Sign in to follow this  
audiophile144

System setup need advice / opinions please

I Have a 2000 bmw 5 series. Here is the setup: 1 15 BTL n2 fully loaded powered by a hifonics 2000.1

All under hood elecrical will be done with 0 awg ROCKFORD FOSGATE WIRING.

Stock alt. (I believe it is 160amp)

Either the stock batt or kinnetik batt upgrade will be used

Do you guys think that the cars electrical will be able to handle it? gain will not be set to max.. I jus wanna be able to make car alarms go off with the BTL hhahaha

Thank you for your time

I am not familiar with BMW alternators but I am wondering if the stock alternator is 160 amp.

Yeah, I'd Spring For An Upgraded Battery, At The Least.

Big Three As Well In 1/0.

I Would Hope The Gain Wouldn't Be Set To Max, Use An O-Scope, As Well As On Your Headunit.

I'd Look For A Better Amp If You Haven't Already Purchased One.

I'd Also Look At Welding Supply for Wire, The RF Wire I'm Looking At Is Severely Overpriced.

And I Won't Comment On The Whole Alarm-Setting-Off Conundrum, I'll Let Somebody Else Do That. I'm Cranky Enough As It Is This Early In The Morning.

I am not familiar with BMW alternators but I am wondering if the stock alternator is 160 amp.

yea checked on parts for the 5 series and for the alternators it said the 160 amp alternator that they were selling is built to exact bmw specs.

I Would Hope The Gain Wouldn't Be Set To Max, Use An O-Scope, As Well As On Your Headunit.

I'd Also Look At Welding Supply for Wire, The RF Wire I'm Looking At Is Severely Overpriced.

And I Won't Comment On The Whole Alarm-Setting-Off Conundrum, I'll Let Somebody Else Do That. I'm Cranky Enough As It Is This Early In The Morning.

I might do a batt but if its in great condition then no

Big 3 100%

For the gain I know the sub can handle the hifonics amp 2000rms but its probably not even as powerful as they rate it but I'm not gonna set it to spec for gain probably a lil under spec

Whats wrong with hifonics? For the price its great $300.00 for a 2000.1 thats what im getting for and I've used crunch amps , hifonics lil bro company , the crunch hit nicely and cleanly.

I'll look into welding supply thank you. I can get a RF kit for $120.00 it comes with a anl fuse holder and 20 ft of pure copper 0 awg its Immaculate copper.

You don't think 1 15 BTL N2 on 2000rms can set off an alarm????

Edited by audiophile144

Big 3 100%

For the gain I know the sub can handle the hifonics amp 2000rms but its probably not even as powerful as they rate it but I'm not gonna set it to spec for gain probably a lil under spec

Whats wrong with hifonics? For the price its great $300.00 for a 2000.1 thats what im getting for and I've used crunch amps , hifonics lil bro company , the crunch hit nicely and cleanly.

I'll look into welding supply thank you. I can get a RF kit for $120.00 it comes with a anl fuse holder and 20 ft of pure copper 0 awg its Immaculate copper.

There's better amps out there than the hifonics, especially for that sub, if it were me I'd upgrade to get the most out of that sub. FYI the amp will have nothing to do with how "nicely and cleanly" the sub will hit. Amps have very little affect if any on sound quality if thats what you meant when you said that. When you're looking into an amp the only things you should really worry about is if it puts out rated power and will be durable. I've known someone who had one and it did neither, but thats completely subjective and irrelevant. Anyway that alt may be 160 amp but at how many rpms? I doubt it does that at anything below 4k but im no expert on this. I'd definately get a better battery and maybe even a second one. To answer your car alarm question.....I wouldnt worry about that lol just worry about if it will meet your needs. Good luck man

