MrBrooks

any disadvantages to multiple small ports?

I've been playing with a port calculator and I find that 30 1/8"x3/4"(which just happens to be my wall thickness) holes will tune the box to a nice 30.5Hz. Now, is there any reason for NOT doing this???

Thought I might arrange them in the shape of an SSA logo for effect.

Port noise and unusual response anomalies come to mind. It will pretty much just act like a leaky sealed box. When ports are too big, or too small they stop working like a port and to me 30 1/8" ports are just way too small as it's only .36sqin of port area.

If you want to do something for an SSA logo effect, I'd suggest embossing, or a router for that. A bunch of tiny ports are just going to cause problems.

I thought it may pose a problem of some kind. Just thought if it work the "cool factor" would be off the chart. I have seen boxes with multiple circular saw blade width slashes in them that sounded awesome. Thought this shouldn't be far off that.

I wouldn't.

Sounds like a bad idea

Maybe just have to construct a test box with a panel with the 30 small ports in it that can be removed and replaced with a different one in the future? Like just screw it into place for temp testing then if it sounds like crap remove it and put in a properly ported side and glue it up. I don't know just a thought i had may also be a bad idea.....

I would read through this. A great paper written about ports!