Sign in to follow this  
djtomczak

6x8s to run off factory HU

I'm looking for 6x8s to run off the factory head unit in my 2012 Escape XLT. Factory stereo, no nav, no sync. I read on another site that the Infinity Kappa speakers sound better than stock ones off of head unit power. To me the stock speakers sound good, but I'd like it louder and to have better bass response. I found the Kappas for 75$ a pair shipped, so 150$ for all four. So I'm looking for anything better than those within the same price range, or a confirmation of those being good. Could also run comps, if they could sound good of the hu. And on a side note, anyone know the output power of that hu? I'm guessing under 20 watts.

Edited by djtomczak

Yeah but the idea is to run off of the HU. I'm sure there are better speakers than the stock ones that can run on low wattage!

I'm looking for 6x8s to run off the factory head unit in my 2012 Escape XLT. Factory stereo, no nav, no sync. I read on another site that the Infinity Kappa speakers sound better than stock ones off of head unit power. To me the stock speakers sound good, but I'd like it louder and to have better bass response. I found the Kappas for 75$ a pair shipped, so 150$ for all four. So I'm looking for anything better than those within the same price range, or a confirmation of those being good. Could also run comps, if they could sound good of the hu. And on a side note, anyone know the output power of that hu? I'm guessing under 20 watts.

you say you're fine with the sound from the current speakers. this makes it difficult figure out what would be an acquitted investment. for example, a set of 50 dollar coax speakers would probably not improve things very much. spending a bit more, 70-100, might give you better results. however, spending much more then that would likely be a waste on stock amplification.

never heard the kappas. honestly, it wouldn't matter very much if i had heard them because it would be mostly a subjective experience.

also, your not likely to gain much if any output by just upgrading the speakers.

personally, you may want to up the budget to about 200 bucks. this would give you plenty of cash for some component speakers (or coax), 2 channel amp, and install equipment. (i would leave the rears stock)

there is the small problem of getting signal from the stock deck. im not aware if there is any factory processing going on at the deck or external oem amp (if there is one). a simple Line output converter would provide the signal. there is also the option of high level inputs into the amp, i am not sure which is better or if there is a difference.

to give you something of an idea as to what the system could possibly consist of. i would look around for used gear, amps especially.

pg rsd comps, budget favorite in the past. very few of these left on the internets. 6.5" would be preferable if you could make them fit. but the 6" model linked would preform well.

another option from the ssa store

the infinity kappas could work as well

for an amp, a small 2 channel w/ about 70-100 rms x 2 @ 4ohms will power things nicely. you could also go with a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear channels to a small sub to get the low end output you described to be lacking.

these aura sound amps are a nice deal on new amps

plenty of options on ebay for refurbs and so forth.

i've had luck with kicker refurbs, a 250.2 or 200.2 would be nice.

some nice amp kits from cadence ebay. My link

for louder and better bass responce, you would need an amp too...

Yeah but the idea is to run off of the HU. I'm sure there are better speakers than the stock ones that can run on low wattage!

yes there are better speakers, but it is unlikely they will be any louder.

Found some Infinity Reference series for cheap locally, so I'll put those in I guess. They will be running off head unit power until I get time to put my trusty old Profile 4channel in. Should sound pretty good! Especially when I get my SA12s put in :D

If you plan to run more than one SA12, you will need an amplifier for the front speakers, or you will find them weak !

Follow Lithium advices pleeeaaase, and you will be happy.

I've never liked any Infinity speaker, but it's just me. You may like them :)

A 4 or 2 ch amp can be real cheap and fit your budget. You need one.

You can buy used too.