GnomeAudio

Pictures, Anyone?

what benifits do staples have over screws?

they're....um.....well......uh

you don't have to predrill?

Screws = better than staples...

Why? Just cus. All the screws REALLY are suppose to do is hold the box together while the glue on the pieces dry. You can build a box by clamping the pieces together for a while till the glue dries if you really want. I did once with an 8a box. It worked out fine. Just takes more time to do it. And yea... what he said about the pneumatic stapler thing. You cant just... "plop"... in staples into wood thats almost an inch thick. Oh... and the secret to good cuts -> tablesaw! :) Or a guide with a circular saw. I use a big metal square (the tool..not the shape) for a guide and it works out really well. Clamp down the square so the one side lines up with the edge of the wood, then when you cut just run straight up right against that guide and you should be PURDY close.

Will

yes a table saw w/ a guide leads to perfect cuts. It needs to be able to angle the blade as well for those wedge boxes or other wierd shapes.

Gnome Audio, do you have any pics of the boxes w/ carpet?

i don't carpet enclosures. it's messy, expensive, time consuming and i absolutely hate doing it. if anyone is interested in a carpeted box, i have a chitload of carpet left over from back in the day when i used to carpet them. i'll throw some in the box for free and you can DIY :)

Why? Just cus. All the screws REALLY are suppose to do is hold the box together while the glue on the pieces dry. You can build a box by clamping the pieces together for a while till the glue dries if you really want. I did once with an 8a box. It worked out fine. Just takes more time to do it. And yea... what he said about the pneumatic stapler thing. You cant just... "plop"... in staples into wood thats almost an inch thick. Oh... and the secret to good cuts -> tablesaw! :) Or a guide with a circular saw. I use a big metal square (the tool..not the shape) for a guide and it works out really well. Clamp down the square so the one side lines up with the edge of the wood, then when you cut just run straight up right against that guide and you should be PURDY close.

Will

ok Screws equal better? You just said you only have to clamp. So why predrill and then screw and spend money on screws when you can just staple? And yes you can send staples threw 1". I have done it. I Run 120 psi into my gun that shoots up to 1 3/4 staples. And it sinks them. So now why are screws better?

Will

ok Screws equal better? You just said you only have to clamp. So why predrill and then screw and spend money on screws when you can just staple? And yes you can send staples threw 1". I have done it. I Run 120 psi into my gun that shoots up to 1 3/4 staples. And it sinks them. So now why are screws better?

I think will already covered all the bases here but for your benefit, i'll do it again.

1. I don't have a pnumatic staple gun. Even if i did, i'd still probably use the screws for the simple fact that I like the way it looks and when building a custom product for a customer, speed isn't a high priority. I'm not working on an assembly line here and if it takes me an extra half hour to screw the damn thing together, so be it. I'd probably just use that extra half hour for cigarette smoking and beer drinking anyway.

2. In my experience with pnumatic staplers, its easier even for a pro to split the wood. you can put a screw in slowly if it's close to an edge to avoid splitting or draw it back out halfway thru if it acts like its gonna split. you have no such luxury with a 120PSI pnumatic stapler. you either get it right the first time or cut a new piece of wood. when i screw boxes together, i can also testfit the pieces before I glue them together, then back the screws out and apply the glue one piece at a time to avoid using clamps all together.

3. I like screws better. Neener neener neener. :+1:

Will

I think will already covered all the bases here but for your benefit, i'll do it again.

1. I don't have a pnumatic staple gun. Even if i did, i'd still probably use the screws for the simple fact that I like the way it looks and when building a custom product for a customer, speed isn't a high priority. I'm not working on an assembly line here and if it takes me an extra half hour to screw the damn thing together, so be it. I'd probably just use that extra half hour for cigarette smoking and beer drinking anyway.

2. In my experience with pnumatic staplers, its easier even for a pro to split the wood. you can put a screw in slowly if it's close to an edge to avoid splitting or draw it back out halfway thru if it acts like its gonna split. you have no such luxury with a 120PSI pnumatic stapler. you either get it right the first time or cut a new piece of wood. when i screw boxes together, i can also testfit the pieces before I glue them together, then back the screws out and apply the glue one piece at a time to avoid using clamps all together.

you are right but money is time and time is in efficency. also you dont have to staple so close to the edges. And for a custom box who wants to see the screws anyway?

Will

you are right but money is time and time is in efficency. also you dont have to staple so close to the edges. And for a custom box who wants to see the screws anyway?

carpet.....it covers the screws..hehe :finger:

but for real...i'm with gnome here...it may take longer, but screws (with a good glue) just give a person the impression that they won't fail. whereas staples(brads, whatever) even with a glue, just don't seem as sturdy...and after a while, will fatigue enough to let ur box fall apart.

to peavybassist....i won't just glue a box together for anything more then 8's, unless u aren't sending any power. most glue manufactorers even say so right on the bottle

and i gotta get gnome's back on something else....the prefit before glue.....when using screws u have that luxury, and it helps to make sure u cut everything right the first time...

well, that's my two centz....hehe...now we need some pics of some glue and screws.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

CantSee-Ray-RedEx.jpg

no.

i see no pics :banhim: