Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Extending power and ground wires?

I was thinking of extending my power and ground wires to give me a little more flexibility with my amp install. Would it be ok to solder some extra length onto the existing wires instead of having to make a whole new run? It would probably only be a foot extra at the most.

What size wire? And where is the wire that's going to be extended? You could add another inline fuse, decent way to extend without having it pose a threat to shorting out, but it may add a little more resistance into the line.

Or depending on your budget or install, you could add a small battery for that transition.

4 gauge. The way the wire is set up now, I'm pretty much limited on getting an amp that has all inputs and controls on one side. If I can extend it a little, then I'll be able to open up my options on what I can get, since I'll be able to get something that has RCA inputs on one side and power/ground/remote inputs on the other. I'll see if I can find some pics of how it's set up now (it's raining so I can't get any pics at the moment).

solder is fine.. also if you go to lowes in the electric sections they have aluminum blocks with a hole on each side and screws .. they are made for this kind of deal

You could get two of these

Stinger Wire Coupler Ebay

Should work fine, I would put electrical tape over them or something though to prevent grounding. Cheaper than fuse holders and less resistance.

X2 on the Stinger Splice mentioned above.

I also agree with this option!

Thanks, guys. That coupler was exactly what I'd been looking for but couldn't find them (searching pwns me :suicide-santa: ).

I was thinking about that http://darvex.com/st...Block-26p14.htm just for power. There is the same for ground.

I use one in my install, and I was so happy to find it. My power wire was too short when I tried to add a batt in the back, so I used it. One side is going to my mids amp, and the other to the secondary batt (and to the bass amp, with a 150A fuse). The third is the input from the front battery of course.

I hope you understand what I mean !

The Stinger option looks very dangerous, as it's exposed metal.

Best option is to use the Stinger coupler for the ground, and get a standard ANL style fuse for the power for extra saftey and much better looks. :-D

The Coupler would be ok for the Positive if heat shrink is used.

The Stinger option looks very dangerous, as it's exposed metal.

That was something I was wondering about.

The Coupler would be ok for the Positive if heat shrink is used.

I also thought of this. :fing34:

I was thinking about that http://darvex.com/st...Block-26p14.htm just for power. There is the same for ground.

I use one in my install, and I was so happy to find it. My power wire was too short when I tried to add a batt in the back, so I used it. One side is going to my mids amp, and the other to the secondary batt (and to the bass amp, with a 150A fuse). The third is the input from the front battery of course.

That is dangerous ?

I'd better use a fuse instead of the distribution block ?

Sorry OP

If I was doing this I would buy copper tubing, crimp it and heat shrink.

That is dangerous ?

I'd better use a fuse instead of the distribution block ?

Sorry OP

If there is no fuse(s) already in place then a distro block is not a good thing. I would certainly use a fuse by the battery at the minimum.

J

There is a fuse right after the front battery, then a distr block in the back just before the rear bettery. A fuse in inline just between rear batt and the amp.

And another fuse between the distro block and the mids amp.

everything works fine, so far.

I need something more ?