ogjordan

Going from an Xcon 15 to 3 SA-8s

So I'm running an Xcon 15 ported in my daily driver right now. I am thinking of picking up 3 SA-8s to put in a new project car. What type of output difference is there gonna be? This is strictly for music, I just don't want to be in the daily, then hop in the show car and think "This sucks!" Both cars are big Cadilllacs. Any input?

did you like the XCON? perhaps try another. or even a zcon.

Way way to many variables to say for sure, but both properly setup, powered, same car, and so on it won't by any means "suck"

Don't really have the room for another big single woofer. The space is limited by height, probably need to go 3 10s at the most. I've installed hundreds of systems since the early 90s, I understand the "many variables"; it's a basic question really. I'm not saying "Will I gain .3 decibels if I do X", simply ballpark, are the SA-8 able to perform in the same league as an XCon. I've never heard any SA drivers, the SA-8s just fit the physical size requirement.

Ive ran sa-8s since the first presale... I would rather have the xcon. can you fit a 12 comfortably?

Well idk abot the xcon but the SA-8 have a very good response and hit the lows like crazy I had 4 in 3.4^3 tuned to 34hz did 139.6 at 29hz with 800 watts 4 days after install

Well idk abot the xcon but the SA-8 have a very good response and hit the lows like crazy I had 4 in 3.4^3 tuned to 34hz did 139.6 at 29hz with 800 watts 4 days after install

The low's won't be anywhere near as good as what the Xcon is capable of.

Yeah brobably but if he don't want the same sound from his daily to his comp car since they will both be musical this would be quite a difference in sound is what I think he's looking for.

But the only real way for you to tell would be to find somewhere to listen to a couple of them to see if they are what ur looking for

Edited by philla

That's what I'm looking for thanks guys. Its just a show car, not a comp car. Couldn't care less about car audio contest. No offense if you do, I just never really got into the competition part to me it's about the music.

why do you say this?

why do you say this?

The Xcon is a low end monster with 31mm of Xmax and lower Fs. I have owned both and heard multiple setups using both drivers and aside from specs I've heard both first hand. In no way am I saying the sa-8 can't drop down low, it just isn't on the same level as the Xcon.

Edited by ricksi30

why do you say this?

The Xcon is a low end monster with 31mm of Xmax and lower Fs. I have owned both and heard multiple setups using both drivers and aside from specs I've heard both first hand. In no way am I saying the sa-8 can't drop down low, it just isn't on the same level as the Xcon.

Specs and experience speak for the truth the xcon is a low end monster!

XCON was designed as a high power SQ sub. Its reputation is legendary at the quality and output. But the SA-8 is just as legendary as its output and response are great.

If the 3 8" drivers fit then by all means go with them as the output and sq will still be impressive. But it comes down to install quality and knowledge.

XCON was designed as a high power SQ sub. Its reputation is legendary at the quality and output. But the SA-8 is just as legendary as its output and response are great.

If the 3 8" drivers fit then by all means go with them as the output and sq will still be impressive. But it comes down to install quality and knowledge.

legendary ....?

My thoughts exactly. When I think of the word legendary and subwoofers I think of something along the lines of the first gen strokers. That fits the definition of legendary.

Well I hope the Xcon becomes legendary, as that would be awesome. It does not have much in it's class directly, so maybe that will help. ;)

As others have said, so many other factors come into play when asking this sort of question.

On that note - the Xcon is a very well built sub as are the SA-8s. I do think you might be a bit happier with the SQ from the Xcon but the SA-8s sure do get loud and low for 8s, especially 3 in a ported enclosure.

It's worth playing around with ;)

On that note - the Xcon is a very well built sub as are the SA-8s. I do think you might be a bit happier with the SQ from the Xcon but the SA-8s sure do get loud and low for 8s, especially 3 in a ported enclosure.

Seriously? Don't tell me that you are equating size of woofer to LFE. :(

Either way, again it'll be a downgrade both in output and response. There is no replacement for displacement.

Either way, again it'll be a downgrade both in output and response. There is no replacement for displacement.

But he isn't looking for high numbers on a mic he wants something to fit contours of his trunk in a show can and don't want same sound as his daily driver

But he isn't looking for high numbers on a mic he wants something to fit contours of his trunk in a show can and don't want same sound as his daily driver

If it's a downgrade in both output (spl) and response (sq) then why do it? Just to have something different?

legendary ....?

My thoughts exactly. When I think of the word legendary and subwoofers I think of something along the lines of the first gen strokers. That fits the definition of legendary.

SSA Forum legendary! :P

I never said anything about a mic...and obviously you didn't read the OP's thread and first post very well.

So I'm running an Xcon 15 ported in my daily driver right now. I am thinking of picking up 3 SA-8s to put in a new project car. What type of output difference is there gonna be? This is strictly for music, I just don't want to be in the daily, then hop in the show car and think "This sucks!" Both cars are big Cadilllacs. Any input?

OP if your looking at SQ why not look into the DCON line from SSA. A pair of 10" in an optimum ported enclosure will sound incredible and will still have impressive output.

I rep for Sundown and love the products but in your application I believe the DCON is right for you. Budget friendly, quality USA built, great CS and overall a win, win!

DCON ftw!

Edited by 98GMC