slim142

Alternator and Battery question

Ok so I understand that if you dont want to deal with upgrading your alternator, you put more reserve of power (aka batteries).

However, I understand that if your voltmeter tells you that voltage is below ~12v, then you are running into problems.

I have a question regarding this. Let say I play my music and I see voltmeter says 11.9v but I already have my main battery upgraded, and an extra battery. At that point of having 2 batteries, will my problem be easily fixed with ANOTHER (a third) battery or would I have to get an H/O alternator?

Reason Im asking is because a group 31 is ~$300, and an alternator for most cars is also around that price. However, I have a BMW and got a quote from DC that an alternator is ~$600-700.

I want to know whats the best way to solve my problem (in the future) once I get my 3500D installed and use with 2 XCONS at 1ohm (3500watts).

Also, a completely out of place question. Will it be ok if I run 2 15s in my BMW trunk? (2008 328i Sedan). I dont care if it takes up all the trunk. However, I do NOT want a wall. I also do not want to run two 15s in a small enclosure that will put them in danger of failure.

Thanks

if u are dropping to 11.9v with a sundown 2k @2ohms.. then you need to pull both batts out and charge them separately, FREQUENTLY.

I'd say one a week.

Without having upgraded alt, your stock alt will take longer and longer to maintain batts the more you put in there.

So it's mandatory to manually charge bank of batts when you only have a stock alt.

So in this scenario, i can save you a lot of money and you do not even have to switch to Geico!

Just go get you an AGM battery charger.

Want one now?

Go to Sears.

Their Diehard chargers are very good!

I use the one with following specs-

2A trickle, 15A slow, 40A fast, 125A engine start.

if u are dropping to 11.9v with a sundown 2k @2ohms.. then you need to pull both batts out and charge them separately, FREQUENTLY.

I'd say one a week.

Without having upgraded alt, your stock alt will take longer and longer to maintain batts the more you put in there.

So it's mandatory to manually charge bank of batts when you only have a stock alt.

So in this scenario, i can save you a lot of money and you do not even have to switch to Geico!

Want one now?

Go to Sears.

No no no

Im not having issues with my car or my 2000D at the moment. No problems at all. Even Jacob said at 2 Ohm is just fine. Lights never dim or anything.

Im just asking because I have a 3500D on the way, but again, I will be using it at 2ohm for now until I get my two 12s xcons.

I NEVER play music with car off. I learned the hard way long time ago when I was getting into car audio and didnt even know what ohm resistance was lol and btw, I have factory alternator and only one battery, the factory one. No issues at all. But again, Im asking for reference in the future...

Edited by slim142

Shizzon what's your opinion on the Schumacher AGM smart chargers like this one?

I'd say one a week.

Want one now?

Go to Sears.

No no no

Im not having issues with my car or my 2000D at the moment. No problems at all. Even Jacob said at 2 Ohm is just fine. Lights never dim or anything.

Im just asking because I have a 3500D on the way, but again, I will be using it at 2ohm for now until I get my two 12s xcons.

I NEVER play music with car off. I learned the hard way long time ago when I was getting into car audio and didnt even know what ohm resistance was lol and btw, I have factory alternator and only one battery, the factory one. No issues at all. But again, Im asking for reference in the future...

then i would add the recommended battery quantity to the rear that XS recommends.

So, if u only have starting battery right now.. install a D3100 in the back.

You WILL need to periodically charge it back up though.

Also, 98gmc, i didnt look at the link but if it can do at least 10-15A for agm, then it's fine for up to G31 batts when charging separately (recommended)

then i would add the recommended battery quantity to the rear that XS recommends.

So, if u only have starting battery right now.. install a D3100 in the back.

You WILL need to periodically charge it back up though.

Also, 98gmc, i didnt look at the link but if it can do at least 10-15A for agm, then it's fine for up to G31 batts when charging separately (recommended)

As a matter of fact, I was planning on adding a D3100 once I had the money for the two xcons :drink40:

Dont want to stress out my alternator. Especially a BMW one lol

And as a bonus, replace the factory battery also to an XS (whatever fits in the factory hole).

I think that should be able to handle 3500watts for most trips. Now I also plan on adding a voltmeter just so that I can make sure my voltage stays up.

Thanks for the help. I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing here.

If your gonna go with 15" Xcons then go sealed, if you want a ported enclosure then 12''s will be the way to go. Like Shizzon said above, get an AGM charger to help charge your batteries.

ask bassaholic.. every car he gets charges at 15.9 volts...........

I have the upgraded version of that charger ( in the walmart link ) its like the marine version and it charges AGM batts and shows the % of battery that is charged. It works wonderful on my 2 kinetik batts that I have installed. Charges pretty quick too. i think it has a 15 or 20a option but also has lower like 10 and 5a

What about the XS charger on sale here at SSA store? The $350 onr, will it be good enough for my D3100 and any other battery of my choice?

Ok so I understand that if you dont want to deal with upgrading your alternator, you put more reserve of power (aka batteries).However, I understand that if your voltmeter tells you that voltage is below ~12v, then you are running into problems.I have a question regarding this. Let say I play my music and I see voltmeter says 11.9v but I already have my main battery upgraded, and an extra battery. At that point of having 2 batteries, will my problem be easily fixed with ANOTHER (a third) battery or would I have to get an H/O alternator?Reason Im asking is because a group 31 is ~$300, and an alternator for most cars is also around that price. However, I have a BMW and got a quote from DC that an alternator is ~$600-700.I want to know whats the best way to solve my problem (in the future) once I get my 3500D installed and use with 2 XCONS at 1ohm (3500watts).Also, a completely out of place question. Will it be ok if I run 2 15s in my BMW trunk? (2008 328i Sedan). I dont care if it takes up all the trunk. However, I do NOT want a wall. I also do not want to run two 15s in a small enclosure that will put them in danger of failure.Thanks

You have to remember, once your vehicle is running your battery is nothing more than another load on the alt. Adding more just increases the load.

