HawkEye

Couple Questions About Walls.

Hey all.I have a few questions about walls for car audio in cars.I have wanted a wall ever since i got into car audio but ive had a few concerns about them.Here are a couple of questions/concerns I have about them.

1.About how much does a wall weigh on average? ( I was told i could get a wall built in my car that would weigh about 300lbs made of birchwood.Is that possible?)

2.Is it a must to have air shock or whatever in the rear of the car (I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L and it would cost over a grand to put airshocks in.)

3.Do you guys think my car could handle the weight of a wall?

i VERY BADLY want a wall in my car and I know I will not stop fiddling with my setup/building boxes/buying subs so on so on until I have a wall.I know I will not be satisfied until I have a wall in my car.If you guys coiuld answer these question I would much appreciate it.Thanks

Are you ready to say good bye to looking out your rear window? :P

I'm not sure how much the weight would be, but lets say it was only 300lbs, then you have the weight of the drivers, amps, and batteries. I could see a few extra hundred pounds getting away on stiffer shocks and springs, but more then that? :ughdunno:

Lol yeah I can live without looking being able to look out the rear window.I have 2 15's right now and the box I have is in my backseat and I practically have to stand up to see out the back becasue the box takes up over half the window.

I did some more looking online and I found these http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Easy-Street/Air-Suspension-Kits/Rear-Air-Bag-Suspension-Kit-_-75604/558376/ They seem to be reasonably priced and it seems to be just what I am looking for.So if I can get those I will wall it no doubt.The main thing that has kept me from walling it is the weight issue.

get three of your " big" friends, pile em in there.....see if it looks good, or too low.....

birch is lighter.....

shizzzon has alot of info on the comparisons of birch to other materials....

is the wall goal strictly cosmetic?

a box with a false face serving as a double baffle and sealing the rear off, could be lighter....

pending on build goals....comp numbers or just groundpounding?

Yeah cars are made to hold an est. 250 lbs per person, so If you have 3 seats in the rear, it is basically made to hold at least 750lbs in the rear for * people * so instead of people just have a wall and subs.

get three of your " big" friends, pile em in there.....see if it looks good, or too low.....

birch is lighter.....

shizzzon has alot of info on the comparisons of birch to other materials....

is the wall goal strictly cosmetic?

a box with a false face serving as a double baffle and sealing the rear off, could be lighter....

pending on build goals....comp numbers or just groundpounding?

It wouldn't be for cometics.I want to get loud so I can enter comps.I would also like a good streetbeater or groundpounder.

13 layer baltic birch, it is expensive but about a third the wieght and triple strength and price of mdf. dependent on subs you are going with and power depends how many layers and bracing you need in it. we walled a car with 4 12s and 20k rms using 2 boxes double 1" baffle and all sides 1" thick with 1" thick wood bracing, this was all mdf and then took 3 2x4s on rear to hold to gether and a full false front baffle to seal and cover. the boxes are very heavy like this but swap out with 3/4" baltic birch you will be just as strong. also this car was weighted down with 150lbs of amps, 575 lbs of batts and 200 in subs plus 3 sheets 1" mdf.....but if your equipment weighs less you should be good. with these boxes this car peaked 158.9 outlaw and 156.7 30 sec average outlaw style. i suggest to keep weight down and make it easier to remove build your false floor and 2 boxes then baffle it. this is the method i will be using on one on my comp team members cars in april. we are actually using 2 boxes we have made already for the wall. they were in an suv and will be good for the wall, they have aero ports so easy to change tuning on them and make them for daily/comp wall

Yeah cars are made to hold an est. 250 lbs per person, so If you have 3 seats in the rear, it is basically made to hold at least 750lbs in the rear for * people * so instead of people just have a wall and subs.

I'd love to see you drive your honda down the road with 750lbs in the back, all on stock suspension...

Ever seen a car loaded down with huge people at McDonalds? The car doesn't handle that weight very well.

i had 560lbs of weight in the back of my scion tc in my last wall build.

Single layer mdf wall, triple baffle, 4 15s (29lbs per) 7 amps (110lbs) and only 2 batts.

If you can somehow install your batts under the face of the wall, rear floorboard safely and securely, that helps a LOT too.

Ok ive been doing some more searching around.I think to be safe im going to get these air shocks http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Easy-Street/Air-Suspension-Kits/Rear-Air-Bag-Suspension-Kit-_-75604/558376/ .My only question with them is will I need a air compressor or are these the type that you can just run a air line and put air in them like a tire and will they support my car with the wieght of a wall ok?

Edited by HawkEye