Sign in to follow this  
PHATBOi

First Box Design

Will be built in car in this area. Slot port on drivers side, sub and port firing into cab, sealed off from trunk.

100_5067.jpg

This is what I've come up with, but how do I figure the 90 for the length of L port? Thanks in advance.

MyFirstBoxDesign.jpg

Sub is 1 Audiopipe TXX-BF15D4 4" voice coil 1200 rms sub on 2 APSM-1300 1K at 1 ohm amps strapped at 2 ohms for 2K rms, btw.

Edited by PHATBOi

Alright, sub is now a RD Alpha Max V1/PSI 15D4 on the 2 APSM-1300's strapped for 2K at 2 ohms.

Adjusted for more displacement from sub and brought my tuning up to 31 even. I like it.

RDBox.jpg

So my inner port wall will go back 19 and then 90 for another 16 to get the 35" of length?

Didn't have number of common port walls entered, lol. :noob: Dropped tuning to 29Hz.

RDBox-1.png

Damn. Am I not askin nice enough or somethin? Can somebody with some type of box design knowledge please tell me if I'm even in the right ball park here? Thank you.

My ghetto cut sheet, lulz. Top and bottom are 30 x 15.5 obviously. Didn't want to cut the full front then have to cut out the port hole so I refigured the demensions to the way I want to build it. Anyone feel like checkin my math please? Thanks.

RDBox-2.png

100_5203.jpg

Don't tune that low. Tune higher.

Reason being?

Aight, so I figured out I should have butted the second port wall up against the first instead of drawing it flush with it like I did. That way only gives me 3" of port width along the back wall cause of the .75 wood thickness. SO, if it's butted, it would be 8" of physical board for the back wall plus the .75 thickness of the first wall plus the 18.75 of length of the first port wall gives me my 27.5 of physical port length.

BTW, thanks for teh vague suggestion with no reasoning what so ever behind it. I'll just run right over and tune my box higher now because bassahaulic on SSA said so. :suicide-santa:

It's like the reverse of a noob askin "Yo, dawg, what kinda amp should I get to make my speakas talk **** loud loud?". smh

I was busy. Tuning that low with that little of cone area will result in not much output.

I was busy. Tuning that low with that little of cone area will result in not much output.

Yeah I know. That's why I upgraded from a 12 to a 15 and added another 1.5K watts to push it. Sorry for the harsh words, was defensive over my first design. I will edit my posts. Thanks for your input.

Edit: Guess you can't edit old posts or something. :ughdunno:

Edited by PHATBOi

Bout to head to Live Wire and grab some stuff I need for the 2.5K. Gonne get it playin and worry bout sealin off the trunk later. Gonna see about gettin BHE to spruce it up a lil with some beauty panel action.

IMG_20120103_084252.jpg

IMG_20120103_084300.jpg

IMG_20120103_084310.jpg

IMG_20120103_084226.jpg

I really have nothing to add except that i tried using that calculator and ended up sooo confused. LOL. I too am trying to design a box, and have pretty much hit a brick wall. :suicide-santa:

try to avoid mounting amps on ur box

long story short : its not healthy for the amps

I never had a problem doing it, do it right and use quality amplifiers then there should be no problem.

Finished product:

IMG_20120103_133651.jpg

IMG_20120103_133742.jpg

IMG_20120104_195257.jpg

Edited by PHATBOi

I've never had a problem either. Where else am I supposed to mount that beast? That's actually one of my favorite parts of the build, pop that trunk and see that sexy bitch chillin. I love it! :wub:

Edited by PHATBOi

Going to be paneling off the front and the trunk with beauty panels sealing off the trunk from the cabin and leaving display windows for the amps in the trunk.

Going to be paneling off the front and the trunk with beauty panels sealing off the trunk from the cabin and leaving display windows for the amps in the trunk.

But the amp is up side down! All the db's are going to fall out! LOL! Just messing with you. I have never had a problem with an amp mounted to a box. If your box flexes enough to break the amp you need a better box!

Why did you put a fuse between the amp and battery? O_o

But the amp is up side down! All the db's are going to fall out! LOL! Just messing with you. I have never had a problem with an amp mounted to a box. If your box flexes enough to break the amp you need a better box!

Box is solid. No flex. 23/32 Cabinet Ply FTW!. And I put a second layer of spacer between the box and the amps. Seems to be working fine. And you heard wrong, around here the unspoken rule of thumb is reverse mount to add the DB'z.

Why did you put a fuse between the amp and battery? O_o

Just to spite you. :peepwall: