Micksh

Thought you guys might find these interesting for a 3" driver!

So, I was browsing around on Parts Express, and found these.... http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=296-220 ...I am sure from the $170 (each) price tag they are some amazing little drivers, but still the specs amazed me...12 mm Xmax and supposedly flat response from 40-20000 Hz...in a 3" driver...CRAZY!

Edited by Micksh

Oh, they're very interesting. Would love to play with a bunch of them, though with that price tag it won't happen very soon, lol.

That was my thought...with unlimited funds, it would be a fun project!

I am sure that they suffer in the midrange+, too many other trade-offs. In that realm, I am sure I'd prefer the TB W1337, but it won't have the bottom end and none of the doppler distortion that comes with it. I'd rather make that up in the enclosure and have a more true mid for a full ranger.

I am more likely to try a 3-way setup with a 6 1/2" or 8" midbass plus a midrange and tweeter myself than a full-range driver. Just thought the specs were pretty crazy for a driver that small.

I can see this more in an array.

Yeah I don't think I made my thoughts clear...I don't mean this driver in a 3-way setup, but a 3-way setup in general rather than trying to get full-range reproduction from a 3" driver...

I am more likely to try a 3-way setup with a 6 1/2" or 8" midbass plus a midrange and tweeter myself than a full-range driver. Just thought the specs were pretty crazy for a driver that small.

That'd be a complete waste. I guarantee it isn't an ideal midrange, not its purpose at all. Specs may be crazy, but counterproductive.

I can see this more in an array.

Spendy array, in particular when then you don't need the excursion once you have a bunch of drivers; however, if you mean in an array where you are severely space limited and need a way of filling in the bottom matched with a robust tweet then that is the only real application I could think of as well, space limited lows. If you don't need to make that compromise I wouldn't do it. Hell at that pice I wouldn't do it period.

.....but I did find it interesting

I actually owned a pair of them for a little bit. Got them pretty cheap on ebay from Vance Dickason (he sells a lot of the equipment he tests on ebay once he's done with them). Sold them before I used them to fund other audio purchases.

I did some research on them before I bought them and IIRC I read a review somewhere and the Xmax measured out at 6mm or 8mm.....still good stroke for a driver that size but short of advertised Xmax.

I have actualy heard these in a line array. They sound prety great, but I definitely think you could get s better sounding speaker for allot cheaper

And If you guys haven't already seen the dayton audio nd 90, they are pretty fun to play with.