I'm been thinking about getting some new subs. I currently have a single 10". I'm looking for sound quality but wouldn't mind something louder. I have enough room for some 12's in the trunk. I love the sound of sealed boxes. I drive an old card though so I know I wouldn't be able to push more than 1 icon without multiple batteries/alternator upgrade. Having heard neither the icon or dcon in person i'm wondering how they compare in both spl and sq. I hear the icon is a great sub but if the quality isnt that much better than a pair of dcons, i dont know if i can justify twice the wattage. Either scenario will be upgrade from my current. Just looking for some opinions from people who have had experience with these subs.

The Icon's don't need gobs of power. What amp did you plan on using?

I think 2 12" Dcons would be a great upgrade. From what I've seen they can do some damage :D

^X2 I agree that 2 12 Dcons in a 3.5ft^3 ported box tuned around 32hz powered by 500-600 watts would sound amazing as far as Sq and get plenty plenty loud for a daily driver set up.

If you have the appropriate space for the enclosure, I would go with cone area over power, as Watts suggested, 2 12" dcons would be a very nice SQ system that still packs a punch.

I used to run a single ported 10" Dcon and it was by far one of, if not the best, sub I've ever owned. Great sound quality and amazing output from a single 300 watt sub. You really can't go wrong with any SSA sub.

If im looking for sound quality should I stick with a sealed box? Also, will the dcons be updated anytime soon? I feel like the dustcap on the dcons look out dated. I think the icons look nice.

If im looking for sound quality should I stick with a sealed box? Also, will the dcons be updated anytime soon? I feel like the dustcap on the dcons look out dated. I think the icons look nice.

In terms of clarity or accuracy, in a properly built to spec sealed or ported enclosure, there should yield zero audible difference. As for the dust cap, that is the one that is meant for the Dcon design, due to its mass (same look but different dust cap for the Zcon). The Icon has a much stiffer suspension and is getting an even stronger motor then before, so it can easily handle the extra moving mass of that cone. SSA drivers go through quite a long testing phase, and do not get updated often, as in we hope to get it right the first time. There are numerous reasons for this. Think of it in terms of the automotive world, some of the very best are fully updated rarely with long life spans that have a very lengthy testing period before hand. The Icon has had minor tweaks since 2007, but only NOW is it getting a full update.

Not comparing us to them, but think of how often Focal, Image Dynamics, JL, Diamond etc. etc. as I think people get the idea.

I used to run a single ported 10" Dcon and it was by far one of, if not the best, sub I've ever owned. Great sound quality and amazing output from a single 300 watt sub. You really can't go wrong with any SSA sub.

I couldn't agree more! For the money you just cannot beat the quality of sound and output it has.

:drink40:

I want to go with one of the new icons but I doubt my corolla could handle that much power. I think the stock alternator is 70 amps. I don't want to spend the money on a new alternator for a 14 year old car.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much louder a 12" icon would be compared to a 12" dcon both at rms?

I want to go with one of the new icons but I doubt my corolla could handle that much power. I think the stock alternator is 70 amps. I don't want to spend the money on a new alternator for a 14 year old car.

Can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much louder a 12" icon would be compared to a 12" dcon both at rms?

If you get the icon you can run it with the power you would have used for a dcon, then when the funds are available you will be able to upgrade your electrical to accomodate more power. Icon will give you a chance to upgrade.

There is a big price difference. I like the DCON because you don't have to upgrade everything and buy a big amp!

You don't have to do that for the Icon either, it just ups the power handling in case you ever decide to. An Icon will perform great with less than rms power. There's not really any need to upgrade anything. If cost is an issue though, the Dcon should suit you just fine.

Well said ohjay.

so if im going with a saz 1000 watt amp would a dcon nadle it or do i need to go with icon model looking for a single d2 10 or 12

A Dcon is not meant to handle a 1000 watt amplifier. If you were to run that amplifier at a higher load, that would be a different story.

A Dcon is not meant to handle a 1000 watt amplifier. If you were to run that amplifier at a higher load, that would be a different story.

wanna put ssa on the map here in washington :fing34:

You could wire that SAZ amp to 4ohms on the Dcon and it would sound spectacular and be plenty or power if you ever decide to add another Dcon or 3.

so if im going with a saz 1000 watt amp would a dcon nadle it or do i need to go with icon model looking for a single d2 10 or 12

If you're planning to run 1k watts, I'd suggest you get the Icon. I'm currently running one Icon in a ~1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure with ~500 watts and I get quite a bit of 'holy $h!ts!'. I once put it in a 1.5ft^3 ported enclosure but it was too loud for me.

If you're planning to run 1k watts, I'd suggest you get the Icon. I'm currently running one Icon in a ~1.3ft^3 sealed enclosure with ~500 watts and I get quite a bit of 'holy $h!ts!'. I once put it in a 1.5ft^3 ported enclosure but it was too loud for me.

You could wire that SAZ amp to 4ohms on the Dcon and it would sound spectacular and be plenty or power if you ever decide to add another Dcon or 3.

I like that line of thinking.

I had just a 10" Dcon and it blew away my expectations. Even in a ~.9 cu. ft. sealed box.

:)

You step up to a 3" coil on the Icon and to a 1000 watt rms rated sub woofer.

I have a DCON 10" and absolutely love it. Cannot beat it's price for the quality you get

I'm thinking that I may go with 2 dcons 10's in a ported box. Two ported 10's would take up roughly the same amount of space as 1 12 but the dcons only need 300w and I may add an amp for my speakers if I end up modding my front doors for components.