Sign in to follow this  
Micah Horton

How big should a port for 15" be?

I am new and am designing a ported box, it is 4.1 cubed inside for 1 15 and i want to tune low. how big should the port be so the air speed is not too fast?

That's dependent upon several things. There are calculators and formula's for figuring this too.PORT AREA CALCULATOR <-- This one is a pretty popular one. The amount of port area you plan on using depends on the xmax of the driver(s) you're going to use, tuning, and space primarily. The more port area you want to use the longer the port has to be so the more space it's going to either take up in the enclosure or the larger the enclosure has to be to account for the port. Some people don't like using really large ports for SQ related reasons, others love using the biggest port they can possibly fit for more SPL. Your goals, enclosure design plans, and space restrictions are going to dictate the end result.

How much power, and enclosure tuning? Oh and the DRIVER being used. lol

In return, I will tell you port area and port speed.

Edited by stefanhinote

SSA dcon in approx 3.5 cube net box tuned to 32 HZ for now i will be using a 130w rms amp. will be upgrading to 300wrms

right now i am planning to be using a 6" diameter port that is 15" long

But i dont even have the sub in my hands yet its in the mail so this is all planning

Edited by Dubstepz

I calculated the port size for a round port and it came out to be 8.24 and if i calculate the length than it has to be 36" long to be tuned correctly. i dont have that depth

Instead of making a standard slot L- port, you can keep the length by making it a labyrinth port.

I have a ZCON 15D2 and a DC Audio 2.0K. Tuning to 33hz. I want to use an 8" port with aero end caps. Should I use 1 or 2?

Enclosure is size up to you really. Tell me what's best.

Thanks

I calculated the port size for a round port and it came out to be 8.24 and if i calculate the length than it has to be 36" long to be tuned correctly. i dont have that depth

I suck ballz at designing enclosures. But if you have a size restriction make it known

I have a ZCON 15D2 and a DC Audio 2.0K. Tuning to 33hz. I want to use an 8" port with aero end caps. Should I use 1 or 2?

Thanks

I came up with:

Using: 50.27 in^2 Port Area

Vent Mach: 0.113

Vent Mach: 127.828 ft/sec

Vent Mach: 38.963 m/sec

That's for one 8" circular port, with flared ends I'm not sure how much exactly less you can get away with.

SSA dcon in approx 3.5 cube net box tuned to 32 HZ for now i will be using a 130w rms amp. will be upgrading to 300wrms

right now i am planning to be using a 6" diameter port that is 15" long

But i dont even have the sub in my hands yet its in the mail so this is all planning

300watts

one 6" circular port

32hz tuning

Using: 28.27 in^2 Port Area

Vent Mach: 0.044

Vent Mach: 49.289 ft/sec

Vent Mach: 15.024 m/sec

If your box is close to 3.5 cubes, with a 6" diameter port, and 15" long, after displacement, your tuning would be around 34-35hz. Which is certainly fine, it's not like a few hz is going to make a whole lot.

If your using flared ends, then disregard this last bit, I'd have to do a new calculation for that.

Thanks

I came up with:

That's for one 8" circular port, with flared ends I'm not sure how much exactly less you can get away with.

What enclosure size is that based on?

Thanks

I came up with:

What enclosure size is that based on?

Enclosure size doesn't play any role in determining port velocity. It's all about the restriction of airflow (port area), how much air the driver is displacing (acoustical power output), and the tuning of the enclosure.

Enclosure size doesn't play any role in determining port velocity. It's all about the restriction of airflow (port area), how much air the driver is displacing (acoustical power output), and the tuning of the enclosure.

I really need to hit the books...

It's in the loudspeaker cookbook, although I'm sure it's in a thousand other books too. :P

It's in the loudspeaker cookbook, although I'm sure it's in a thousand other books too. :P

It is. Reading it through the third time, actually. My "bedtime" reading isnt absorbing lol

It is. Reading it through the third time, actually. My "bedtime" reading isnt absorbing lol

Try in the morning with a cup of coffee. :)

I wake up at 4:20am. I am screwed. Glad there is a Stefan around to solve my port volume issues!

I wake up at 4:20am. I am screwed. Glad there is a Stefan around to solve my port volume issues!

You wake up at 4:20 just to get high? :P

I made a calc pertaining to some of the stuff: http://portsgalore.stefanhinote.com/

Might find that useful.

I made a calc pertaining to some of the stuff: http://portsgalore.stefanhinote.com/

Might find that useful.

Its been bookmarked for me since you created that thread.

Might find that useful.

Haha. I haven't smoked the dope in many many years.

Cool calc bro! I cant wait to check it out!!!!