Sign in to follow this  
joejohanson..

ditch mtx 9512 for a dcon 15?

so i just recently got a 9512 . never been a fan of mtx. been looking at the dcon. looks damn good. think it wise too, sell the 95 and pick a dcon up? oh btw im jake and new to these forums.

Two WHOLE different woofers. The 9512" is a very high power high performance 12". The DCON 15" is a 300w SQ based driver.

The 9512 will have much more output no if, ands, or buts about it.

Welcome man!!!

I would be tempted to trade you a Fi BL 12 dual 2 ohm, if you just dislike Mtx that bad. And welcome, dude

Edited by Chainsaw

Agreed two very different drivers. If you list your goals and budget we can help steer you in the right direction.

:WELCOME:

well. i did get it out of the dumpster of mtx was returned on warrenty. has good coils it goes low. i have it on a oldschool american bass all the knobs are broken off. and theres no model number on it so i have no idea what it is. would it be wiser to just upgrade my amp. ive never heard a 95 before not sure what they can do.

I'd highly recommend you build a proper ported enclosure and get a nice 1500-2000w amp for it.

i have it in a rough 4 cube six in areo with flares tuned to 34 ish before woofer displacement

as far as budget om broke. i figure i can get 250 or so for the mtx. im lookin for some lows.that will hurt my ears more. then my older version 18in fi q on a ap1500d at one ohm at 12v stock electrical from a 84 honda civic wagon. lol i know ^LIFE STORY^ any ideas on that one?

I would keep the MTX.

Your box seems good for it. Maybe the amp is broke ? I don't know, but this sub & box should sound good.

The Dcon is in another league. It's a good woofer, but it can'tbe compared to a monster like the MTX you got.

So I just recently got a 9512. I've never been a fan of mtx and have been looking at the dcon and I think it looks damn good. Anyone think it would be wise to sell the 95 and pick a dcon up? oh btw im jake and new to these forums.

I did get it out of the dumpster of mtx, it was returned on warranty. It has good coils and plays low. I have it on a oldschool american bass with all the knobs broken off and no model number so i have no idea what it is. Would it be wiser to just upgrade my amp? I've never heard a 95 before, not sure what they can do.

As far as budget, I'm broke. I figure i can get 250 or so for the mtx. I'm lookin' for some lows that will hurt my ears more than my older version 18in fi q on a ap1500d at one ohm with 12v stock electrical in a '84 honda civic wagon. lol i know ^LIFE STORY^ any ideas on that one?

Welcome to SSA! :wavey5:

The Dcon and 9500 series from MTX are very different drivers as pointed out previously by everyone else who has posted in this thread. If output is the main concern, the 9512 has the potential to get very loud and handle much more power than the Dcon.

If you got it out of a dumpster and was returned for warranty purposes there is probably something defective about it. Have you checked the coils with a DMM or just looked at them and decided they were good? Without any information at all about the amp you are using, we can't say with confidence that you should upgrade your amplifier. Once again, the 9500 series from MTX is quite capable of producing impressive output.

You figure you can get $250 or more for a used subwoofer that you pulled out of a dumpster? Without more information, we can only guess at the level of performance provided by your previous setup. In an optimal enclosure with >1kw, an 18" Fi Q should have more output at a lower frequency than a 9512 or Dcon15.

i checked the coils on my multimeter. both read 3.9 and it is still pretty pretty stiff. the only thing i see that could be considered a deffect is the terminal was ripped off.

Pics

ill get them asap. also pics of the pos amp too.