Moofs

IA 187, hows the midbass?

Wait, this shit is still going on?

Why 80Hz? What about 90Hz, 100Hz? How arbitrary and misled can you be? Seriously. Discussion of response without box included isn't helping anything. At least you've gotten off of using that SDC crap.

no I don't mean 80hz, I mean anything above it. NOT JUST 80. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the 187 now. u guys got me there. as for box. prob like 2-2.5cubes tuned to 35hz.

the reason I ask about how it will sound above 80hz and up, prob set up to like 120hz, is bc no one rly answered it. I know it can be set that high but for this sub, will those frequencies bc heard well.

as for the dcon, I'm going w the 187 bc it's cheapest. my budget for my entire system is 500. I'm gonna save where I can.

I've heard all good things about the dcon. 187. etc. I know they sound good. so regarding those "opinions I've heard" they are only a few and Im just asking. my only concern is getting the sub to play midbass. Not getting the dcon bc of price. prob not getting the SDC bc of all that's been said here. prob going with the 187 but now I just want to know how strong and clear those higher frequencies will be. I want to know if they will roll off, sound weak, etc. I know the car, enclosure and so on are factors but there should be a general answer. I've heard people say that certain subs "roll off and sound faint" the higher they are crossed since they can't produce those notes well. I want to know if the 187 has this issue.

So much of how the 187 will sound and preform in the upper range, is dependent on the enclosure and the system settings. I am surprised you have not looked at the Fi X also. Honestly, much like many of the other experienced members in this thread, I have rarely run a sub woofer above 70hz. My most recent active install, my sub did not come in until 53hz or so, and depending on the song, I could cut it off down until 40hz. But that had a great deal to do with the install and the front stage. My old RF mid's (5.25") ran well down to 65hz or so with out issue, Mach5 MLI's went down to 40hz, AA cabons about the same, etc. etc..

I don't understand why you want your sub to play midbass. It's a Subwoofer, not a Midwoofer !:WTFBubble:

You can get a (good) component set, instal it right with dampening and everything. It will play midbass as you want.

But you'd better chose some good speakers for that, not always the most expensive.

I run a set of Focal 165 KP, and my midbass are niiiice ! If I turn down the sub, my system can still play music nicely. You don't need an expensive set like that but I found some Aura midbass speakers recently, they are very cheap and really nice in the midbass area ! All you need with them, is a tweeter that can be cross low enough.

Good luck !

The "issue" you're describing is much more dependent on the box than the driver. It sounds like you're decided on the 187. Now that you've decided focus on a box design that will accomplish your goals.

the reason I want it to play midbass is so I don't have any big gaps in the sound of my system. I don't want my music to sound like something is missing.

I already bought components. they are powerbass S5C components.

As for the fi X I looked into it in the past and I found no reviews on it etc. and I had a hard time finding it to be any better than let's say a dcon.

And just when I though I decided. looks like I might actually consider the dcon. apparently IA is redesigning the 187 so they are kind of haulting the sales of them. at least according to their sub-forum.

How does the dcon seem for my need. What kind of box specs are recommend for my goals.

as for box. prob like 2-2.5cubes tuned to 35hz.

That'll work for the 12" Dcon

Thanks guys, unless the 187 comes out in the next month or so, I'll get the Dcon.

How can they handle 400rms? I just got a zx400.1 and I heard while they can take that power, its kinda of pushing them.

Also, does SSA have any coupon codes for the Dcon or free shipping, something like that?

As with ANY sub if you give it more power than recommended make sure you listen CAREFULLY for stress. Nearly everything "can" handle more than specified, but only in the hands of an observant owner.

As with ANY sub if you give it more power than recommended make sure you listen CAREFULLY for stress. Nearly everything "can" handle more than specified, but only in the hands of an observant owner.

I mean when I first install it we are going to tune by ear but set the gains fairly low to be on the safe side, then I'm hoping to find someone in my area with an O-scope.

I mean when I first install it we are going to tune by ear but set the gains fairly low to be on the safe side, then I'm hoping to find someone in my area with an O-scope.

If you can hear stress your ear is more than fine. Otherwise you'll set it to XdB on the Oscope and then have music that is recorded at X-YdB (where X can be 0,-1,-2.... or any value and Y can be rather arbitrary as well) which won't help you dial it in.

I have someone more experience then me helping with the build and tuning. I was even told o-scopes dont rly do anything since there is still clipping in most mp3 files any way.

Which is most of my music. I only have like 10% of my music as FLAC, WAV, etc. Rest is mp3.

So I'll prob tune off the ear tuning for awhile.

Thanks guys, unless the 187 comes out in the next month or so, I'll get the Dcon.

How can they handle 400rms? I just got a zx400.1 and I heard while they can take that power, its kinda of pushing them.

Also, does SSA have any coupon codes for the Dcon or free shipping, something like that?

No coupon codes or free shipping, gotta pay for it. Music is dynamic plus you gotta factor in amp efficiency so that amp will not be putting out 400 watts all the time or most of the time. Just set your gains right to match the preout voltage of your source (headunit) and you will be fine.