Sign in to follow this  
SuperDaveTX

2 SA8s or 2 SA10s?

Hi there.

My son is contemplating an upgrade to his sub. He has just one 8 and was wanting 2 SA8s. Then we talked to woofersetc and they suggested 2 SA10s. He has a trailblazer so enough room.

Hi is running a Cadence ZRSC9 running 2 channel to the fronts and other two channels bridged to his current sub.

He is just looking for more bass, doesn't really want to build a box.

Input appreciated.

SuperDaveTX

Well... It all depends how much bass he actually wants i guess... Going from only one 8 to two 10's might be a little much? and if He doesnt want to build a box how is he going to get one?

If you have the space I would go for the two 10's!

How do you plan on not having a box though..

Oh.. Sorry.. We were thinking of just getting one of the dual 10 enclosures from Woofers. One has 3/4 MDF the other has 11/16s. We can always build a box later.

I think he likes the idea of having 2 subs. Would the Cadence amp be enough for two 10s? or would it be best with 2 8s, or one 12?

Thanks.

Either this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3524-sqp210-ground-shaker-10-dual-ported-box.aspx

or this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3523-sq210-ground-shaker-10-dual-sealed-box.aspx

Edited by SuperDaveTX

Oh.. Sorry.. We were thinking of just getting one of the dual 10 enclosures from Woofers. One has 3/4 MDF the other has 11/16s. We can always build a box later.

I think he likes the idea of having 2 subs. Would the Cadence amp be enough for two 10s? or would it be best with 2 8s, or one 12?

Thanks.

Either this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3524-sqp210-ground-shaker-10-dual-ported-box.aspx

or this: http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3523-sq210-ground-shaker-10-dual-sealed-box.aspx

If you're gonna go prefab go sealed. A prefab ported box is always too small, or doesn't have enough port area, or isn't tuned to what you wanted (Tl:dr The ported 1 sux get sealed)

You can't underpower a sub, so if that's what you're worried about, don't be.

Maybe try throwing some more power at the SA 8 before making big steps considering your gonna need a bigger amp for either 2-8''s or 2-10"s. But if your gonna upgrade to more bass, I would look at 2-10"s or one 12" but thats just a personal preference since he has all that room in the cargo area.

if you currently have a dual 2 ohm sa-8 wired to 4ohm you cant just add a 2nd sa-8 to that amp (well you could but it would require you to either run it at 8ohm bridge, take over the front two channels and add a new amp for the front speakers, or buy a new sub amp).

how about you give us your budget? (2) sa-10 would cost about 400 bucks right? with that you could pick up a decent 15" sub (sundown, fi, ssa, etc), upgrade the power wire if need be, and get a subwoofer amp.

Oh.. He does NOT currently have an SA8. He has a single eDesign Audio 8... low end. It can't handle the power put on it now so it is going bye bye.

Edited by SuperDaveTX

Budget. well, probably around $500 and hoping to use the amp he has.

BUY THE 2 SKAR AUDIO 12'S IN CUSTOM PORTED BOX FROM SKAR AUDIO FOR 350 AND THAN BUY A AP1500D FROM EBAY FOR 150 THERE YOU GO IT WILL BE LOUD 140 + HAVE FUN

Bah, you don't want the POS box that comes with them, you're better off with the prefab boxes. I have one that was built by Kevin and the baffle flops like a fish out of water with 175 watt rms subs.

Well the 10's would have more cone area, but the 15 would probably hit lower. Although I've never heard sundown subs in person.

i just installed my 2 sa-10's and wow i am so surprised with there output and how clean they sound. if your worryed about not being able to hit lows with the 10's you shouldnt be because these subs get very low and just sound so smooth.

I would suggest the 10s over the 8s for sure. My friend has 4 re 10s that don't get lows nearly as low as my q 12, but being sundown I'm sure the 10s would be a great choice. Probably have great SQ as well

Well the 10's would have more cone area, but the 15 would probably hit lower. Although I've never heard sundown subs in person.

How so?

average cone area for a ten is 310cm^2 * 2 = 620cm^2, average cone area for a fifteen is 810cm^2.

How so?

average cone area for a ten is 310cm^2 * 2 = 620cm^2, average cone area for a fifteen is 810cm^2.

He doesnt know, just guessing off the top of his head and giving false info.

Because 2 10s equal 20. duh! And thats bigger than 15

I'd do a single 12" or 15" sub if you're wanting to run with the same power.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Thanks for the input. I will talk to him about the options and pros and cons today. I was thinking that going with current power would limit options to one driver, or maybe two smaller 8s. He may just want to get another Cadence amp and go with two 10s.

Again thanks!

Imho, a single 15 in a larger sized/more efficient ported enclosure tuned into the low 30's with that power will be more than sufficient.