Moofs

IA 187, hows the midbass?

I'm looking into the IA 187, I know it can handle the lows well but how about higher frequencies? I'm looking for a sub that can handle midbass well since I listen to mostly rock music.

I'm looking to hear from ppl who have personally heard the sub.

Thanks

How high in frequency are you talking? And why do you want your sub to play midbass?

well im not sure exactly. lol. I'm still new to car audio. My door speakers are 5.25's but I was told I can set the cross over point a little higher and have the sub cover mid bass that the 5.25's cant handle. Basically stuff thats in rock etc, as apposed to rap or what ever that has more lower notes. So im guess like certain guitar/bass/drum notes. Possible anything over like 40hz. (i think)

I just dont want a sub that will be awesome on low tones and once I play rock music (which is most of my library) I dont want a lack of bass or sound in that department.

edit: you also appear to be a tool fan, same. So basically some of the tones in their stuff, like in schism where it's basically mostly bass dominant.

Edited by Moofs

anyone? I'm between this or an SDC2.5 but I hear this forum isnt too found of that sub.

Choices are basically the 187, Dcon, SDC2.5

I listen to mostly rock and rap hiphop. I'd say my ipod is 70% rock and 30% rap. I hear the sdc is awesome at playing mid bass, so its good for rock but if I can save money with one of the 2 others and get the same sound. I'd do that.

Just put the 187 in a sealed box.I think your going for more of a sq set up

The IA 187 will cover 30-80hz nicely in a sealed box. It depends on where your low pass filter is set at.

Not sure why you want a sub woofer to handle mid bass, but you could cross the sub over at a higher frequency.

egh not rly. More of a budget setup. I was actually leaning towards a ported box since I know someone who will build me one.

This is all going into my old toyota paseo. I'm getting cheap front components and just want good bass that can cover all the music I listen too. I just dont want to have some songs sound good and others terrible.

I'd like the setup to get loud and bump but 90% of the time I'll be listening at normal levels just driving around.

Not sure why you want a sub woofer to handle mid bass, but you could cross the sub over at a higher frequency.

Thats the plan, just to cross it at a higher frequency. My rear speakers are stock and my fronts are 5.25 components. This is only my 2nd system build ever and I just want something that will sound good with both rock and rap.

Which is how I narrowed it down to the SDC, dcon and IA. All seem to have good reviews.

Edited by Moofs

actually guys, I think im gonna go with the Dcon. After reading other forum posts, etc. I'm hoping it fills my needs well. While it is the same price as the SDC I like how it only needs 300rms and apparently has good SQ. I'm hoping it can take the higher frequencies like the AQ can.

Does anyone think the 187 is better than the Dcon?

I know the site says to put it in a 32hz ported box, but how will it do tuned to like 36hz?

or would that be a bad move?

Thanks!

It will sound great at 36hz. What vehicle is it going in?

Edited by Hotdog69

It will sound great at 36hz. What vehicle is it going in?

1994 toyota paseo. So a pretty small car. Thats kinda why I like the 300rms of this sub, wont be to much for the stock electrical system.

I'll be running amped 5.25 components up front and rear will be left stock. Other than that, just gonna have the sub.

Edited by Moofs

Anyone that has the sub, what would be the best box size and tune for the port so that I still keep as much high bass as I can. I hear in the ported box on the site that is like 2.25cubes tuned to 31hz, it plays the lows well but loses some mid bass. What would be the best tune to keep or possible gain midbass and still have the lows play well enough.

Like 34hz?

also, im new to car audio. I see you recommend a ported box tuned to 31hz but one is 2.25 cubs and the other is 2 cubes to save space. What would be lost or sacrificed by building the smaller box?

What type of vehicle?

Tune around 35-38hz and crossover around 80hz.

In vehicle response and transfer function can boost the low end frequency even if you tune higher.

Depending on what you mean by midbass a subwoofer might not be the best way to achieve your goals. You say you have some component speakers up front currently? Have you sealed and deadened the doors? A proper install can bring out a lot of midbass from your speakers.

The car is a 1994 toyota paseo. So its a pretty small 2 door car. Its not a hatch though, its got a sealed trunk.

The components are only 5.25's but no I havent deadened the doors. I know the sub wont cover all my needs but I want it to be able to handle some. Basically so it can keep up with rock music. I listen to rap to but I dont want the sub to only sound good when listening to that.

so I'm between the SDC2.5 and 187 now. I want to use a ported box. For the music I listen to, what would it be best to tune the box to and how high could I setup my LPF? Someone said 80hz, but can I go higher than that or will it start to sound bad?

I've heard of ppl setting AQ to like 125. But it apparently plays higher.

Why not the dcon?

Actually it is a pretty logical compromise. Using a sub to play the lower midbass is a lot more cost efficient than building a monster front stage. The disadvantage though is that you will give up staging as it will pull sound backgrounds, but you reference rears so that is already a problem. Don't think you are into an SQ setup by your posts, but no matter the alignment I'd encourage you to not focus on anything too peaky.

Actually it is a pretty logical compromise. Using a sub to play the lower midbass is a lot more cost efficient than building a monster front stage. The disadvantage though is that you will give up staging as it will pull sound backgrounds, but you reference rears so that is already a problem. Don't think you are into an SQ setup by your posts, but no matter the alignment I'd encourage you to not focus on anything too peaky.

So for my needs would you suggest the SDC or 187?

Reason I dont want the Dcon is I heard the "lower mid bass" isnt that great on it.

My setup is 5.25 components and a sub. The rears will stay stock and probably be turned down. So with those speakers, im expecting the midbass to be pretty weak, if any at all. Hence the higher filter setting. I just want something that sounds good, or better than the avg. stock system. I'm not looking for an insane SQ system or an SPL system. I just want to upgrade my car's system and have something that will work well with both rock and rap. Keep in mind I'm limited on cost, my budget for the whole system is 600 and I only have 300 to spend on a sub/amp.

Incriminator Audio 187

I had an Audioque SDC2.5 15 and was not impressed with it at all.

Incriminator Audio 187

Have you heard the 187? Do you think it can cover a little of the midbass like I want?

and also, does anyone have any idea of port/box size etc?

why not just get some mid bass drivers lol like a pair of THESE or something similar

Incriminator Audio 187

Have you heard the 187? Do you think it can cover a little of the midbass like I want?

and also, does anyone have any idea of port/box size etc?

I have had the LI and DR series from IA and they are very transient. I am a metal head so they fit my sq perfectly.

Follow the IA box specs for the best results.

why not just get some mid bass drivers lol like a pair of THESE or something similar

I dont rly have the budget for them.