Big 3 100%

There's better amps out there than the hifonics, especially for that sub, if it were me I'd upgrade to get the most out of that sub. FYI the amp will have nothing to do with how "nicely and cleanly" the sub will hit. Amps have very little affect if any on sound quality if thats what you meant when you said that. When you're looking into an amp the only things you should really worry about is if it puts out rated power and will be durable. I've known someone who had one and it did neither, but thats completely subjective and irrelevant. Anyway that alt may be 160 amp but at how many rpms? I doubt it does that at anything below 4k but im no expert on this. I'd definately get a better battery and maybe even a second one. To answer your car alarm question.....I wouldnt worry about that lol just worry about if it will meet your needs. Good luck man

I cant really afford anything other than the hifonics, ill have a 2 yr warrenty with it and there descent amps. Idk about the alt I need to check and make sure I might call bmw and ask.

Big 3 100%

I cant really afford anything other than the hifonics, ill have a 2 yr warrenty with it and there descent amps. Idk about the alt I need to check and make sure I might call bmw and ask.

I understand. If your on a budget db-r does have sundown refurb amps which would save you some money. You should be alright with that hifonics but I would definately upgrade at least your stock battery. Most ppl running that much power use a second battery otherwise you could be starving that amp and it may harm it.

The hifonics amp is fine they are not the best but it will do the job. The power issue yea deff get a big batt or get two. Also I do not think the hifonics accepts 1/0 wire but I may be wrong

Edited by steveo50

Big 3 100%

I understand. If your on a budget db-r does have sundown refurb amps which would save you some money. You should be alright with that hifonics but I would definately upgrade at least your stock battery. Most ppl running that much power use a second battery otherwise you could be starving that amp and it may harm it.

I wanna get a new amp jus to be safe, I was looking at my stock batt and its 90ah. I calculated how much watts the system is with everything(1840 cuz amps arent 100% efficient) and I will need 128ah to supply everything. So I'm either gonna get one extra kinnetik hc 800 or kinetik hc1200 to add to the stock batt to make 126ah or 140ah(with hc1200) parallel. Or jus get one monster kinetik hc2400. What you think?? Is it bad to have more ah than needed im pretty sure its not cuz everything is fused.

Edited by audiophile144

The hifonics amp is fine they are not the best but it will do the job. The power issue yea deff get a big batt or get two. Also I do not think the hifonics accepts 1/0 wire but I may be wrong

Yea I your right I checked the hifonics HFI 2000.1 and it only accepts 4awg. I'm gonna get the BRZ 2100.1 instead cuz it accepts 0awg and 100w extra is nothing since the amps arent 100% efficient dont you think?

You Can Get A Crescendo BC2000D For $300 Brand New. Eleventy Googillion Times Better Than Some Hifonics.

As Many Times As I've Said That In The Past 3 Days I Might As Well Be A Sales Rep, Lol.

Every Single Lower End Maxxsonics Product Is Garbage.

You Can Get A Crescendo BC2000D For $300 Brand New. Eleventy Googillion Times Better Than Some Hifonics.

As Many Times As I've Said That In The Past 3 Days I Might As Well Be A Sales Rep, Lol.

Never heard of the co. I'll check it out. Lol this hifonics amp is the upper class series BRZ 2100.1, whats soo bad bout hifonics???

I wouldn't exactly say that...

The for the price, they do what they need to do, maybe they don't put out the best wattage at 12v.. but the difference between 1,000 watts and 1,300 watts is humanly impossible to tell the difference since you theoretically need to double the power to gain a noticeable gain (3dB's).

I ran an older bxi1200d at .5 ohms for an extremely long time, never got hot, never burned up.

I Have a 2000 bmw 5 series. Here is the setup: 1 15 BTL n2 fully loaded powered by a hifonics 2000.1

Do you guys think that the cars electrical will be able to handle it? gain will not be set to max.. I jus wanna be able to make car alarms go off with the BTL hhahaha

Thank you for your time

Sounds like you have a good plan. Deff dont set the gain to max...bad idea. Stock alt should do fine for the time being...but if you have the extra money I would deff get one and also a better amp. Also upgrade the stock batt for sure. You running any extra batts in the back?

