Julian

Buying a used car.

My girlfriend is looking to buy a used car (around 2 grand), what should we look for? Are there any steps to prevent her from buying a lemon? I had suggested asking the seller to allow us to take it to a shop I trust (Family was in transmission business for sometime)

Any other things?

ANyone else feel free to chime in too.

My girlfriend is looking to buy a used car (around 2 grand), what should we look for? Are there any steps to prevent her from buying a lemon? I had suggested asking the seller to allow us to take it to a shop I trust (Family was in transmission business for sometime)

Any other things?

ANyone else feel free to chime in too.

I think taking it to a shop you trust and letting them look it over. Is the best thing you can do. If the seller happens to have a problem with this, then I wouldn't do business with them.

You can also ask for any maintenance records the seller has. This can give you a idea of how well they took care of it.

Also KBB it of course. To make sure your not over paying.

Edited by brad02420

I'm with ^brad. Taking it to a trusted mechanic is one of the best things to do. When i buy a used car I always pay close attention to the oil and the transmission fluid. If they have both been recently changed (especially trans fluid) to me that throws a red flag, and i am cautious about buying that car. My logic behind that is, if someone is just tired of the car or doesn't need it, they won't spend the money or time to get the fluids changed. if a car has new fluids and is for sale, it tells me that they were trying to fix a problem, and possibly were unsuccessful.

Research the hell out of the reliability of the car and the problems they usually have and whether or not the seller has ignored or serviced them. For an inexpensive used reliable car I personally would go with Honda Civic or Ford Focus. You can usually tell if a car has been loved or beat on. Just my .02

Is there any certain car she is looking for?

A great car that is good on gas and very reliable...is a toyota camry. With the price of $2k, you can find a nice 92-96 camry. I have 2 '94 v6 camrys. One wagon and one 2door.

Both the v6 and 4cyl motors in these cars will go to 300,000 miles EASY if properly maintained.

As stated above...previous service records are a plus. And bring to a shop as well

Not a mainstream one such as TiresPlus or Kauffman tire. A mom&pop shop is the best

Good luck!

You can ask if they will let you drive it around for an extended period. I drove mine for 1.5 days before going back and purchasing. This gives you much more time to evaluate lots of things.

Ask for the Carfax?

Research the hell out of the reliability of the car and the problems they usually have and whether or not the seller has ignored or serviced them. For an inexpensive used reliable car I personally would go with Honda Civic or Ford Focus. You can usually tell if a car has been loved or beat on. Just my .02

Well, i work at a shop amd ford focus's seem to jave many problems as well as Dodge Neons... worst car you can buy. (Also a PT cruiser as islts the SAME car as a neon. Just a different body.)

Now as for civics, they are ofter bought for teens and they get the shit dogged out of them.

So just be smart and dont make a spontaneous purchasr.

Foreign cars tend to be more reliable...IMO

The Civic is a good suggestion, also check used Protege's and Accords.

The Civic is a good suggestion, also check used Protege's and Accords.

Agreed. But for $2k... dont think you could get a decent accord.

I'm not sure. I'm in Indiana, and accords seem to go pretty cheap around here.

Definitely agree with the civic. But is she sure about a car? You can't go wrong with a reliable truck! I had a 1998 ranger with pretty low miles for $2500. Thing lasted forever.

I'm not sure. I'm in Indiana, and accords seem to go pretty cheap around here.

Definitely agree with the civic. But is she sure about a car? You can't go wrong with a reliable truck! I had a 1998 ranger with pretty low miles for $2500. Thing lasted forever.

Yeah, she's open about cars.. I told her to get a small truck... so i can transport wood :lol:

Hahaha, always nice to have a truck useful. Especially when it's someone else's :D

Girlfriends dad has a beater Chevy that's turned into my haul everything truck. Love it