willch

15'' Xcon/15'' Sundown Nightshade

I'm trying to make a descision between these 2 subs. I plan on running only 1, off of 1500 watts rms. I can make any electrical upgrades that are necessary. I drive a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab, so space is somewhat of an issue. I currently have a box with 2 12's taking up 2 of my back seats, and would like to try and free up some more space. I have heard that the Sundowns do well in smaller enclosures. My main goal is to hit lows, get loud, and sound smooth. I listen to rap/hip hop and Chopped and Screwed music. Any personal experience with either of these subs is appreciated.

Is your enclosure "sitting" in your back seats ??? Or are your seats out and the enclosure taking their place ???

Xcon = better sq, less output.

nightshade = lesser sq, more output.

Although as long as the enclosure is well designed and made, the nightshade will still perform musically.

And enclosure will also play a huge part for output as well.

At least that's my opinion.

The Nightsahde will be a bit more on the SPL side with greater power handling. The XCON is a an SQ sub that handles a lot of power and a great low end!

Either will be able to produce what your looking for but in the end it comes down to install.

Ok, Thanks. And my Enclosure is taking the place of my 'bench' seat in the back. Heres a link to a video if you wanna see.

looks nice... custom fab step up to hold the enclosure down??

I'm extremely happy with the 2 NS 15"s I just got running off 1500rms. :morepower1: :morepower1: These beasts hit notes with some real authority.

yeah, i couldnt bolt the box to the frame of my truck, so i cut a nice piece and carpeted it. Those memphis c3's are decent, but im looking for something a little more smooth and deep, that slaps a little harder and smoother. Also, if the enclosure i would prefer not take up more space that what i have right now, i want to keep one of my back seats.

Both sub woofers are great options, but you need to define what your budget is, and what exactly your goals are from your sub woofers.

Budget - $400 sub

Goals - Not looking to go to competitions or do burps.. So i want a sub that handles lows well, and doesnt get sloppy, but still gets loud. An every day driver thats loud and clean.

Edited by Harper

I will keep my bias out, but I know which driver that leans towards. :)

I've already stated my opinions in the previous posts, but I would like to add that I love my xcons. With my subwoofer level set to zero, the bass blends in very well with the front stage, tight as ever, metallica, tool, is just epic, punches to the stomach :P

Playing material with heavy bass like rap or dubstep, subwoofer level turned up, I can see my windshield flex a little, my steering wheel shakes, brake & gas pedals bouncing back against my feet, my hair on the back of my neck standing up. With each xcon only receiving 500watts...

Tough choice, good luck :D

I'd go with the xcon if $400 is your budget. Its agreat sub, i actually wish i bought it. my friend has one 12 inch in his s10 and it hits clean, even on the lows. so id go with xcon. they're pretty good priced and im sure theyll last. 1750rms is plus too.

With $400 being your budget any of the woofers you mentioned are well over it.... Getting a 15" XCON will bring you close to $500 when all said and done(shipping) .... Nightshade I believe has "free" shipping but I could be wrong but it is still above the $400 mark... Just saying... :peepwall:

With $400 being your budget any of the woofers you mentioned are well over it.... Getting a 15" XCON will bring you close to $500 when all said and done(shipping) .... Nightshade I believe has "free" shipping but I could be wrong but it is still above the $400 mark... Just saying... :peepwall:

ok, all said and done budget - $600

It does not cost close to $100 to ship an Xcon in the lower 48.

My XCON15 was $449.85. $60.85 was shipping costs and I live a state or so over from where it was shipped from iirc.

To the op. Both drivers will sound good in an optimal enclosure.

I never heard a NS personally. I would definitely buy one (or a Z which I did buy) if I wanted to replace my XCON with another 15.

I will keep my bias out, but I know which driver that leans towards. :)

:peepwall:

:drink40:

I would go with the xcon .Beter overall sq. :peepwall:

get the nightshade!

do you already have an amp?

It does not cost close to $100 to ship an Xcon in the lower 48.

My XCON15 was $449.85. $60.85 was shipping costs and I live a state or so over from where it was shipped from iirc.

To the op. Both drivers will sound good in an optimal enclosure.

I never heard a NS personally. I would definitely buy one (or a Z which I did buy) if I wanted to replace my XCON with another 15.

Just saying, before I lucked out with the deal I received the shipping cost was $63 for the XCON 15"..... I think that is close to $500??? :ehh:

either way, had I known the quality of the XCON I know it is well worth the price.... I'm running it in a sealed enclosure with 500w 'MAX' and holy SHIT does the vibration and quality kill everything....!!! Get it man!

Xcon = better sq, less output.

nightshade = lesser sq, more output.

Although as long as the enclosure is well designed and made, the nightshade will still perform musically.

And enclosure will also play a huge part for output as well.

At least that's my opinion.

This is well said. So depending on what your goals are either will be fine in the right enclosure. From what you said my vote is the XCON. Never heard of anyone being disappointed in them :drink40:

How important is box size to you? I'd base my decision on that. They are both great subs. But the NS performs in smaller boxes. The sundown Zv2 would be a good option as well.

I'd say thats a very important factor. I drive a dodge ram 1500 quad cab. Right now im taking up 2 of my back seats, and would try to not take up more.

Im planning on getting the XCONS as I want more SQ's . Hopefully it'll be free shipping for me if I can pick it up locally