Shizzon what's your opinion on the Schumacher AGM smart chargers like this one?

Shumacher makes Sears chargers. Well, technically little Chinese kids do, but the plant they work at, eh, you get the point.

I'd rather drop the doe on the alt and not have to worry about adding more and more batteries and having to charge them weekly in the garage.

I honestly don't know how many batteries you would need, or how often you would need to charge them.

Figure you just posted about getting a $350 charger on top of the price of one or two more batteries. You could easily purchase a h/o alt for that cost.

I'd rather drop the doe on the alt and not have to worry about adding more and more batteries and having to charge them weekly in the garage.

I honestly don't know how many batteries you would need, or how often you would need to charge them.

Figure you just posted about getting a $350 charger on top of the price of one or two more batteries. You could easily purchase a h/o alt for that cost.

Id have to say this^^

Not that I have the cash for a charger available at the moment, but I could also add it to my list and start saving for one.

On a side note, an alternator for my car is not near $350. DC quote was $600-$700.

Not that I have the cash for a charger available at the moment, but I could also add it to my list and start saving for one.

On a side note, an alternator for my car is not near $350. DC quote was $600-$700.

$350 for charger + ~$200 per battery (say 2), 350+200+200 = $750.00

And if your buying the higher end xs batts new, there more then $200.00...

get the HO alt... do it right

So rather than buying a battery to replace my factory, a 2nd battery and a charger. Just spend the money on a good (maybe 300amp) alternator? Keep the factory battery too?

Battery charger i use costs less than $100 at sears.

Cheaper (not saying bad) battery charger: $100

Decent but not top of the line battery: $200(2) = $400

So your looking at around $500, will the batteries have enough reserve for the power your running? I don't know. Will the stock alternator supply enough amperage to keep the batteries well charged? Likely not. So you'll find yourself charging your batteries in the garage every few weeks?

Or for some extra doe you could get a H/O alt that simply makes the power right from the get-go.

I know what I would do, but that's just me.

I know i would get an alternator too but if the OP wants to go through the trouble of saving up some money for a few months on an alt while he manually charges batts up once a week or whatever then that's fine too.

Besides additional features that may exist.. more $$ chargers typically just charge faster..

Not something of interest anyway...

10-15A is normal for a G31 batt and of course the smaller, the less current recommended.

I do not know, or dwell, on what other features are out there on chargers.

I just know on my Diehard Platinum charger, it will load test the battery prior to charging, regulate voltage to a constant 14.7v after it's initial charging sequence has started, constantly lower current output as the battery reaches full charged capacity and will trickle charge once battery is charged with an auto shutoff\on depending on state of battery if charger is left on for long durations after charging is completed.

I know i would get an alternator too but if the OP wants to go through the trouble of saving up some money for a few months on an alt while he manually charges batts up once a week or whatever then that's fine too.

Besides additional features that may exist.. more $$ chargers typically just charge faster..

Not something of interest anyway...

10-15A is normal for a G31 batt and of course the smaller, the less current recommended.

I do not know, or dwell, on what other features are out there on chargers.

I just know on my Diehard Platinum charger, it will load test the battery prior to charging, regulate voltage to a constant 14.7v after it's initial charging sequence has started, constantly lower current output as the battery reaches full charged capacity and will trickle charge once battery is charged with an auto shutoff\on depending on state of battery if charger is left on for long durations after charging is completed.

That's true, but now your talking the cost of batteries & the cost of the alt... That's a lot more and likely way more then he needs.

Each has it's drawbacks.

I never played music loudly with the car off so battery reserve wasn't an issue. Having a 15lb alternator or what ever verse a hundred pounds or more in batteries was another plus.

Good luck OP.

Thanks

I guess the decision will definitely have to be based off from the readings I get on the voltmeter to see how much power the subs are using and if they need more.

I just wanted to have get some opinions about this situation.

Edited by slim142

Another thing too just to throw this out there...

For a period of ~40days, i was driving my car with no alternator..

I had 3 batteries in the car i was using to drive myself back and forth to work in.

It was a total of 235aH and i would drop from 13 to 11.7v by the time i got home.

This was just driving, no stereo on...

Total of about 37 minutes driving time including 2 startups.

Everyday i would get home and throw the batteries on charge. (i had to do each battery... it was interesting but i got used to it)

I would get home and throw the starting battery on charge first.. About 3hrs later i would throw the other smaller batt in the back on charge...

Right before i would go to bed, i would throw my G31 on charge and take it back off in the morning and go to work..

Now, you wouldn't have to do this the way i did because you have an alternator...

You could do this on a weekend where u have plenty of time.

Just letting you know an experience i went through before.

Another thing too just to throw this out there...

For a period of ~40days, i was driving my car with no alternator..

I had 3 batteries in the car i was using to drive myself back and forth to work in.

It was a total of 235aH and i would drop from 13 to 11.7v by the time i got home.

This was just driving, no stereo on...

Total of about 37 minutes driving time including 2 startups.

Everyday i would get home and throw the batteries on charge. (i had to do each battery... it was interesting but i got used to it)

I would get home and throw the starting battery on charge first.. About 3hrs later i would throw the other smaller batt in the back on charge...

Right before i would go to bed, i would throw my G31 on charge and take it back off in the morning and go to work..

Now, you wouldn't have to do this the way i did because you have an alternator...

You could do this on a weekend where u have plenty of time.

Just letting you know an experience i went through before.

Wow! Thats interesting!

So what exactly happened to your alternator?