Freshh

Installing Component Set

Yeah it does!

I have a co-axial set in the front doors and a component set in back doors, backwards I know. but component anywhere is better than no where, right?

Not really, you'd be better off with just the comp set and up front.

I know you know what you're talking about so I'm not going to argue, but why would it be better? Isn't it good for you to be (surrounded I guess is the word) in the music? Plus what about the passengers!

Its not easy bro, but once the componants are up front you will see they are well worth the hassle.

J

I don't know the technical reasoning but I can just say:

Have you ever been to a live a concert, or heard a band play on some stage?

Did it sound killer?

Now were they playing in front of you, or behind you?

The whole preface is even confusing to me. What about all around is beneficial? If there is anything, how does it compensate for wreaking havoc on the frequency response. IMO its never worth the mess it makes.

Interesting, I guess I thought because stock speaker lay outs were always like that they would be the most effective. Thanks for the info guys!

Did it sound killer?

Some people grow up listening to music through headphones, in cars (stock systems of course) and at home with surround sound. The whole "rears mess up the sound" thing is confusing to me because it's all personal preference...How can you tell a person what the "right" way to listen to their music is? Sure you can suggest it, let them try it, but if they don't like it that doesn't mean they're wrong?

I was without rears for...about 6 months. It sounded awesome. I got some rears and it sounds just as awesome? As long as he likes it it's just fine.

Did it sound killer?

Some people grow up listening to music through headphones, in cars (stock systems of course) and at home with surround sound. The whole "rears mess up the sound" thing is confusing to me because it's all personal preference...How can you tell a person what the "right" way to listen to their music is? Sure you can suggest it, let them try it, but if they don't like it that doesn't mean they're wrong?

I was without rears for...about 6 months. It sounded awesome. I got some rears and it sounds just as awesome? As long as he likes it it's just fine.

x2, some people will never understand what you like the next person wont like and vice a verse.

It messes up the frequency response. That's okay to you?

What it shows me is that you haven't heard a system that was setup properly. When comparing not so good to not so good and all around you then surely you might have a preference for one or the other.

Perhaps my goals are strange. When I listen to music, I want to listen to the music.

What it shows me is that you haven't heard a system that was setup properly. When comparing not so good to not so good and all around you then surely you might have a preference for one or the other.

Perhaps my goals are strange. When I listen to music, I want to listen to the music.

What is frequency response?

And to be honest, I never have heard a properly setup system.. :ughdunno: I'd love to but I've only been to one car event and most of the people there were high school kids with stock HU's and 2 12's.

I just bought my first headunit that didn't have 'treble' and 'bass' options, instead they are just equalizer options and I have no idea how to set it properly.

EDIT: It's the Alpine CDA-117.

Edited by Freshh

Perhaps MY goals are strange? When I listen to music I want 26hz notes to rock my ribs and for the vocals to be loud and clear.

Not having perfect imaging and little anomalies in the frequency response doesn't bother me at all. Just like if you couldn't play into the 20's at full volume that might not bother you at all but to me that's a problem. Just because my subs may play lower than yours doesn't mean that you set yours up wrong...you like it just fine that way.

You're assuming that a "system that was setup properly" sounds the best to everybody. You can't do that, just like I can't assume that 26hz at 140+db sounds great to everybody. Personal preference is my key point.

Perhaps MY goals are strange? When I listen to music I want 26hz notes to rock my ribs and for the vocals to be loud and clear.

Not having perfect imaging and little anomalies in the frequency response doesn't bother me at all. Just like if you couldn't play into the 20's at full volume that might not bother you at all but to me that's a problem. Just because my subs may play lower than yours doesn't mean that you set yours up wrong...you like it just fine that way.

You're assuming that a "system that was setup properly" sounds the best to everybody. You can't do that, just like I can't assume that 26hz at 140+db sounds great to everybody. Personal preference is my key point.

But if you happened to sit in a vehicle designed with proper imaging and flat response, I'm sure you would love it. Obviously excessive bass throws everything else out the window, but it's possible to have a setup that does everything well, just a compromise back and forth if you want sq or spl.

It's like saying I like watching movies on a tv, normally I watch DVDs, but I don't like Blu-ray.

I want it to sound kinda good, but not the full experience.

Flame on...

Nope, stop reading things how you want to. Put yourself in a theoretical world and then apply it to anywhere in the spectrum. Lets say your anomaly knocked out your 26Hz. By your post above you wouldn't like that so much. Take it a step less extreme and say it did it to some other note that is popular in any of the music you currently listen to. Or how about any note in music you may soon start listening to. Or fuck, let me just be as general as hell and say any music anywhere in the spectrum. You say that's cool with you? Then say that a particular note or set of notes or again to generalize an octave of notes removed, altered, reduced, gained, is desirable? Don't understand how you can desire that as a positive trait in trying to listen to the music you are playing.

My comments were never about system overall volume, capability, goals etc, but as I said:

When I listen to music, I want to listen to the music.

In your case perhaps listening isn't the goal.

Just because my subs may play lower than yours doesn't mean that you set yours up wrong...you like it just fine that way.

Subs have nothing to do with the front stage nor the discussion. On top of that, don't assume yours play low. That's funny and again not part of the discussion as we are talking about a "component set".

Stop confusing amplitude with response. This is not a discussion on how loud something is. Preference may have something to do with it. As an example, pick one (preface is they are all at exactly the same perceived volume). Would you like accurately reproduced what you were listening to: in a great way, a medium way or a shitty way? If you didn't pick shitty why would you make decisions helping you further along that way.

I'm not arguing that rears are a good thing, I never said that. You're overlooking what my point is. Rears are detrimental to the the frequency response. Fact. This does not make every install that includes rears flawed, because every ear and most goals are different.

Now to you, an anomaly in the frequency response is bad, while to me having a subwoofer be limited to only ~30hz and up is bad. Does this make any install limited to ~30hz and up a flawed install? No, that's ridiculous right? It's simply a matter of personal preference.

I'm not trying to brag about how low my subs play or throw that in your face or whatever you thought that was. I just want you to see that you're arguing a subjective case. Not everyone wants what you want, not everyone likes what you like, even if on paper and in the real world its beneficial. This hobby is about what YOU WANT, and I think people lose that sometimes. I love playing 26hz slow ass rap songs. You like sq. Who's "wrong?" Neither of us.

Edited by An-i-no