lawls

Um, so are you buying them? Or do I have a chance at gettin one. If I do edgar please pm me.

Send the man a PM now!! :)

I'm not purchasing the woofers.

Pretty good deal on those BLs but other than that i vote xcon. Driver vs. driver xcons are louder and sound better.

Hey man I got my 18" Incriminator Death Row up and running if you want to come over and hear it as soon as the snow melts!

:drink40:

I think an SSA Xcon would be perfect for what you want. Unless you get a good deal on a Fi BL/Btl on here :) those are both good as well. I love my 18" Fi ssd, I just want more output as Im a basshead and need like 30,000wrms before Im happy. :)

( I would even consider sellin you my 18" Fi Ssd if you don't find another deal first ) Im plannin on gettin a new setup soon if possible. Its dual 2ohm and can run 800-1000w all day long :)

3Kw is too much for BL's and XCON's, look into BTL's as previously stated.

This is a monster bug. By the way, what is it's name?

N I G H T S H A D E.............