eggyhustles

Will the xcons work in IB?

As some of you already know, i've decided to add a 3rd xcon to the 2 i already have for a setup in my civic. I've pretty much got everything i need. Just need some more wiring and misc interconnects. Amp, too. Anyway, while talking to my box builder and the guy that helps me out with installs, he told me instead of running sealed with the xcons, i should run them in an IB config.

His reasoning being

1. Sealed requires more power to hit the same SPL while IB requires much less. less power to use = happy electrical.

2. I'll retain about 80% of my trunk space

I've never had an IB setup, but i've heard a couple and they've sounded amazing. They were all 100% sq setups, though.

Will 3 12" xcons work IB? According to the manual, There is 11.9 cubic feet of cargo space. I have just enough space to squeeze 3 in there. How much will i need to seal the trunk off?

The goal is a clean, low distortion setup that doesn't lose its composure at higher volumes.

If this guy is telling you to do your 3 xcons IB in your trunk I highly recommend another installer. You won't end up with an IB set up. You will have what amounts to a leaky 11.9 sealed enclosure

Do you mind explaining?

I "kinda" understand the purpose and science behind it, but i'm still sort of lost.

Edited by eggyhustles

IB won't gain you much SPL wise, IB is definitely not designed for chasing numbers.

IB for an Xcon though is OK??

IB won't gain you much SPL wise, IB is definitely not designed for chasing numbers.

Last thing im worried about is numbers.

Do want something loud, though.

I see no problem running an xcon IB however running 3 in your trunk is getting close to the volume 3 subs would use in a normal enclosure. So you end up with back pressure just like a sealed enclosure. In other words your trunk will be pressurized just like a box would be

Yep, and the idea behind infinite baffle is there is no air spring on the driver, the only thing controlling the driver is the suspension and the idiot behind the volume knob. You could install them in this configuration and spend the labor making 100% sure the front wave is entirely sealed from the rear, but that would be (in this instance) nothing more than a sealed enclosure.

Self defeating. Why are you adding a third?

*and yes I can guess

And for that reason you will be taking a step back from your goals by going 3 IB versus 2 sealed. If you want a third, then box it as well.

His reasoning being

1. Sealed requires more power to hit the same SPL while IB requires much less. less power to use = happy electrical.

2. I'll retain about 80% of my trunk space

1. He's an idiot

2. Possible, but not trivial

Self defeating. Why are you adding a third?

*and yes I can guess

And for that reason you will be taking a step back from your goals by going 3 IB versus 2 sealed. If you want a third, then box it as well.

Wanted something louder.

Original plan was 3 sealed firing forward into the cabin.

So ubber fail on the IB idea?

Yes why not port the two you have?

Eficiency = win

Try some Indian food. :fing34:

lol...love it :peepwall:

The Spice House on York road. :)

LOL

what do you suggest?

I don't know, I've never had any.