snowy8171

rodents eating car wires help?????

Hey guys, well last time i made the thread about how i was having car problems and the mechanic said it might be transmission problems. i went and got a second opinion and what was happening was rodents had gotten underneath my car, and i guess thew started to chew through some of the wires.

i need help on how to stop this from happening. I dont live anywhere out of the ordinary so it weird that it just happened to my car.

anybody know of anything to keep i guess squirrels or rats, mice away from car so they wont chew through wires. thanks guys

Rodents like to live under the engine cover, where exactly were wires chewed through?

mothballs.

see i knew it was not a tranny problem

Get some rat traps from walmart and place them under your car or around it. That's my only thought.. Good luck.

We use mothballs with great success. But since I'm guessing your vehicle is a daily driver that probably won't work :/

Thought I'd share anyways.

i have pick up many cars where squirls and or rats have chewed wires... its a shitty problem. sorry man.

ya it sucks and im glad i got that second opinion. saved me $2500. but do you think if i got like pest control to spray around the car or something like that it would keep them away. i just dont know what to do

Rodents like to live under the engine cover, where exactly were wires chewed through?

i think they said it was by or under the battery. i gotta check the paperwork again to see exactly where they were chewing

Edited by Ethan

Bars of soap has worked for me. Irish spring. That is if you park in a garage. It'll keep them out.

Bars of soap has worked for me. Irish spring. That is if you park in a garage. It'll keep them out.

i park either in my driveway or right out front on the street. dont have a garage

My brother had this exact same problem.. squirls chewed through his wiring in his durango. He spend like 1200.00 to have all the wires replaced and the squirls chewed through it again.

Now my brother has a pretty good temper so he went out and bought a pellet gun and went home and shot 9 squirls that he had coming around his area. He has not had a problem since.

My brother had this exact same problem.. squirls chewed through his wiring in his durango. He spend like 1200.00 to have all the wires replaced and the squirls chewed through it again.

Now my brother has a pretty good temper so he went out and bought a pellet gun and went home and shot 9 squirls that he had coming around his area. He has not had a problem since.

x2, I was gonna say find your rodent problem and get rid of it first.

I had this exact same problem several years ago (our neighbor's property isn't exactly clean). I took some rodent poison blocks (D-Con, I think) and put them in the engine compartment where I could find a flat surface. Didn't have a problem after that.

Honestly the only thing that's worked for me:

clear away any dead brush near parking area.

Spray water under car and under hood every morning and night.

Drive the car everyday (getting the engine area hot).

And having bright lights near the vehicle. Perhaps some solar walk way lights around the driveway.

Having the hood open helps (but makes your vehicle look like a piece of shit, I personally can't do it living in an HOA without getting my ass chewed out)

Good luck

Living out in the country most of my adult life, I have seen and experienced this problem firsthand several times. There are a few things you can do, mothballs work well as a deterrent usually, soap works pretty good as they love to eat it, poison and a bb rifle will help immensely. Try to move the car around as much as you can if the car runs and drives as they will not try to nest somewhere that is not secure, leaving the hood open helps too since they can't hide in the dark as well anymore. Cats help, as much as I dislike them.

Are you dealing with squirrels or mice/rats?

thanks everybody for the help. i went with moth balls for now and seem to do the job pretty good. they do smell pretty bad so i see why they would work.

did you get any traps? taking out one or two could make all the difference