imhungnurnot

2006 Acura RSX-S

awsome build man im lovin the rsx. So how do you like the sound of the sub, does it hit lows pretty good or would you say its more peaky? have always been interested in the dd but people say they dont sound all that great. what do you think of it

The sub is very musical.. as far as i know being peaky is due to the enclosure and the vehicle.. However, DD recommends 40Hz tuning. I am not sure why, but every DD woofer that i've seen doesn't have progressive spiders unlike most of the subs (if not all) discussed on this forum (Fi, SSA, Sundown). I know DD concentrates on minimizing moving mass. When you think about Newton's second law (F=ma) less mass with same force yields greater acceleration.. More acceleration=increased spl levels..

Anyway, mine sounds clean with the aero ports (10 in^2 port area per cube). Whoever said they don't sound clean probably heard a DD in a poorly designed enclosure. I know I am not an expert, but I understand the basics. If there is a lack of port area, you will hear port noise and the port will serve as a large leak in the box after the woofer reaches a certain excursion. DD also recommends 16 in^2 port area per cube, but port length gets ridiculously long when you do so. That also assumes that you are using a standard slot port. I have considerably less port area than recommended but the flares on the aero ports are supposed to allow for the use of less port area. I might have been better using a 12 and using 16 in^2 per cube. But port area only becomes an issue at high excursion. I think i could get that set up louder if I had more port area

As far as "getting low" is concerned.. thats enclosure dependent as well.. however, with my setup (tuned to 36 Hz) it'll play down the 30 Hz without a problem, but it sounds like the car is about to fall apart lol. The hatch sounds like it is opening a bit, so i think i am loosing a great deal of output because of that on the lower notes.

Bottom line, DD makes a quality product. But i've never owned other woofers like the BTL or XCON to compare them. My setup right now is more than I need. Its loud and fun, but I'm thinking about picking up two SA-8s and put them on my 2500 lol. The weight is was is really discouraging. The car is noticeably slower, and doesn't handle as well! Hence, the thought of downsizing to the SA-8s.

Coming soon:

-XS Power D5100R under the hood

-Big three

-0.25 ohm testing :fing34:

Good luck :peepwall:

Aside from that, build looks great :)

LOL. I will measure the impedance that the amp is "seeing" at my peak frequency before I yank on the amp. Hopefully its around .7-.9 I've never tried to check impedance. I dont know if I can set the DMM to ohm's and read it, or if I will need to clamp the amp and read the output voltage with the DMM and then use ohm's law to calculate the impedance. I will contact a local guy who is familiar with clamping amplifiers and see what he says. I don't want to run the amp below .5-.7 ohms. We will see........ :ehh:

looks good Bro

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback.

DMM's don't measure impedance, it is not the same as resistance.

A clamp isn't necessary either.

Of course it depends on why you are measuring it in the first place the easiest way.

How did I miss this build ...

Very nice ride bro ...

DMM's don't measure impedance, it is not the same as resistance.

A clamp isn't necessary either.

Of course it depends on why you are

measuring it in the first place the easiest way.

Well the goal is to see what load my amp is seeing.. wouldn't clamping it work? I'm trying

to recall info from my circuits class but nothing useful is coming to mind for A/C circuits.. how would you go about measuring impedance?

Edited by Im Hung N ur Not

Well the goal is to see what load my amp is seeing..

And then what?

Well the goal is to see what load my amp is seeing..

And then what?

burp it at my peak frequency with the sub wired to 0.25 ohm.... if the amp doesn't s load smaller than about 0.6-0.7

Update:

XS D5100R under hood

no big 3 (yet)

So I clamped my amp with the sub wired to 1 ohm. At 44 Hz, my rise was 3.5 ohm and my power was 1200. Then we did it again with the sub wired to 0.25. At 44 Hz, my rise was 1.5 and my power was 3700. Now, I wish I would have had a scope on that, but I probably clipped pretty badly.

Anyway, I ran the car with the sub wired at 0.25. 148.8 Hz in the kick on a term lab using the globe. 2.1 db gain! :woot:

Nice score man!

Nice built. I own a rsx also! :eek5wavey: Did you ever get to do the big 3 under the hood? I try to do it and its was a pita so now i have the big 2 :peepwall:

Nice built. I own a rsx also! :eek5wavey: Did you ever get to do the big 3 under the hood? I try to do it and its was a pita so now i have the big 2 :peepwall:

Ha, yea thats why i've never committed to doing it. That alternator is hard to get to. I'm sure if you take the intake manifold off you can get to it, but I'll only get that if I buy a high flow manifold. So I still haven't started on the big three.