zshortcut

newb to car audio, i need amp help. BADLY lol

hey guys, my names zack

i drive an acura 3.0 cl

i have a ported close to 4 cube box with 2 SSA ICONS 12's

my amp im running now is a 1100 watt Crunch amp, but the problem is i guess there isnt enough power for them cause when i crank it the amp shuts off

so now to the problem.

i am a COMPLETE newby the the audio world and dont kno really what im shopping for,

i know you can wire amps together, am i better off getting another amp and connecting the two?

is it better to get one bigger amp?

any help will be greatly apprieciated, critisms is alright too, i can handle it.

thanks in advance guys, i'll post pictures of the new box soon

the subs are dual 2 or 1?

what model amp?

how do you have them wired

it sounds so far like you may them under the amps ohm rating.

but we can get more into it.. those are the questions i have at this point. more to come.

Experiencing major voltage drop?

the subs are dual 2 or 1?

what model amp?

how do you have them wired

it sounds so far like you may them under the amps ohm rating.

but we can get more into it.. those are the questions i have at this point. more to come.

alright lets see if i can answer all of these,

1. these are the subs..... http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/icon.html

2. i just had a ported box made yesterday and he said they were wired for .5 ohms, but im not exactly sure how he rewired them.

Truthfullly i wanna say it was the same dam way lmao.

im sorry im a total newb, what do you mean by major voltage drop?

the problem im having is, when i crank it up to where its a nice hum the amp lasts about 10-20 minutes and it overheats/ goes into "protection"

the guy at the audio shop said i need a bigger amp

well there you have it.. i dont know of any crunch amp that will handle a .5 ohm load. they must be dual 2's and who ever loaded them wired them too low.. on a dual 2 set up your stuck at 2 or .5 ohm.. and that sucks.. who ordered the subs for you ?

well there you have it.. i dont know of any crunch amp that will handle a .5 ohm load. they must be dual 2's and who ever loaded them wired them too low.. on a dual 2 set up your stuck at 2 or .5 ohm.. and that sucks.. who ordered the subs for you ?

no one ordered them? i got them from a buddy getting rid of his system.

the crap part is, i dont kno enough about car audio yet to even kno what to do to fix it,

i have a 1100 watt amp and 2 12's thats about all i kno lmao

if i need to swap some wiring i will, if i need a bigger amp i'll get one.

i just need someone to tell me whats going on

well i asked you for the model number on the amp too.. that will help alot..

ask your friend what the impendance of the subs were.. and what amp he had.. im going to gess a rockford. somthing full power at 2 ohm im guessing at this point

well i asked you for the model number on the amp too.. that will help alot..

ask your friend what the impendance of the subs were.. and what amp he had.. im going to gess a rockford. somthing full power at 2 ohm im guessing at this point

i'll go look for the model number right now,

i have the amp he was using, i have everything he did except a different head unit.

If your subs are ICON 12D2 then you will need to wire your subs like this because it sounds like your amp is not 0.5 ohm stable:

2_2ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

If your subs are ICON 12D2 then you will need to wire your subs like this because it sounds like your amp is not 0.5 ohm stable:

2_2ohm_dvc_2ohm.gif

Amp model number is P1100.2

its definetly not .5ohm stable lol

after looking at that diagram i kinda think thats how he did it.....

idk im gunna have to go look for myself. i shoulda payed more attension but he was talking so over my head i just blacked out lol

well that amp is rated at 4 ohm mono for 1100 watts..... soo....

first thing is first. make sure they are indeed dual 2's

then you need a new amp. somthing that put full power out at 2 ohms.

IF they are indeed dual 2's

but you need a new amp anyway that one is a piece of shit. . its RMS 550 watts.. not anywhere near 1000 anyway.

so i would replace it anyway no matter what.

All of the techy talk can get jumbled together ;) Hopefully it is just a subwoofer wiring issue. If it isnt I would start investigating the electrical wiring for the amp.

No need to buy a new amp if you can make what you have work.

well that amp is rated at 4 ohm mono for 1100 watts..... soo....

first thing is first. make sure they are indeed dual 2's

then you need a new amp. somthing that put full power out at 2 ohms.

IF they are indeed dual 2's

but you need a new amp anyway that one is a piece of shit. . its RMS 550 watts.. not anywhere near 1000 anyway.

so i would replace it anyway no matter what.

how do i know if there dual 2's? and what kinda amp do you suggest then, size and brand please

Rockford, Kicker, Alpine, Stetsom,...all makes big power at 2 Ohms. It will be easy to find a good amp for your subs. All you need is the money !

Better be sure your subs are Dual 2, before buying anything.

0.5 is not good for most amps, try 2 Ohms.

you would need a digital multi meter.. or like i said ask your friend.

a power 2 ohm amp is kinda tricky. i know that rockford made a line of them for a while, and a few other companies did too.. the JL slash series is always an option... its a damn shame that they are not dual 1's.. (ormaybe they are) because an amp would be alot easier...

but either way you have a NICE pair of subs on your hands for sure.. now you just need to power them well...

and if you like them now.. ha ha JUST WAIT untill you have them powered correctly.. you will be WOWED.

FWI beat me too. it.. good call.

you would need a digital multi meter.. or like i said ask your friend.

a power 2 ohm amp is kinda tricky. i know that rockford made a line of them for a while, and a few other companies did too.. the JL slash series is always an option... its a damn shame that they are not dual 1's.. (ormaybe they are) because an amp would be alot easier...

but either way you have a NICE pair of subs on your hands for sure.. now you just need to power them well...

and if you like them now.. ha ha JUST WAIT untill you have them powered correctly.. you will be WOWED.

FWI beat me too. it.. good call.

alright i just text my buddy and asked him so we'll see

what i dont get is, the kid who's subs these were when they were in his truck they sounded amazing, i opened the door it was so loud and now that its in my car the amp shuts off and like wtf?? whats the deal

okay so lets see if i got this straight

i need to find a 2ohm amp, what kinda watt??

2 channel? i have two 12's so if im right then channels dont matter, right?

well thats the most commen problem your looking at so far.. its hard because you dont know anything.. how its wired the subs impedance..

you could have another issue..

bad ground, thin power wire, not enough current.. you could have the bass boost up to much on the deck or the amp...

there are alot of issues it could be.

you need to wait and see what your friend tells you ..

you should also check to make sure you dont have a dead coil.

you will need a DMM for that.

well thats the most commen problem your looking at so far.. its hard because you dont know anything.. how its wired the subs impedance..

you could have another issue..

bad ground, thin power wire, not enough current.. you could have the bass boost up to much on the deck or the amp...

there are alot of issues it could be.

sounds like i have lots of issues lol

well i kno i have a good ground from the amp

bass boost on the head unit is +6..... lol

L+4 M+2 H+2

that kinda pissed me off tho, the guy that built the box i asked if he was gunna tune it and he's like oh ya we do that and i watched him pick it up, look at it and mount it to the box

+6 is NO GOOD AT ALL you will murder those subs... lets back that down alot. lol it may not cut off any more at all.

if i back it down the subs go down?

then i'll really have no base, i guess thats where the bigger comes in?

it sounds like i either need to take it to an audio shop and let them go at it or i'd really like to meet an audio guy like yourself that lives around here that could teach me

tons of audio guys in florida on this page.... where in fla are you ?