Sign in to follow this  
NucFusion

new DCON 10 and box in car response question

So, I installed my new dcon 10 in a box that was built by a local audio shop 1.25 cu ft with a slot port that is supposedly tuned to 32.5 hz. I have this enclosure rear firing in my 2010 fusion with 300 watts crossed over at 80 hz. The main thing I have noticed is that the bass is very loud around 40-45 hz with not much in the 60-80 hz range. I'm wondering if this is just due to in car cabin gain and something I am going to have to eq out or if its possible that the box is tuned wrong? Would going with a lower tune, like 29 or 30 hz help with smoothing the upper frequencies? Just trying to get the best bass I can out of the system.

A lower tune, in most cases can flatten the response and push down any peaks you might be having (but only to a point). If the box is really tuned to 32hz, that is great for a daily driver. As for cabin gains and natural peaks in your specific vehicle, that is hard to know with out listening to your install.

iIs there a way to verify the tune using test tones? I only ask because I can't really measure the port the way it was constructed. I was under the impression that it would just span the length of the box, but it actually just snakes around on 1 side. It wasn't what I had initially wanted, but the installer said it would work great. Seems like there are too many corners/bends in the slot port.

The longer the port, the lower the tuning. I have seen a lot of vehicles have this problem. The box is tuned to 32hz but because of the cabin gains the vehicle peaks in the 40s.

Get a tape measure and get the specs off your box.

l x w x d

also get port opening l x w as well as the length of the port.

Every setup I've had has been tuned in the 33-35hz range has been loudest in the 30-4xhz range and starts dropping off near 50hz and above. Sounds pretty normal to me.

Thanks for the replies. I did some major tuning this weekend, playing with crossovers, ta, some bass boost at 60 hz phasing and overall I got the system sounding pretty good, but there is still a big peak of about 7 db higher between 38 and 45 hz range and the 65-80 hz range seems pretty non existant. I'm wondering if I am just needing some better components up front that will play down to that range.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced parametric eq to smooth out the frequencies around 40 hz? I was looking at the audiocontrol stuff and its a little more than I want to spend to tame a single peak. Just want something that has good sound quality.

Thanks