jj1479

Whats the down side of a cortisone shot?

OK as the title says I was wondering if anyone has had a cortisone shot? I just had one today in my left hip as I have a liberal tear from falling down my stairs in April and was wondering how long it will last to keep the pain away? My doctor says it will only last around a month- 2 months max but its different for each person. Just trying to figure out if it was worth the 4.5" 18 gage needle that he shoved into my hip as it hurt worse than the MR arthrogram when they put the iodine into my hip to find the tear. Now I have heard of people getting several over time in their back/knees but my Dr said that I can only have one cause they have to do surgery to repair it within the next couple of months. The reason I ask is my Dr doesn't speak very good english and I hate asking him anything cause i just can't understand what the f**k hes saying. I am a underground coal miner an the company wont let me go back underground till I have the surgery and/or the pain goes away and the doctor wont do the surgery until he sees how/if the cortisone shot will work. I'm just getting pissed cause I've bin off since April 12th and my savings is starting to get low ( cause I keep buying amps and now a alternator :drink40: ) and when I have the surgery he said it will be 5-7 months till I get released to go back to work :puzzled: .

Just trying to figure out how long till the pain goes away? cause its bin over 3 hours and it still hurts like before I got the shot

Are their any side effects to the shot?

Thanks in advance, Joe

Cortisone is a steroid as stated it doesn't last long. It is only for pain and doesn't heal anything. Arthritis is a long term effect. I have had three in my left knee. I normally limp on it for a few days before I feel relief. They have some new stuff they use now but I'm nit sure of the name of it. I have my dr put me half asleep though bc it hurts like he'll. I tore my acl clean into was in a cast and then brace for 8 months

Perhaps an epidural would help?

Isn't that just for your back?

Isn't that just for your back?

Lol, it numbs everything from your hips down... it's reserved for childbirth

And epidural deadens nerves like when the dentist gives you a shot

Cortisone is a steroid as stated it doesn't last long. It is only for pain and doesn't heal anything. Arthritis is a long term effect. I have had three in my left knee. I normally limp on it for a few days before I feel relief. They have some new stuff they use now but I'm nit sure of the name of it. I have my dr put me half asleep though bc it hurts like he'll. I tore my acl clean into was in a cast and then brace for 8 months

Ya I called it cortisone but it had a differen't weird name.

curious as to what u mean by "LOW" in your savings...

No need to tell us publicly but if it's expected to take around 9 months before you can return to work.... you might want to keep that in mind when you are spending money...

I used to get cortisone shots when I was younger for allergies. Every year the Dr would tell me that it would be the last time he'd give it to me as it can damage the cartilage in your joints and cause arthritis like Audible said.

I believe epidurals aren't just for back pain.

And no they aren't used just for child birth.

But im sure your doctor knows best.

curious as to what u mean by "LOW" in your savings...

No need to tell us publicly but if it's expected to take around 9 months before you can return to work.... you might want to keep that in mind when you are spending money...

I try to keep a "just in case fund" as I do work 4-1/2 miles underground and bad things are going to happen its just a matter of when. So I put back as much as I can for well a time like this. I had a little over 3 grand saved this year and I have the disability insurance on our house and 3 car loans. I'm still getting paid as I have short term disability from work that lasts 52 weeks then it will turn over to long term plan. And the short term is 60% of my regular pay so I'm not strapped for cash. I just can't spend like I used to. Plus my wife is a payroll administrator for a big company so she makes pretty decent money. I'll just have to hold off on makeing big purchases for now I guess.

I used to get cortisone shots when I was younger for allergies. Every year the Dr would tell me that it would be the last time he'd give it to me as it can damage the cartilage in your joints and cause arthritis like Audible said.

Ya I was told that it inhibits the healing proses and just masks the pain its just a quick fix.

I believe epidurals aren't just for back pain.

And no they aren't used just for child birth.

But im sure your doctor knows best.

I ask about my options and he said my only option was the cortisone shot and then surgery as the tear wont heal its self due to the movement of the hip.

Cortisone masks the pain... Pain is there for a reason... If something hurts, your body is telling you there is something wrong. If you get rid of that feeling, then your body wont react as well when you feel the "pain" from it. I had cortisone shots in my elbow for a torn ligament back in my highschool wrestling days. It felt great until it fully tore and then it was from nothing to SHIT. I would get things fixed, chances are it wont fix itself.