MikeMartel

8" SQ Subwoofer

Alright, well i told a friend that i would help him out with getting some subs in his car. He really isnt into getting loud, he just wants a little extra. So i told him like a smaller sized sub, like an 8" or 10" would be good. He doesnt want to spend too much on this setup so i was wondering if you guys could help me out with some subwoofers that might be a good choice. Probably close to around $200. Ill buy used if i need to, just need some help on what some good options would be.

What kind of power? Car or suv?

Hes just going to have a small sealed box. Its in a VW TDi. Power doesnt really matter. Ill match the amp to the subwoofer, but probably around 300-500 watts? Nothing huge.

Any ideas of an amp while we are here? Dont want to sound lazy like i dont want to do research, im just not very familiar with all the good brands yet, and i know theres a lot of false info and crap on the internet, i can trust you guys though. :peepwall:

Dcon,

Skar vvx8" came to mind... They dont sound bad...

I'd go with a 10 over 2 8's. It's cheaper. More options that way also. A DCON and a four channel amp. Then he's ready for the front stage!

What about a nice front stage instead?

This. The fronts are infinitely more important. When I see "small sq setup" I think "quiet." Almost any sub can be quiet and subtle but its the front stage that makes it a SQ system. If you want a lil quiet sub then just pick a lil quiet sub and call it a day.

yeah but once you get into front stage and all this hes gonna end up spending more money then he wants to. Ill ask him, but i think the Dcon will work.

1 DCON 10" and 1 Incriminator Audio 5.1 amplifier and your all set for a very nice sounding, low budget system. The DCON is a very versatile sub and can go in a small sealed enclosure or moderate ported enclosure.

i would say Dcon

Parts Express Reference HF 8" would be a good bang for the buck SQ driver......

Also look into Tang-band....

Disregard me as I clearly have no business morals or respect, so I have been banned.

Parts Express Reference HF 8" would be a good bang for the buck SQ driver......

Also look into Tang-band....

I'm not a tang band fan. I have a 740c 8" sub, it just can't get loud enough. (sounds fine parked, but when you turn it up when driving it pukes.)

For SQ it is hard to beat the Dayton RF series. They use 3 shorting rings to lower distortion, and are very well built. They deserve a look, maybe two!

Shipping is free, and you don't have to wait!

Just trying to make your choice harder,

Duane

(Personally) I don't understand the purpose of 8's in the car audio world (In most cases/uses) a 10 would fit in the same amount of space, a DCON 10 or an SSD/Q would be great.

(Personally) I don't understand the purpose of 8's in the car audio world (In most cases/uses) a 10 would fit in the same amount of space, a DCON 10 or an SSD/Q would be great.

I agree with the 8" drivers being pointless. I looked at the Dayton RS subs. The 8 is not the same as the rest. I'd look at the 10" HO model.

Here's a link; http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462

Duane

lol, 8s...

The box in my avatar did 143db on the term-lab with 150 watts total..... Those are 8s and that is about 5ft3 box..... Tell me who here is louder with 150 watts????