Sign in to follow this  
MikeMartel

Trunk Box Problems

Alright... so with the dimensions i am using for my 18" BTL, it will give very limited space for air to move around the box. I was going to fire it into the trunk, BUT it will give little air space to move around the box to get back into the cabin. Will this be a major problem? If so ill need to rethink the build.

Without numbers or anything definitive no one can help.

Sounds like you either need to fire into the cabin or go with a smaller driver.

Yeah sorry for such the short post, in the middle of class. Ill get some numbers up soon

Also, when you say: Fire into the trunk.

I'm interpreting that as: the box inside the cabin and literally firing into the trunk. Which doesn't make much sense.

Do you mean the enclosure will be inside the trunk, firing rear towards the trunk hatch?

Yes i did, sorry for the confusion. Its in the trunk firing rearward. I might have to fire it forward... idk i need to figure some more shit out. Right now my box is going to be 18.5" high, 30.5" deep, and 34" wide... I only have 19" of height clearance.. and there really isnt much room.

I think im going to need to fire this forward towards the cabin or its not going to work.

Ok... i think iv figured it out. Smaller box. 7 cuft isnt going to work much at all... Ill be going 5.5 cu ft instead!. 18.5" tall, 30" wide and 28" deep. That will give me atleast a little bit of play room in my trunk and should work great!

I would of went with a 15" if that is all the space you have available for an enclosure to fit comfortable inside that trunk. You got room for batteries and amps as well as the box?

Yes, i have room for that stuff when need be, the main reason i bought the 18" was because it was for sale locally... for lots cheaper than i cud get a 15

Yes, i have room for that stuff when need be, the main reason i bought the 18" was because it was for sale locally... for lots cheaper than i cud get a 15

I still would of went with a 15" but to each its own, Id rather give it a bigger box to help with the response.

i went with an 18" because of the same reason too.

try something like this, this is a 18"btl in a 2001 impala

IMAG0496.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

200629_10150170817106678_608506677_8274043_3040679_n.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

Edited by marq7890

I would get it reconed to a smaller size. I have had good results running the Xcon sealed like above. But I have never heard/seen a BTL sealed before and is not recommended.

I dont have the money to get a new sub, or get a recone, or anything really.. So im sticking with the 18" in a 5.5 cu ft box. Lets see how it goes. :)

^^^A huge box cuts off a lot of air flow. Might hurt your score a little.

The same guy has 5 alpine 12's in the same style box, hits 146db and does hair tricks

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/102482-2001-chevy-impala-ps3-installed-page-9/page__pid__1682643__st__160#entry1682643

Could have better numbers and performance with less subs in same box, 5-12" subwoofers doing a 146db is not impressive.

Final descision.

Sub facing rearward, port facing forward, and if sound doesnt move that well because of the lack of folding seats, ill cut a big slot in the rear deck. :sleepwerd4:

Cut a hole in the rear deck rather then spend a little cash on a recone? Hmmm

Port should not be on opposite side of the box as sub, so sub facing rear and port firing into the cabin wont work.

Oh, why doesnt it work when the port and sub are facing opposite directions?