Freshh

Installing Component Set

Hey guys, this is the very start of my first diy build, I've never installed a speaker in my life before today!

But- I got the co-axial 6x9's into my doors this morning no problem! However, now I have a problem. I have a component set that I was going to run the 6.5's in the back door of my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I was going to run the tweeters up front in the dash. It just so happens the tweets don't fit in the dash. Should I try mounting them on the back doors somehow? Or a pillar? Here are a few pictures.

Build1.jpg

Build2.jpg

Build3.jpg

Build4.jpg

Build5.jpg

Any ideas on where to place the tweeters would be much appreciated, I'm fine with not having them next to the 6.5's. I have never worked with fiberglass, and I don't plan on it, at least not for this build. lol Thank you in advance! By the way it's just a simple passive set-up.

Really depends on where you want them. Where you like them mounted and what sounds best for you. Get some double sided tape and try them in different spots and find the best for your ears :) Why not put the 6.5s up front and the others in back? that way the mid and tweet can be close? (if you decide to get the tweet up front. Which I think will be the ticket.)

I would personally unscrew the mounting plate of the previous tweeter and use it to make a template out of cardboard or a piece of wood, that way you can still mount the tweeter in the dash. Once you get your cutout the same shape as the previous tweeter's hardware then cut out a hole for your new tweeters and presto your done.

The 6x9's won't fit in the back door, :suicide-santa:

But good idea with the double sided tape, I'll go tamper with it for a while! :thanx:

I would personally unscrew the mounting plate of the previous tweeter and use it to make a template out of cardboard or a piece of wood, that way you can still mount the tweeter in the door. Once you get your cutout the same shape as the previous tweeter's hardware then cut out a hole for your new tweeters and presto your done.

The old tweeter spot was up on the dash, is that what you mean?

I would personally unscrew the mounting plate of the previous tweeter and use it to make a template out of cardboard or a piece of wood, that way you can still mount the tweeter in the door. Once you get your cutout the same shape as the previous tweeter's hardware then cut out a hole for your new tweeters and presto your done.

The old tweeter spot was up on the dash, is that what you mean?

Yeah

+1 though I think its in the dash not the door. I'd also put the mids as close to them as I could, in the front doors most likely.

Yes I meant the dash, everyone can see the tweeter mount in the dash I was referring too.

Before I start playing around with it, does the 6.5" speaker have to be connected to the component part or just the tweeter? (the component part = the rectangular piece)

Before I start playing around with it, does the 6.5" speaker have to be connected to the component part or just the tweeter? (the component part = the rectangular piece)

That's the crossover. And no, it doesn't. But you will need to have the ability to set the crossover points for the 6.5 on either your amp or HU. Why don't you want to use it?

That's the crossover. And no, it doesn't. But you will need to have the ability to set the crossover points for the 6.5 on either your amp or HU. Why don't you want to use it?

It's not that I don't want to use it, just that if my tweeters are in my dash and my 6.5's are in my rear doors I don't think I could get the wires ran correctly. :ughdunno:

Why not? mount the Xover by the mids, run tweeter wires to the front. Not difficult at all.

Well I decided to keep the tweeters in the back next to the mids, but I don't know how to mount them? Just drill into the door panel?

You need to take a step back for a minute. Your system design plan is just not very well put together.

Yes, you have to use the passive crossover if you want to use both the mid and tweeter in the component set.

No, you do not want to put the mid in the back door and tweeter in the dash. That's not a good plan. Not sure why you would want the components in the rear instead of the front anyways. You want the better performing speakers (which in most instances is the comp set) to be the primary speakers in the system, which would be the fronts.

Your best course of action from this point would be to remove the 6x9's you have in front, install the component set in the front, sell the 6x9's and if you absolutely must have rear speakers purchase a pair of co-axials to install in the rear doors.

Well, thanks for who helped me.

Wah-bam!!!

Build7.jpg

btw, they sound great.

Edited by Freshh

^^^ is that your back door???

I have a co-axial set in the front doors and a component set in back doors, backwards I know. but component anywhere is better than no where, right?

Yea I guess that would work. I'm kinda interested in how it would sound

I'll let you know once I do the other door, tomorrow probably, I have work tonight.

I doubt it would effect the sound enough for someone who doesnt know what to look for or listen for. If you dont know what correct staging or imaging is then it really wont matter. Considering you have tweets up front with coaxials, your gonna have more highs up front in your face.

True, I really don't know the difference lol

Ignorance is bliss.