Sign in to follow this  
RAM_Designs

Monster Bandpass: TOP SECRET!

i know u are the designer and all that.. but i have one question...

Why is the port down thie middle in a T form rather than flat and to the side?

Wow even if that were for 6.5's that thing is monster and would weigh a freakin ton!

Just playing around or is that for a customer?

If the width is there that port would allow the seats to be reclined a little further. Idk just a guess

Just personal preference and what the customer wanted. The box is going to be up close to the front seats, so we didn't want a port on the side firing right into a seat/person.

ah.. so do you actually model bandpass designs or is the enclosure specs based on customer preference too?

I am curious about modeling bandpass because i do not know if the modeling in WinISD is actually accurate compared to other designs winIsd can do.

Reason i say that is WinISD has no preset alignments for bandpasses which makes me wonder if it's accurate on it's predictions...

ah.. so do you actually model bandpass designs or is the enclosure specs based on customer preference too?

I am curious about modeling bandpass because i do not know if the modeling in WinISD is actually accurate compared to other designs winIsd can do.

Reason i say that is WinISD has no preset alignments for bandpasses which makes me wonder if it's accurate on it's predictions...

I use winISD very(very) loosely for a BP design. A lot of times the peaks that it shows doesn't seem to translate into reality for whatever reason. I've tried this with a few small-scale designs that had a 9-12db peak in winISD but ended up not being bad at all...personal experience and being able to predict the performance based on a similar spec'd sub seems to be the better route to go IMO. I'm just stating what I have found to be the case. I know people will say "but look at the peak in winISD!!!!11!one"...I love winISD, but it isn't perfect, I don't care what anyone says.

It does seem to be quite accurate with ported boxes though. I've changed boxes and metered them to see if the db differences between the graphs translated to real life, and it was pretty close.

Edited by RAM_Designs

I use winISD very(very) loosely for a BP design. A lot of times the peaks that it shows doesn't seem to translate into reality for whatever reason. I've tried this with a few small-scale designs that had a 9-12db peak in winISD but ended up not being bad at all...personal experience and being able to predict the performance based on a similar spec'd sub seems to be the better route to go IMO. I'm just stating what I have found to be the case. I know people will say "but look at the peak in winISD!!!!11!one"...I love winISD, but it isn't perfect, I don't care what anyone says.

It does seem to be quite accurate with ported boxes though. I've changed boxes and metered them to see if the db differences between the graphs translated to real life, and it was pretty close.

lol, yea.. I want to jump into the bandpass bandwagon with some knowledge and get my own experience as i build and test....

I guess time will tell whenever i decide to do it..

Could use it for battery banks

Could use it for battery banks

Haha. Exactly what I thought when I saw the design. Looks cool. :fing34:

lol, yea.. I want to jump into the bandpass bandwagon with some knowledge and get my own experience as i build and test....

I guess time will tell whenever i decide to do it..

I'm a firm believer in experience over programs, since programs can't predict everything. Port size/placement affects things and you'll never see the response curve change when changing one of those variables...

Thing looks awesome!!! Any specs of subs and all that, or that is still TS?

Thing looks awesome!!! Any specs of subs and all that, or that is still TS?

Not allowed to say anything quite yet. This is actually one of a possible 4-5 different setups...just waiting on the OK for which one we're doing.

can you tell what car is this going in ? Must be a huge American car !!!

BTW : the box for the 2 Pioneer sub WORKS VERY WELL !!! My friend is very happy with it ! It goes so low, we can hear it from far away !!! Thanks again !