RLJ676

1.1 Cube Ported Box, 1200 rms, Fi SSD or Bl (or Icon?)

I am putting bigger sub stage in my 08 EC sierra. These trucks have terrible floorboards under the rear seat, so the "only way" (short of custom fiberglass, etc) to get any space/depth was to build a box behind the console/in front of seat. It is sub up and external 4 in port going under the seat. It yeals a gross of 1.1 cubes, and can be tuned as low as 30.

So, I am going back and forth between a Fi SSD and BL. It looks like this fits better in the BL's range of box size. I am going to run 1200 watts (stock electrical, wanna leave some room for midrange amp). So will the BL be both louder (higher efficiency) and perform better as the box is on the higher side of it's scale? The SSD would get the cooling option. I'd look at the Icon, but can't find anything for box specs. How would it do in this box relative to the SSD/BL?

I listen to 90 % rock, but the goal here is to be able to get "loud" on rap to shock my not-really-car-audio-informed buddies haha (and get my bass fix) and adding some kick to my rock.

Here are some pics of the rough box.

RoughBox1.jpg

RoughBox3.jpg

RoughBox2.jpg

Going in this:

RearAngle.jpg

Draw straws! Either of the three will fit your needs.

Is that for a ported box?

Subs :peepwall:

that truck looks sick!!!

Haha, hoping for someone that has experience w/ one or the other in a ported box this size. All you read is that the box is everything, so I'd like to pick the more optimal for my application. I'm pretty space constrained, so that's the box I can do. (or did)

Fi makes it pretty confusing, they list 2 different box size ranges, one on tech page and one on regular sub page.

Tech Page Sub Page

SSD .9-1.5 .6-1.2

BL .5-1.2 .7-1.5

So which one really needs the bigger box? Would the 4 in aero port work better w/ one or the other?

Subs :peepwall:

Sub volume or recommended box volume?

I see for a 10"

I say go BL, or even a BTL or Zcon, if you ever plan on putting more power to it.

Thanks Shogen.

i would like to know how this sounds. never seen a truck build like this one

Me neither......had to get creative and this is what I came up with. I think I'm capturing everything though to make it work. Most run sub down into the floor under the seats, but that is a tiny space, hard as hell to port, and limits sub depth and excursion which limits the power.

I've read in reg cabs and other trucks that sub up port passenger works pretty well.....so we'll see.

My reference points are few though. I have a MTX Thunder 7000 in a pre-fab sealed on 400 watts (of CL for $100 for that and 2 other amps) which is not nearly enough, had a vette w/ a SDC 2.5 10 on 900 watts (tuned too high) and a buddy w/ a sealed RF 12. None really have the output I'm looking for, so hopefully this bests them all. At a minimum I want it to be as good as the 2 Eclipse Al 10's on a PPI amp in an Integra I had 16 years ago, it was pretty solid, nobody believed it was 10's.

I can't see it impressing you with the sub and port so far from a wall/boundary in the vehicle.

Maybe someone that has tried this before will see this and respond.

I am impressed with a 15 icon in the same enclosure and same amp compared to a ssd. running a aq1200,

I can't see it impressing you with the sub and port so far from a wall/boundary in the vehicle.

The port is actually right at the rear passenger door. What is ideal distance, as I still have flexibility.

I figure the sub is quite close to your head, and not to much further from the ceiling than in lots of sub up SUV setups. Certainly closer to a boundary than console enclosures at leg level.

I am impressed with a 15 icon in the same enclosure and same amp compared to a ssd. running a aq1200,

What size (relative to recommended) and tuning?

I would expect the Icon to outperform the SSD, but the question is volume for me.

How about a DC LVL 4, they list ported box size as 1 cube, right about where I'm at.

The port is actually right at the rear passenger door. What is ideal distance, as I still have flexibility.

I figure the sub is quite close to your head, and not to much further from the ceiling than in lots of sub up SUV setups. Certainly closer to a boundary than console enclosures at leg level.

I can only go on my past experience.

I have a 93 mustang cobra, hatch obviously.

I've tried firing subs forward from as far back as possible and as well as on top of the rear seats (folded down) up, forward and to the sides.

I was surprised at the lack of output.

When I turned the box (sub and port facing the same way) pointing toward the back of the car, instant permagrin.

You'll continue to hear people say "it's all in the install", " try it and see what works best for you" and "test, test, test".

There's a very good reason for this.

This could make you happy and that is what matters most.

If you have a ported sub (in your home theater) try putting it in the center of the room, then place it with the port firing into a corner. You will experience a big difference in output.

If you're loading the port off the boundary of the truck, it could work, I don't know and haven't tried it.

Post back with your results so we can learn from you trial.

Good luck!

I can only go on my past experience.

I have a 93 mustang cobra, hatch obviously.

I've tried firing subs forward from as far back as possible and as well as on top of the rear seats (folded down) up, forward and to the sides.

I was surprised at the lack of output.

When I turned the box (sub and port facing the same way) pointing toward the back of the car, instant permagrin.

You'll continue to hear people say "it's all in the install", " try it and see what works best for you" and "test, test, test".

There's a very good reason for this.

This could make you happy and that is what matters most.

If you have a ported sub (in your home theater) try putting it in the center of the room, then place it with the port firing into a corner. You will experience a big difference in output.

If you're loading the port off the boundary of the truck, it could work, I don't know and haven't tried it.

Post back with your results so we can learn from you trial.

Good luck!

Right on. My home sub is corner loaded haha.

But yeah, the port will be right in the corner so I hope that helps. The sub up may be less than optimal, but the truck just doesn't allow many options so it'll just have to do I guess.

So I ended up w/ a SSD on Fi's recommendation for my box and power, just ordered today w/ free cooling, flatwind and leads. I also got a SAX 1200D on a great deal refurbed, might still get a MMATS depending on how this hits my stock electrical w/ big 3, but my alternator is fairly large in a full size truck.