shadowm891

breaking in sub

is it true when you first install a sub and run it for the first time it's best you should not play it at full power for a while.the reason i ask this is because i was never told this by anyone before you had to do this and i wanted to make sure since i been playing my sub at full power for like 4 hours total since i had it and i can tell the sub is not real stiff after playing it for a while ?

Subwoofer suspension will loosen. This is the "breaking in" period. People get confused about that and think this means they have to be gentle on the subwoofer until it the suspension loosens a little, but that's garbage. To loosen it in fact, you need to get it to work. You need to play it loudly.

So no, don't worry about breaking in your subwoofer. Giving it full RMS straight out of the box won't hurt anything.

well that is good to know then never really own brand new subs before they always been used but how long does this burning smell i keep smelling last before it goes away it seems to stay around lol.

Shouldn't really be smelling any burning smell. :(

i see well don't subs put out a smell that smells like its burning when you first play them for the first time i had some people tell me they do just not sure if what i smell is that smell there talking about,

dude you killing the sub not breaking it in. unless you have a fresh made box and thats the wood and glue.

dude you killing the sub not breaking it in

This. Breaking in the sub shouldn't involve smelling anything burning. With this hobby, smelling anything burning is never good.

Tell us the equipment you have, the settings on your radio and the settings on your amplifier. Maybe we can figure out why you're burning something (probably coils).

yeah the box is brand new i built it so it must be the wood and glue then if that's the case im gonna turn the gain down on the amp to be safe but how long does the box smell last for ?

Excess enamel on the coil burns off at first.

well i have a eclipse cd 5030 cd player and i have the cross over set to 24db's and at 31hz and the amp i have is a plye plad3300d amp which puts out about 1200 watts at 1 ohm and i have the lpf set to 80 and my subsonic set to like 32 since my box turn to 35 and the gain on my amp is set to like 70%

the wood glue smell should smell like a new house kinda itt will wear off in like 3 weeks but Idk if tthatts the case

any of you know what voltage my amp should read at 1000 rms i have a multimeter and i was just on youtube and it shows you can set a gain on a amp with one but not sure what my voltage should ready off the amp

I'll be completely honest and say that i have NO CLUE how cross overs work, so I can't comment on that setting. LPF and Sub Sonic seem fine.

What subwoofer?

Show us a little diagram of how you have the SA 12 wired.

Also, where did you find the RMS rating for your amp at 1 ohm?

did the link i post help with amplifier gains using a DMM?

here the link where i found out how to wire my sub to one ohm http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=1&I=22

the rms is what i am going off by what i search for online since i know the amp is not over 3000 watts at 1 ohm .i did some research and only came up with 1 post saying it only does 1200 watts at 1 ohm rms . not really i had a hard time understanding some of it since math was my weak class :(.

Good news talk to my boss at work and he has a westward 39ar 1000amp true rms amp clamp he gonna let me use with a miltimeter so Im gonna test my amp see what the true rms watts on it and ill let you know what it is.

That is good news.

Specifications on the box?

I feel like that cross over setting could have something to do with it, i was hoping that someone who knew something about X-overs would have chimed in by now...

Good news talk to my boss at work and he has a westward 39ar 1000amp true rms amp clamp he gonna let me use with a miltimeter so Im gonna test my amp see what the true rms watts on it and ill let you know what it is.

Just for reference, determining the "true rms output" of an amplifier isn't as simple as using a clamp meter and DMM. If you are doing this for the purposes of gain setting, the clamp really isn't going to be of much help at all and the entire endeavor will possibly just make things worse for you. Easiest method for setting the gain is to do it by ear. If that is something you feel uncomfortable with, you can use the DMM method (no clamp necessary) previously linked to in this thread. That amp is rated 600w @ 4ohm, and that's probably a little overrated. 1200w @ 1ohm seems realistic, although based on the "max" and 4ohm RMS power rating 1800w is probably what Pyle would tell you the amp is rated for @ 1ohm. Personally I would stick with the 1200w number to be on the safe side, the difference between 1200w & 1800w isn't really that audible anyways. If you use the DMM method of setting the gain, based on 1200w @ 1ohm the target voltage would be 34.64V (again, the test method for setting the gain w/ the DMM and achieving this voltage was previously provided). From there you can tweak by ear.

Your crossover settings confuse me. Is it a highpass or lowpass crossover in the Eclipse that you have set to 31hz ??

The deck has high pass and low bass when you enter the crossover option you get the options subwoofer front and back with the two options db and Hz but no option for picking high or low pass. And being a subwoofer option you figure it be set for lowpass abduction the front and back are high pass.

The sub is set to 31 the front and back are 800hz. Yeah i did it by ear on gain and the sub not popping at all.

So is the 31hz setting a highpass or a lowpass?

It makes a big difference.

To be honest i don't know don't give me a option for it all i know the deck has both but here something on eclipse website about my deck that talks about. Since i don't know much about crossovers my self maybe you can read this and tell me if i am or not. http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/download/manual/cd5030_en/audio/contents/5361.html#5460