The RF Wire I'm Looking At Is Severely Overpriced.

RF wire is deff OVERPRICED...but thats all Im going to say as thats what I have ran. :lol2: What other brand would you suggest that is a little more reasonable as I am upgrading my wiring soon?

I can get a RF kit for $120.00 it comes with a anl fuse holder and 20 ft of pure copper 0 awg its Immaculate copper.

You sure?? That doesnt seem right imo (way to cheap). Why do you want to set off alarms? Personally I just like bass for bass nt to annoy people in my neighborhood, that just gives everyone a bad rep :ughdunno:

Welding Supply For Power/Ground

I Use Knukonceptz For Everything Else, Darvex Is Good For Terminals/Connectors.

Welding Supply For Power/Ground

I Use Knukonceptz For Everything Else, Darvex Is Good For Terminals/Connectors.

Thanks...I'll check it out. :fing34:

Those Crescendo amps look nice, the new DC amps too. Both are cheap, but I don't know if the Crescendo are out yet. The DC are available.

Get that brz if you want OP.

I'd rather get a Sundown, but they're a little more expensive.:peepwall:

You should focus on getting and building the right box for your equipments AND for your car. That will make a HUGE difference.

I wanna get a new amp jus to be safe, I was looking at my stock batt and its 90ah. I calculated how much watts the system is with everything(1840 cuz amps arent 100% efficient) and I will need 128ah to supply everything. So I'm either gonna get one extra kinnetik hc 800 or kinetik hc1200 to add to the stock batt to make 126ah or 140ah(with hc1200) parallel. Or jus get one monster kinetik hc2400. What you think?? Is it bad to have more ah than needed im pretty sure its not cuz everything is fused.

No you cant really have too much power. Im with everyone else on the amp situation though. Crescendo or Sundown would be your best bet. I know very little about DC amps so I wont comment on that. Like I said you could always wait and see if db-r has anything in stock like a SAZ-1500 or SAZ-2000. The 1500 would be lighter on your electrical and cheaper. They sell sundown amps here at ssa too. Oh and btw you can always get an adapter for that hifonics to run 1/0 awg. Maybe install it for now and save up for a sundown or wait for the crescendo to come out. Or do some research on DC. Like I said as long as its putting out rated power and doesnt heat up or break your fine. A nice amp stays cool, puts out rated power, and is dependable. Cool being a relative term just meaning it wont overheat

Edited by theluker69

Thank you for your time

Sounds like you have a good plan. Deff dont set the gain to max...bad idea. Stock alt should do fine for the time being...but if you have the extra money I would deff get one and also a better amp. Also upgrade the stock batt for sure. You running any extra batts in the back?

The RF Wire I'm Looking At Is Severely Overpriced.

RF wire is deff OVERPRICED...but thats all Im going to say as thats what I have ran. :lol2: What other brand would you suggest that is a little more reasonable as I am upgrading my wiring soon?

I can get a RF kit for $120.00 it comes with a anl fuse holder and 20 ft of pure copper 0 awg its Immaculate copper.

You sure?? That doesnt seem right imo (way to cheap). Why do you want to set off alarms? Personally I just like bass for bass nt to annoy people in my neighborhood, that just gives everyone a bad rep :ughdunno:

I've gotten several good deals on RF kits mostly from Sonics my 1/0 kit was 79.99 with fuse and everything needed (looks like its 209$ now). x2 on the bass for bass can't hear my mids and ruins the song with all the fart/rattle type bass.

Those Crescendo amps look nice, the new DC amps too. Both are cheap, but I don't know if the Crescendo are out yet. The DC are available.

You should focus on getting and building the right box for your equipments AND for your car. That will make a HUGE difference.

x2 couldn't have said it better myself :)

X3 did you ever say what type of enclosure your running? I just assumed youd be going ported