Sign in to follow this  
CBFryman

I Love Miter Joints

I tried my hand at making an enclosure with miter joints instead of butt end joints like normal. This is going to make finishing the box 100% easier and take half as much filler (just having to fill the screws).

I had always been turned off by the thought of miter joints because every one says they are so "complicated" and the thought that iff i mess up that pice is gone for good. Well now i realize that if you think about what is going on and tripple check its easier than designing a box with butt end joints, best part is if you fudge up a lil it isnt gonna be a big thing to corrct it.

Case and point:

My first set of 45's where slightly steeper than 45...i realized this, made some adjustments on the saw to correct that and all i end up with is a little skinny lip that on the corner. two brushes with the palm sander and its gone. The corners where going to be rounded anyway.

It also gives the glue mroe surface area to bond to. I love them now and if this enclsoure turns out A++ with half as much work as regualr joints i will never go back. :hyper:

7d90218d.jpg

13ff24ec.jpg

d4b75cef.jpg

Datos are better since it interlocks.

I dont like miters, to hard to hold inplace if you dont have a clamp

i have 6 cheap plastic/nylon clamps (the ones that are black with orange teeth or w/e) and 2 cynder blocks...its all i need :)

BTW, yo ureally only need 2, 3 at the max, and 3 cynder blocks (cynder blocks are my best friend when building alone) all that cost less than one good bar clamp

When my wood working skills get better im gonna try biscut joints with gorrilla glue and use nothing but clamps.

dovetail....do it

:jman: :jman:

Would MDF even hold a dovetail? seems like it'd would lack the....whats the word i'm looking for...strength is a good broad word, but it lacks the lateral integrity...lol

Since the glue is stronger than the wood even with a lowly butt joint, I wouldn't be too worried about getting fancy. Miters are fine, especially if you find them easier. All you really need is a good surface to glue on.

Since the glue is stronger than the wood even with a lowly butt joint, I wouldn't be too worried about getting fancy.  Miters are fine, especially if you find them easier.  All you really need is a good surface to glue on.

Tis true, a miter joint can really aid in the adhesion of the two surfaces. With a 45 degree miter vs. butt joints you have more surface area for the glue to do it's job. :)

but the stress would be pushing on the joints differnetly also, i'm guessing any kind of shearing force...or i guess thats the what you'd call it, anything pushing from like opposite corners, would be far less detrimental.

God i can't spell half those words, let me break it down hick style

I reckon one of them funny angles would prolly help keep that there box together if your coon dog tried to breed with one of them sharp edges.

Heh...I thought Virginians where sapposed to be sourthern for a reletively northern state...

Cuttin dem thur corner wif the fancy angle'll give it sum more strength when yuh tie yer 8 pointer to it cus Deerr sesun is ov'r 'n yuh dun want the warrden aftah' yuh'.

:)

lol

but the stress would be pushing on the joints differnetly also, i'm guessing any kind of shearing force...or i guess thats the what you'd call it, anything pushing from like opposite corners, would be far less detrimental. 

God i can't spell half those words, let me break it down hick style

I reckon one of them funny angles would probably help keep that there box together if your coon dog tried to breed with one of them sharp edges.

The stress is spread out more over the larger surface area. Same idea as a washer on a bolt ;):)

Of course, if you glue well and use good glue the joint (of either type) will be stronger than the MDF itself. At least it has been with every box I have built, when I "retire" them we do the smash and burn and they NEVER break on the joints. So I say, use what is easier. If your joints are sloppy you will have a better fit with the miter though as it has more area to make up the diff.

Dado joints > miter

Plus, Miters are PITA to get perfect, but when gluing them, band clamps (whatever the clamps using the long strap are called) are fricking awsome.

Oh and nice job for first time doing that, I've seen people do ALOT worse on first time jobs.

When my wood working skills get better im gonna try biscut joints with gorrilla glue and use nothing but clamps.

I know this is a couple weeks old but i gotta respond to this.

I may not be the most knowlegable box builder in the world, but I do know woodworking...

1. You dont want to use gorilla glue for a box...trust me, just dont

2. Even if you could, these no reason. Wood glue is PLENTY strong and with wood it can be and usually is stronger than Gorilla Glue..

3. No need for the biscut joints, but would be interesting. Either way, you dont have to be any better, just grab some clamps, some titebond or Loctite wood glue and build the box...its not hard...

This topic is over a year old. :)

I already built my box with biscuts, and just glue and clamps, and a few other things. I've also used a number of different glues. :)

Yep 56 or so ;)

I'm a fan of biscuits myself.

Someone forgot it was 2007 ;)