CBFryman

Considering an RL-S

Ok, Got the 4 RE8's in my friends truck, he likes them, a lil port noise, but he likes them. but he wants something that drops lower. :blink:

i plainly asked him when i was deigning this one if he wanted it to drop low... he said he doesnt care about low notes...he just wants loud. hence the 36Hz tuning. now he wants low and louder...and hes had it a whole 4 days with the gians set correctly.

He is thinking about a JL w7 13 sine he wants something that will sound good, get loud, and drop low off of the 500/1 he has. i immediatly though of a list of driver fitting the bill without going cookie cutter w713.

in come RL-s 12.

My question is, what kind of enclosre for car and what kind of #'s can i expect in an extended cab GMC 1500. we are going to get him metered sometime soon so that will give you a reference point.

Ok, Got the 4 RE8's in my friends truck, he likes them, a lil port noise, but he likes them. but he wants something that drops lower.  :blink:

i plainly asked him when i was deigning this one if he wanted it to drop low... he said he doesnt care about low notes...he just wants loud. hence the 36Hz tuning. now he wants low and louder...and hes had it a whole 4 days with the gians set correctly.

He is thinking about a JL w7 13 sine he wants something that will sound good, get loud, and drop low off of the 500/1 he has. i immediatly though of a list of driver fitting the bill without going cookie cutter w713.

in come RL-s 12.

My question is, what kind of enclosre for car and what kind of #'s can i expect in an extended cab GMC 1500. we are going to get him metered sometime soon so that will give you a reference point.

Subs not gonna do much off of a 500/1...that's all there is to it.

NG

it's reallt THAT inefficent? 500w is nothing to sneaze at (though i know you all ready know this)

What about two 500/1's strapped? 900w is in the recocomended RMS

it's reallt THAT inefficent? 500w is nothing to sneaze at (though i know you all ready know this)

from what ive read, you could put 1500 wrms on it and it would laugh at you and beg for more :hay: and its 4 ohm :lol:

do a 4th order bandpass tuned to 31hz

i have the design if u serious about getting the rl-s12..then i will give it 2 u free of charge....just let me know...with 900watts if should help get the most out of it being that it is a inefficient sub...but if ui want a more efficient box i have another design for u for that sub

the rl-s 12 has amzing output..it just need the rite box along with the rite power

Yes. Any you can't strap JL amps foo...

I had Two MTX 1501d's strapped on it...and 2ohms each...and that was where it needed to be.

NG

Yeah, I finally got my rl-s and even with my A3000db its barely enough to get it moving even though I know it doesn't do its 1100 rms at 4 ohms like its rated at but I would think 800-900 would be reasonable... nope. My electrical system is suffering too, I need to upgrade alot more then I thought so this sub will get the power it deserves. I can imagine the taunting thats going on in my trunk :idiot: kuz my amp is much more of a puss then I thought. that being said a 500/1 wouldn't even tickle this sub, some serious wattege is need. strapped A3000db's? Oh yeah, till I can afford to strap some Orion2500D's or something along thoughs lines. :slayer:

I wouldn't run an RL-S in car.... it's just not the right woofer for the job... Not saying I don't like the RL-S or that I wouldn't run one... but it if I did it would definately be in a HT setup... which is what it was ment for...

Yeah, I finally got my rl-s and even with my A3000db its barely enough to get it moving even though I know it doesn't do its 1100 rms at 4 ohms like its rated at but I would think 800-900 would be reasonable... nope. My electrical system is suffering too, I need to upgrade alot more then I thought so this sub will get the power it deserves. I can imagine the taunting thats going on in my trunk :idiot: kuz my amp is much more of a puss then I thought. that being said a 500/1 wouldn't even tickle this sub, some serious wattege is need. strapped A3000db's? Oh yeah, till I can afford to strap some Orion2500D's or something along thoughs lines. :slayer:

don't think you can strap 2500's can you?

don't think you can strap 2500's can you?

Nope, I doubt you can unless you mod em.

I just heard someone mention that they wanted to strap a couple of orions on a forum, if you can or not I'm not sure of but then I'll just have to strap some mtx's or memphis amps then. Maybe I could go for the jbl BPX2200.1 so I could get the power at 4 ohms I was saying a little more quality amp for a quality driver. I was just using those as an example of the power needed.

Yes. Any you can't strap JL amps foo...

I had Two MTX 1501d's strapped on it...and 2ohms each...and that was where it needed to be.

NG

Hmm, oh and you can link JL's togather :), not actually strapping but yeah.

I didnt realize it was this inefficent. Which is kinda funny that it is a HT driver because the ammount of money you would have to spend on an amp for it to reach its full potential wattage wise would be massive. 2kW HT amps arent cheap.

oh well, thought i would get to play with the beast. Any other suggestions. once agian w713 performance, 500ish dollars or so and power is either one or two JL 500's. This kid likes nothing but JL amps and he has the money for them so more power to him.

Edited by CBFryman

Oh, and this proves to me that there are better ways to acheive what LMT acheives w/o 80db 1w/1m.

Oh, and this proves to me that there are better ways to acheive what LMT acheives w/o 80db 1w/1m.

IDK... with what little time I spent with the RL-s 12, I've got to say that I'm really impressed with it's potential... had absolutely no lag between notes... it was fantastic, but for the difficulty powering it and enormous box sizes, I'd only use one HT...

ooooo maybe I'll do one IB.... that would be sweet chit.... guess I'll have to take a look at the specs again.

i know you can strap orion 1200's thats one of the reasons i chose mine, good upgrade potential

900w isn't nearly enough for it. I had 800w on the demo Rl-s and, while it had "adequate" output if you were solely into sound quality and output was of absolutely no concern...yeah, 800w might work. But it wasn't nearly reaching it's potential. Off of that same power, my 12" Rl-p had noticeably more output.

1500w - 2kw is really more of a lower-limit in necessary power.

I didnt realize it was this inefficent. Which is kinda funny that it is a HT driver because the ammount of money you would have to spend on an amp for it to reach its full potential wattage wise would be massive. 2kW HT amps arent cheap.

You'd be surprised ;)

Behringer EP2500 will do 2400w @ 4ohm bridged and goes for $300 on partsexpress.

QSC RMX2450 goes for around $600 new, but can be found used for $300-$400 and will also do 2400w @ 4ohm, and is a little higher quality and better designed than the Behringer unit.