Sign in to follow this  
Yukhui

SI Mag vs. RE SX

Ok so lets say I could get a SI MAG 12" for about $350. At the same time, I could be getting a RE SX 15" for $250. I am looking for LSQ and hear they both sound good.

How much better SQ would the Mag have?

How much better SPL would the SX have?

Which is the best bang for the buck?

welcome to SSA,

I am not positive but I believe that a member did a direct drop in of a MAG into an SX install and the MAGs were louder,

the SX is a great street level SPL driver from all accounts, I have seen a good amount in the smaller classes as of recent do very well, but SQL the MAG is the clear choice

If you buy the MAG you will never ask yourself if you should have. I know if I were you and bought the SX, I'd always wonder what that extra $100 would have bought me and probably regret it just because I wouldn't find out.

I guess you guys convinced me, lol. I just want a real good system in my car to listen to and enjoy as well as to show kids around here what a real sub is. All they talk about is audiobahn. I used to think that maybe people on forums were exaggurating about kids talking about the audiobahns in there trunks but it really does happen! Just tonight my friend had to show me his two 12" Audiobahn dub mags. It was pretty loud but woah did that sound terrible.

Edited by Yukhui

denim is correct a certain member (can chime in if he wants) did a direct swap and got (i think almost a full db) an increase with the mags (2 12s vs 2 12 sx, same box same power same car)

If you want to show them what a real sub is, be prepared, ignorant people aren't easily convinced that they're wrong

the 15 would probably have the edge in SPL due to cone area, but I don't know how much if the Mag is inherently louder given the same sizes.

ok im that member that these ppls are talkin about

i did a direct swap out of a broke in re sx 12 ( pair ) and a pair of mag 12s... the mags were .7 db louder at 68 herts with a mm4000.1 on both

I guess you guys convinced me, lol. I just want a real good system in my car to listen to and enjoy as well as to show kids around here what a real sub is. All they talk about is audiobahn. I used to think that maybe people on forums were exaggurating about kids talking about the audiobahns in there trunks but it really does happen! Just tonight my friend had to show me his two 12" Audiobahn dub mags. It was pretty loud but woah did that sound terrible.

the level of quality and performance (not to mention customer service) is light years ahead on SI equipment,

Nick at stereo integrity (and his crew) worry about the performance of the product and not just trying to sell as many as possible. I tested the MAG 12 myself, and it is VERY clean in sound and does not need gobs of power for daily driving. If you need help with box design, there are plenty of people here to help.

Ok, about what size vented box could I expect to be putting a Mag 12 into? And what about a Mag 15?

when I tested the MAG 12D2, it was in a 2.0 cube @ 28hz

LOVED it

Cool, how does this compare to the prototype they have?

what do you mean? the new line that is coming out? or the prototype MAG from a few months back?

Well if you know how they compare to both models that would be very helpful.

I have no experience with the new line, it does not have a release date yet that I know of,

and as for the MAG 15 vs the MAG 12, I have not tested the 15, but I can only imagine top notch SQ with greater output than the 12 :bigok:

I think we need a clearer definition of the "prototype". The 12" driver that Denim tested was/is our Mag 12" in every way ... except it didn't have a logo on the dust cap. Other than that, it is a Mag.

If you get a Mag 12, go with the 2 cube box tuned to 28 like Denim mentioned. It is a killer box for our 12's and will perform excellent.

The "BM" series (that name may change BTW) are not out yet and they are a smaller driver than our Mag's - lower power handling, smaller motor, lower price, etc.

If you have the room though, the 15's are flat out sick in a car.

Well I had checked this brand out on realmofexcursion.com and they called the sub the prototype... That was what I'm talking about.

Yeah, that was before the drivers hit production. Now they are Mags, and just like Nick described.

Well I had checked this brand out on realmofexcursion.com and they called the sub the prototype... That was what I'm talking about.

yeah, its the one in my avatar next to my pup, basicly logoless MAG :bigok:

i my self went from an RE sx 15 ported to 35 hz on 1000 watts, to a mag 2 15" sealed (2.8 cubes) on 1200 watts. i can testify that the mag 2 may not be louder (i hit 142.4 with the sx) the mag seems pretty close on the ear, and it is also alot cleaner as well.

I think we need a clearer definition of the "prototype".  The 12" driver that Denim tested was/is our Mag 12" in every way ... except it didn't have a logo on the dust cap.  Other than that, it is a Mag.

If you get a Mag 12, go with the 2 cube box tuned to 28 like Denim mentioned.  It is a killer box for our 12's and will perform excellent. 

The "BM" series (that name may change BTW) are not out yet and they are a smaller driver than our Mag's - lower power handling, smaller motor, lower price, etc.

If you have the room though, the 15's are flat out sick in a car.

The "BM" series...obviously you are going to change that name. LOL.

My company (which is from Germany) had a new line of product out that they were calling the PMS. Needless to say, we had them change it worldwide just because of the connotations here in the US.

the new BM series,

I would love to test one

the new BM series,

I would love to test one

All testing will be done by me only. I am the man. If Nick decides otherwise, he may face an uncertain demise.

Yeah right. :wub: