glower0024

question about big 3...

I went out to my car today to run the big 3 and realized that the hot wire that runs from my alt to the battery is a plug not a regular wire like most cars... How do I run that now? The car is a 94 dodge stealth r/t

just run a seperate hot wire from your battery to a bolt on the alt or where the plug goes into the alt there should be a bolt or screw somewhere, I always add on wires and leave the stock ones because they run throughout my engine and fuses and stuff

Could you post a pic of your alt and + connection!

I'll get some pix in a sec but there is a ground that comes off the alt and that has a nut holding it on and then there is the plug where the hot goes into

Ok I may sound like a retard but how the hell do I load a picture on here lol I cant figure it out... And I'm using my phone too so maybe that's what it is...

Ok I may sound like a retard but how the hell do I load a picture on here lol I cant figure it out... And I'm using my phone too so maybe that's what it is...

You upload to your gallery in your user profile or use Photobucket.

I'll get some pix in a sec but there is a ground that comes off the alt and that has a nut holding it on and then there is the plug where the hot goes into

You have a factory ground on the alternator?

Sounds like that is the charge wire not the ground.

I'm pretty sure its a ground, the wire is black and it doesn't run up through the plastic to the battery... I'll get the meter out tomorrow and see if its a ground or hot..

just run a seperate hot wire from your battery to a bolt on the alt or where the plug goes into the alt there should be a bolt or screw somewhere, I always add on wires and leave the stock ones because they run throughout my engine and fuses and stuff

Never "just run a seperate hot wire from your battery to a bolt on the alt". You must find the terminal stud on the back of the alternator, usually marked with a "B" or "Bat" and connect your wire to that and the battery +. I also simply add to the factory wires whenever possible in case I decide to go back to stock.

so where is this pic at?

Either your alternator is TEENY TINY, this adapter is freakin humungous, or you are looking at it wrong.

The pics are in my gallery and yea my alt is pretty small, its only a 90amp alt...

your pics are NOT public so it's useless to us..

sorry for all the problems guys im learning lol and thanx for the help...

Looks like the charge wire to me.

If you are completely unsure disconnect all + connections on the battery. Remove the nut holding the larger gauge wire to the alternator. Separate the wire so it is not touching anything(!). Reconnect the battery connections. Check for +12v at the wire. Disconnect battery + connections, reconnect the wire to the alternator stud. Reconnect battery + connections.

Make sure the wire does not touch anything when it connections at the battery are connected.

I do not see how that wire could be anything but the charge wire.

When adding an additional charge wire you will simply connect it on the same stud the factory charge wire is on (after you verified the +12v).

Looks like the charge wire to me.

If you are completely unsure disconnect all + connections on the battery. Remove the nut holding the larger gauge wire to the alternator. Separate the wire so it is not touching anything(!). Reconnect the battery connections. Check for +12v at the wire. Disconnect battery + connections, reconnect the wire to the alternator stud. Reconnect battery + connections.

Make sure the wire does not touch anything when it connections at the battery are connected.

I do not see how that wire could be anything but the charge wire.

When adding an additional charge wire you will simply connect it on the same stud the factory charge wire is on (after you verified the +12v).

I agree.

Has to be the charging wire, but check it first like Edub suggested.

lol, that's the factory wire harness, not the charging line...

Read up on sending 90A of current safely through a wire.. those little ones aren't going to do it.

And most stock wiring configs force the alternator to ground through brackets, not wiring.

So, for a good experience lesson, take a DMM, set it to DC volts.

Put power probe on that large terminal on the alernator and ground probe on ground post on battery.

IF it reads voltage, tada! that is your power charging cable post on alternator which i can guarantee you it is anyway.

lol, that's the factory wire harness, not the charging line...

Read up on sending 90A of current safely through a wire.. those little ones aren't going to do it.

And most stock wiring configs force the alternator to ground through brackets, not wiring.

So, for a good experience lesson, take a DMM, set it to DC volts.

Put power probe on that large terminal on the alernator and ground probe on ground post on battery.

IF it reads voltage, tada! that is your power charging cable post on alternator which i can guarantee you it is anyway.

Duh that would be chit tons easier. I had s brain fart.