the727kid

Challenger Build, 2nd Round

I had a thread on here a while ago but just decided to start a new one. I really only have been updating the build log on DIYMA but I'm bored so I am making a new one here.

System consists of CD1-Pro Mini Horns for the Tweeters, X69 for the mids, and a Kicker IX500.4 bridged to each pair. That is what is in right now. Right now I just started on an Infinite Baffle set up to mount 2 15" Dayton HFs.

BTW I know pics of the car will be requested so when I clean her this weekend I will post some new ones up.

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

I want to see the horn setup, Tuned in!! :popcorn:

The horns have been a pain in my ass to get in correctly with imaging to flow correctly. I ended up removing the parking brake and relocating the hood release for the drivers side, and cutting into the passenger side kick panel.

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00532.jpg

I haven't taken pictures of the passenger side yet since I have re-done it.

You have to keep me posted on how the front stage sounds. I will be doing ultra mini's and either the x-69 (one pair) or go buy some PA 8" mids.

It sounds awesome. The mids get pretty loud, but overall I am disappointing in the build quality of them so far. I am waiting on my 3rd set to come back in the mail to me, first two had the coils separate from the cone. I run a MS8 and it cuts the horns down ALOT. I didn't really realize this until my 2nd set of mids went, the horns don't even get loud lol (125watts on tap per side too). The system is absolutely disgusting loud with the MS8 processing turned off.

Sounds like what I wanted to hear, I been searching for additional processing as everyone says Im gonna need it. I was looking at the MS8 or new Audio Bit processor that drops this year. Glad I asked you about the mids before dropping $450 on them.

"absolutely disgusting loud" I like it!!!! Planning a setup with horns myself, but with some B&C 10" for mids. Who needs a parking brake???

With one of the Kicker IX amps, no MS8, and passive crossovers, I had the car for tailgating at a USF game. Friends left for the game early while we still were tailgating, said they could hear the car at least 200 yards away clearly. Doors and trunk open of course. They said they would walk next to cars playing music and mine would fade out and then keep walking past that car and hear mine again lol. Don't know how true that is though, they could of been exaggerating because that seems far lol.

Also to the guy who asked about the mids.. I probably wouldn't worry about the same issue I have unless you really put a beating on them. I have ~250w per speaker running active 80hz@18dB. Way more than they need lol.

Here's what I got done today. I just need to make a second baffle and cutout the holes and the hard part is done!

DSC00573.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

Hard part is all done. Now I remember why I almost paid someone to do this lol. Saw dust is the worst thing ever. And parking outside the garage for one day makes my car look like I haven't touched it in months.

Now I need to secure the baffle along the top and bottom, pick up some deadner and seal off the holes and then carpet.

The subwoofer that will be going in...

DSC00577.jpg

Holes cut and almost ready to go!

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00582.jpg

Looking nice!! :popcorn:

Tuned in for this build! Great job on the baffle and rest of the install.

:popcorn:

Thank you! I may end up taking to a buddy to carpet it though. Anyways, secured it on the top and bottom, that thing is SOLID, might help the strength of the car lol. Just have to trim down the stock beauty panel for the trunk floor and carpet the baffle and it is all finished. Picked up some Dynamat on clearance at best buy, door kit is way more than enough, I'll get some of the trunk done as well.

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

Only have one the subs right now, money is tight so waiting on the other. Pretty much done, just need to carpet it but I will have someone do that for me I think.

DSC00590.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

Why IB? Doing anything electrical?

Challengers are my favorite of the "new" muscle cars. Just look super sick. They look like the old ones, yet still blend with all of the 2011 era cars. Perfect meld in my opinion.

IB mainly for trunk space, I use my trunk to the fullest almost every weekend. Also for the fact that I have never heard or done an IB set up before so I wanted to try something new. And also for something to blend in well with my front stage. The front stage may have tons of potential for loudness, but it has more potential to sound amazing =)

Are the subs your using designed for IB use? I'm not familiar with the brand at all and couldn't find much info about them when I googled them.

Yes, they have a fs of 18hz

I did my first I/B install last summer using 4 12" Fi IB3's and was blown away by how good it sounded. If the subs your running perform anything like those you should be pleased. From everything I researched the key thing was to completely seal the cabin from the trunk to prevent cancellation.

Heres a link to how I did my baffle if your interested. I sealed everything up nice and air tight and couldn't be happier with it.

Good luck with the rest of your build hopefully you'll be as pleased with yours as I was.

Wow that is amazing work man. A little further than I want to go with this car lol. I think most of it is sealed off pretty good. Going to deaden the rear deck and look for any holes. Other than that I think it is sealed up pretty good.

Wow that is amazing work man. A little further than I want to go with this car lol. I think most of it is sealed off pretty good. Going to deaden the rear deck and look for any holes. Other than that I think it is sealed up pretty good.

Thanks. I have a bad habit of getting carried away with anything I do. We wanted it to be loud and we got that for sure. I can understand you not wanting to hack into the car too much. You can always add panels if needed to better seal it off if the output isn't to your liking. Keep at it.

Ever get it on a meter? And how much power did you run? Your cone area isn't too much greater.