MatthewMoran

New build being planned and I can decide

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which sub/enclosure?

• 2 12" fi btl n2. sub/port forward
    • 1 21" IA DP. sub up port forward
    • 2 15's sub/port forward as suggested by bassahaulic

So I am starting a new build and really cant make up my mind on the subs. Its not as much a "which sub problem" as much as it is the enclosure, I dont have experience with either so that is why Im asking for advice. Please keep in mind I have a 2003 maxima.

So the dp would have to be sub up port forward with the rest of the trunk space walled off. While the 12's can be sub and port forward with the trunk walled off. My goal is spl, and I have the electrical to back either design.

I know cone area is usually a good thing to go by for spl, but I really dont know how much of a difference the enclosures will make to spl or sq. Also keep in mind my current set up is 3 10's sub up port back, and I'm happy with it but want to move to 12's since 10's lower sub selection(ie no btl's).

Please let me know what you think and why.

Edited by k1llj0y

SPL..

2 15"s subs forward. Huge aero port in the middle, also forward. Set back about 6" into the trunk. Not sealed. Tuned to around 45-55Hz.

Can you really fit the 21" and enclosure in your trunk?

Was wondering the same...

Its a squeeze but yes. Maximas have large trunks with a lot of weird angles, but I cut most of them out. This is why the sub would have to be up though.

I believe the trunk is 15.1 cuft so I could easily make a box 9 to 10 gross. I would to utilize the spare tire well if necessary as well.

SPL..

2 15"s subs forward. Huge aero port in the middle, also forward. Set back about 6" into the trunk. Not sealed. Tuned to around 45-55Hz.

This is a good idea, and could be another option. The only problem I could think of is my strut towers stick out about 6"-8" from each side leaving 36" in between, though i could move the box a little farther back.

Edited by k1llj0y

Two 12s will be much easier to fit. That's my vote.

SPL..

This is a good idea, and could be another option. The only problem I could think of is my strut towers stick out about 6"-8" from each side leaving 36" in between, though i could move the box a little farther back.

This has been proven to be the loudest SPL trunk setup.

SPL..

This has been proven to be the loudest SPL trunk setup.

When you say "not sealed" do you mean trunk or box? I planned on porting the box, but if you meant the trunk is there any reason why?

He means the trunk

He means the trunk

I Figured, whats the reason to not wall off the trunk? I was under the impression not walling with subs forward will add cancellation from the sound going into the trunk then back out.

Also poll has been updated to add 2 15's

Drew knows his shit. I wouldn't be hesitant to take his advice. I have no experience with Maxima's and there trunk layout. But I would take two 15's in a optimal enclosure over a 21" thats squeezed in there. Do you have an amplifier already?

The setup I recommended is for SPL only. No music.

Here is an example. A local friend of mine.

The setup I recommended is for SPL only. No music.

Here is an example. A local friend of mine.

Very impressive!

Drew knows his shit. I wouldn't be hesitant to take his advice. I have no experience with Maxima's and there trunk layout. But I would take two 15's in a optimal enclosure over a 21" thats squeezed in there. Do you have an amplifier already?

When I said squeeze I meant to get the box into the trunk, I can make the box to recommended specs(2 15's is more cone area so im looking at that more than the 21 any way). And I'm asking for knowledge not out of hesitation, to clarify I dont think hes wrong, but I'd like to know why hes right. Also I do have an amp, aq 2200 and id be adding another for the 2 speaker set up.

Edited by k1llj0y

I just want to make sure your on the same page as what Drew is suggesting.

This setup is not geared for playing music, just tones, correct?

two 15" drivers = 353.25 sq in

one 21" driver = 346.185 sq in

this is generic of course since you're going to have varying cones/surrounds on different brands, sizes, etc. but is recognized by MECA and possibly other sanctioning bodies :ughdunno:

I just want to make sure your on the same page as what Drew is suggesting.

This setup is not geared for playing music, just tones, correct?

Yeah I plan to do a removable areo port so I can drop tuning for daily.

two 15" drivers = 353.25 sq in

one 21" driver = 346.185 sq in

this is generic of course since you're going to have varying cones/surrounds on different brands, sizes, etc. but is recognized by MECA and possibly other sanctioning bodies :ughdunno:

Its good enough for me

Edited by k1llj0y