Ohjay

Going active for the first time, looking for HU suggestions.

Well, the time has finally come for me to try out an active front stage. This will be my first attempt at this and I don't know much about it. I think what I want to do is run an active capable head unit and a nice 4 channel like the IA 6.4 going to some 8" pa mids and super tweeters. I only plan to run 2 mids and 2 tweets for the front stage. I'm looking for something to keep up with at least two 18s, maybe four 18s by next year. Any suggestions on head units, mids and tweeters are welcome and appreciated. So far, I've been thinking about Ciare PT 382 super tweeters and either the Ciare 8.50NdW 8" mids or the B&C 8 NDL51 8" mids. Please, let me know what you think of this and if it sounds like a pretty good idea, maybe give me some ideas for head units. I am trying to find something nice for under $500 new, cheaper is better of course as long as it will do everything I need, I'm not opposed to used at all either so if anyone has any info on some used ones, please let me know.

What exactly are you looking for in a HU? Do you need it to have the ability to play mp3 CD's, is iPod connectivity important (aux or usb), etc. Knowing what you need will help a lot in deciding what to get.

I'm not sure, but I don't think those tweeters can be crossed low enough for those mids.

Yeah sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. I have no need for an ipod, navigation or bluetooth. I only listen to the radio and play cds. Like I said, this is my first time and I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, I'm used to easy, passive setups with all the guesswork taken out.

Yeah sorry about that, I wasn't thinking. I have no need for an ipod, navigation or bluetooth. I only listen to the radio and play cds. Like I said, this is my first time and I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, I'm used to easy, passive setups with all the guesswork taken out.

Pretty much any of the older Alpine units with BEP would work (9815,9835, 9855). If you don't want iPod connectivity or bluetooth you can save yourself some money by purchasing something like that used. Eclipse has some good units as well if you can find one used. The 8053 comes to mind as it's pretty highly regarded.

I have a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS that works great and allows for full active capabilities from the headunit alone. it has 3 rca outs. high, mid, low/sub. the new Pioneer p99PRS is like 1200 but allows for highs, mids, lows, and sub. my 880 can be found new at stores for $500 still. used for about $300. i too will be going active soon so it will be really nice to play with.

i picked up a used 9855 for 165 on ebay this summer for my bro. pretty sweet deck if you can get over the slider/glide bar thing..

None of those decks will fill the gap between those drivers though.

Personally I would suggest a different speaker combination before you even consider active headunits.

Though with a $500 budget personally I'd rather look for a used C701/H701 combo than a new all-in-one headunit.

I've pretty much decided against a new HU for now, I'm going to rethink the whole Idea.