RAM_Designs

Step by Step Box Design

I've had people requesting to make a vid showing the whole design process...that takes pretty long, so I figured I'd snap little images along the way and make the time pass a little quicker. The vid came out grainy for some reason. I guess I'll get better at this as I do more.

Anyways, this is for a custom TSS based woofer by SPL Audio. The box is 3.25ft^3 tuned to 35hz with a 14.5"x4" port. This is going in the back of a Civic sedan.

Well I hate you couldn't help me out with a design I requested a few weeks ago! I got my design for my first box ever (for 2 bl 18's) from you a couple of years ago on the caraudio forum. :fing34:

Well I hate you couldn't help me out with a design I requested a few weeks ago! I got my design for my first box ever (for 2 bl 18's) from you a couple of years ago on the caraudio forum. :fing34:

What were the circumstances? I get a lot of requests and can't remember which was yours.

Cool vid!! :fing34:

That's a really good vid, thanks for posting :fing34:

What program did you use to make it if you dont mind?

I see you used sketchup, but what did you use for recording the screen?

I used VLC to record. Seemed to come out pretty good. It says it's 1080p but I haven't tried it on the flatscreen yet.

Keep up the videos man. They look great.

What were the circumstances? I get a lot of requests and can't remember which was yours.

I'm not sure, I put in a request on your site about 4 weeks ago and never heard anything back.

I'm not sure, I put in a request on your site about 4 weeks ago and never heard anything back.

Weird. Let me know if you need another design, and I'll do it for free to make up for it. :D

I see you used sketchup, but what did you use for recording the screen?

I used VLC to record. Seemed to come out pretty good. It says it's 1080p but I haven't tried it on the flatscreen yet.

Keep up the videos man. They look great.

I use CamStudio...free and easy for me to use.

Curious why you draw 45's for the port like that. I've seen other people use that box method, seems like it takes quite awhile.

Curious why you draw 45's for the port like that. I've seen other people use that box method, seems like it takes quite awhile.

It's just the way I've always done it. Do you draw a 45° angle across the MDF on the inside port corner, then pull off of that?

The way I do it really doesn't take hardly any time...maybe 30 seconds altogether.

Edited by RAM_Designs

II use the protractor in sketchup.

II use the protractor in sketchup.

Ah, good thinking. Thanks for the tip.

fing34.gif Just seems to me it would be faster then drawing the 8 lines to make the two boxes. shrug.gif

I am getting alot of splitting seams on my box. I use liquid nails and drywall screws, I drill pilot holes, put glue on both pieces that are getting joined, space the screws apart 4-6 inches and still my box comes apart. I use 3/4 MDF. I know more bracing will help, but I have a little over 4 cu. ft. and don't want to go less than that. Yall got any tricks?!?!? Or is that why I always see box builds, lol !

I am getting alot of splitting seams on my box. I use liquid nails and drywall screws, I drill pilot holes, put glue on both pieces that are getting joined, space the screws apart 4-6 inches and still my box comes apart. I use 3/4 MDF. I know more bracing will help, but I have a little over 4 cu. ft. and don't want to go less than that. Yall got any tricks?!?!? Or is that why I always see box builds, lol !

That's odd that you're having that much of a problem with splitting the MDF. I predrill and use 1.625"(1 5/8") coarse thread drywall screws, and I've literally never split the MDF...even when screwing 2" from the corner.

fing34.gif Just seems to me it would be faster then drawing the 8 lines to make the two boxes. shrug.gif

I use the "square" tool and just drag from the end of the line over to the side of the box until in snaps into place for a perfect square. So really it's just pulling out two squares...but your way is still quicker, I'll try to train my mind to do that now.

That's odd that you're having that much of a problem with splitting the MDF. I predrill and use 1.625"(1 5/8") coarse thread drywall screws, and I've literally never split the MDF...even when screwing 2" from the corner.

I don't ever have an issue either.

As long as you're using the correct size bits for the size of the screw shank

and you pre-drill deep enough, there shouldn't be any problem.

I even use the 2 1/2" gold colored coarse threads when I build enclosures.

try countersinking and see if you still get splits.

or just stop using screws if they aren't for you and just use clamps.

That too but shizzzon is gay so I don't know... :greddy2:

u want all my gay knowledge, lmao

That too but shizzzon is gay so I don't know... :greddy2:

:roflmao:lol_hitting1.gif10.gif

I'll show u all gay in a minute when i whip out my wood for my new build and show you how long i can meter without a sweat.

You'll be wanting my cones in your face and ooooh that fresh smell of wood.. mmm hmm mmm... Oh how you like the big port tube!

:gayhaaay1: That gay meter is rising! :greddy2: