Hello im new the audio world and am looking into getting my first system. I am looking at getting a Sundown SA-15 woofer, but am lost on what amp i should get. Im looking to spend around 150 or so on an amp but not sure what would be a good combo with the SA-15. Would an Audio Pipe AP-10001D be a good decision or an AQ 750. Any ideas?

Edited by zebrabach

JL 500/1 slash series baby!!!

JL 500/1 slash series baby!!!

Lol on a budget?

Audiopipe!

Thanks for the advice guys. I've actually found a jl XD600/1 amp on craigslist and the guy agreed to sell it for $150. It doesn't have a variable SSF though only a fixed one @ 30hz. I was going to be building a ported box so I was a little concerned with that. Here's the link to that amp JL XD600/1 let me know what you guys think. I also saw a link for a alpine PDX 600 for $200, but the guy hasn't responded yet. I've read a little about that PDX and it seems like it is a solid quality amp and I like that it is stable at 1-4 ohms. Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated here guys. Thanks

I'd get the JL. best resell value. Great brand. I hope it works fine.

Thank you I had not thought of that. Do you or anyone on here know if that is a good buy for that particular amp? I'm concerned about the fixed SSF is this something that is cause for concern? If I tune more than 3hz above 30hz wouldn't I risk over excursion?

I forgot to mention that I have decided to pass on the PDX. The owner told me that he sent it into protect a decent amount of times and that made me feel uncomfortable about buying it

I'm not sure if this is within your budget, but if you're willing to let go of another $100 you might give this a look. Fantastic amp at a great price when compared to buying it new. Also, I've heard nothing but good reviews about dB-r Electronics. Good luck!

I'm not sure if this is within your budget, but if you're willing to let go of another $100 you might give this a look. Fantastic amp at a great price when compared to buying it new. Also, I've heard nothing but good reviews about dB-r Electronics. Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I had considered dbr, but the shipping would be around 30 dollars which would bring that amp to 290 which is too far over budget

Does anyone have any opinions on the US Amps/RE VLX series? Specifically the VLX 1DE? I found one for $200 here and was wondering what you all thought of it. Are they reliable amps that will do rated power and not overheat?

I would go for the AQ amp, AQ is known for making very solid and under rated amps.

Get the JL Audio XD, I have the 400/4 and love it.

audiopipe ap15001d is 160 shipped brand new with variable subsonic filter and will give plenty of headroom. very solid amp and best price.

get the jl

Get the JL Audio XD, I have the 400/4 and love it.

Any reason why to get the JL over the RE/US Amps? I like the price of the VLX but have only seen a few reviews around. Just curious because the lack of SFF has me trippin. I trust your opinion, but am just curious why it is better specifically. Like are the VLX's unreliable or is that just a really good deal on the JL? Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Hifonics BRZ1200 is a decent cheap amp. they can be found for 175.00 all day.

Thank you I had not thought of that. Do you or anyone on here know if that is a good buy for that particular amp? I'm concerned about the fixed SSF is this something that is cause for concern? If I tune more than 3hz above 30hz wouldn't I risk over excursion?

Why would you want to "tune more than 3hz above 30hz" ?!! 33 Hz is very good for music listening. Gives you good output and good lows !

A lot of subs like tuning around 28-33 Hz, maybe most subs ?...

I originally planed to tune to 35hz because that is suitable for my music preference. I don't listen to much doctored music that would drop much below 30-33HZ. I'm not too worried about having to tune to 33 because I shouldn't hear much of a difference between tuning at 33 or 35. Am I correct in assuming I would have to tune to 33HZ if the JL's SSF is fixed at 30hz? I have read that the general rule is about 3hz below tuning, but it is dependent on the sub and enclosure specs and the amount of power. Do I have the right logic here?

I'd stick to variable subsonic filter. You don't want to be turning your setup upside down so its compatible to your amp. I have never had to have my subsonic filter anywhere near 3hz below tuning but then I don't stay within xmax either. So I like to have the freedom to change it when I want and not have to use output because it ended up being too high.

I'd stick to variable subsonic filter. You don't want to be turning your setup upside down so its compatible to your amp. I have never had to have my subsonic filter anywhere near 3hz below tuning but then I don't stay within xmax either. So I like to have the freedom to change it when I want and not have to use output because it ended up being too high.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I've been looking into AP as you suggested as well. Are there any good external SSF's available? I looked around and didnt see anything, but if the price is right that is something I would be willing to invest in

I would get the JL Slash 500.1D. There's used ones all over Ebay from $100-$200. I purchased one on Ebay for $150 and never had any problems with it. Plus it has a variable ssf plus it has a parametric bass eq built in. It's very powerful for only a 500 watt amps. I never really had to turn it up for it to get loud.

The Hifonics BRZ1200D isnt a bad idea. You can run it at 2 ohms for 900 watts rms. That would be perfect for the SA. I'm running the SA-12 on 760 watts rms.

Edited by semrod