Havasufreak

what size aero port for fi bl 15??

im starting my new box build soon and curious what size aero port to use.

the box will be 4 cu ft.

should i use 1 6" port

or

2 4" ports

i used psp-inc.com and both would fit with the size of my box. just curious what u guys would use!?

Thanks!!

You will need/want more port area than that, just fyi.

A single 6" port will have enough surface area for most 15" drivers at all but full output. You will get small amount of compression at certain frequecies when you are nearing full output, you may or may not notice this.

The single 6" has more area then the pair of 4"s.

If you wanted less compression you could try 3 of the 4" ports or a pair of the 6" ports, but they (6") more than likely will be too long with your tuning for a box that size....

hmm.

well my dimensions are:

21" tall

18" wide

19" long top

32" long bottom

...so thats what i have to work with. i would like for the ports not to be facing up... maybe i can squeeze (3) 4" ports in the front of the box? i just cant find ports that size for sale. unless i make my own..

or i can just use a single 6" and put that on the side of the box?

Edited by Havasufreak

Last year I ran two 6" aero ports for a BL. Did great.

is the tuning not relevant to the question?

OP might want to post that before you make a decision.

well im guessing for a bl 15... 33 to 36 hertz is what i would like?

since i want to be in that general area it still leaves me with either getting 2 6" ports or 3 4" ports i suppose. i guess i shall wait til my box is made and see what works.

thanks for your help guys!

Last year I ran two 6" aero ports for a BL. Did great.

must have been a big box!

4 cubes net but most of the ports were external. Got a official 146 at the headrest with car off.

Single 6" at the very least...triple 4" would be nice. I still love slot ports because length doesn't matter, still easy to build even if the port needs to be 40" long.

hey ram!

instead of buying from precision can i just use some pvc from home depot instead?

it looks like 3- 4" ports is the winner. it would work well by putting the ports above the sub in the front of the box

Edited by Havasufreak

hey ram!

instead of buying from precision can i just use some pvc from home depot instead?

it looks like 3- 4" ports is the winner. it would work well by putting the ports above the sub in the front of the box

Do not use PVC and assume that you can use the same size and quantity as you would aeroports. The flare is what makes you able to use less port area with aeroports. If you use PVC you have to abide by the same rules as a slot port, as far as port area goes.

interesting.. well thanks for the tip ram! ill take your word for it.

and thanks for all your help guys! looks like ill order up 3 - 4" aeroports this week!

I had my 15" xcon in a 3.1 ft3 (net) box with 2 4" aeroports, 17" long each I loved it, and still have the box.