Havasufreak

bolt terminals

i know there are those terminals you can buy from parts express that are pretty nice, but after shipping its like 20 bucks to my area.

couldn't i just get some bolts at a general hardware store? i know this question has been asked, but every post i see there is not much about if its ok to do and what material bolts should i look into.

all i need are bolts for my wiring and my box should be done!!

lemme know what you guys think!

thanks! :drink40:

Edited by Havasufreak

i'm in a similar situation and was going to be asking the same thing so thanks for beating me to it

stainless or zinc i suppose

Stainless or brass. Im using stainless but only because i got bussbars that are gonna be stainless too. Can wait to hear it bro.

You can definitely buy bolts at the hardware store. I like to use aluminum bolts.

You can use bolts, but remember, steel is a poor conductor. As suggested, your best bet is aluminum or brass.

so if i was to pick a top winner should i go with...

stainless, zinc, brass, or aluminum?

thank you all for your input! :fing34:

I would use aluminum, silicon bronze, or brass in that order. You're not going to hear any difference in any of the materials though.

I do not think it matters much if you used steel, brass or aluminum. There would be very little resistance with that short distance.

I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

awesome! ok thanks!!

heading to the hardware store now. lol.

OH. what size should i get?

Edited by Havasufreak

I do not think it matters much if you used steel, brass or aluminum. There would be very little resistance with that short distance.

YOU good sir would be dead right.....steel, brass hell if its a bolt that is metal and not rusty you could use it. just for shits i just got out out the O scope at work here and tested a 1/4-20 x3 allen socket head bolt and it ohmed out at .0018 ohms.

YOU good sir would be dead right.....steel, brass hell if its a bolt that is metal and not rusty you could use it. just for shits i just got out out the O scope at work here and tested a 1/4-20 x3 allen socket head bolt and it ohmed out at .0018 ohms.

Good to know. Thanks for doing that.

this helps me out also. thanks for the answers. Havas, thank you for posting the question

For my box I just bought a threaded rod and cut two pieces from it. Build log in the signature. Turned out pretty good.

I went with the rod, because I'll be using it again for another box. And I could easily remove the wires from the box. If you have a bolt you have to remove the woofer to hold the other side from the inside so you can unscrew it.