Sign in to follow this  
Dangrebel

Low pass crossover?

What's a good low pass cross over for my MIDs so they don't play to high. Crescendo mp6's are what I will be using. And a mbquart onx 4.125

need more info. whats your install? what are the mids for?

Install will be most likely aq super tweeters and the mp6's, I just don't want my mids trying to play 2k and up. My amp doesn't have a band pass option do in looking for a external cross over.

budget

edit: are you looking for additional processing also?

what hu do you have?

Edited by lithium

Alpine cde-123 and no I just want it to crossover the mid if possible and under 100$

Install will be most likely aq super tweeters and the mp6's, I just don't want my mids trying to play 2k and up. My amp doesn't have a band pass option do in looking for a external cross over.

Then you are going to have an awfully large gap in the frequency response, as the supertweeters are not going to play down to 2khz.

So what speakers would you be using to cover the octave gap between 2khz, where you want to lowpass the mid, and ~4khz where the supertweeters will pick up?

im sorry i didnt even think of that haha so i will be crossing them at 4k but will a powerbass xex-23 work?

Can't say I'd recommend running a 6.5" driver up to 4khz. You will be well into beaming by that point. Hope you don't plan on running them off-axis. That is without even knowing anything about their frequency response and other performance aspects.

What I would recommend is looking at a real tweeter instead of a supertweeter. Then again I don't really know much about your setup or goals. But mating any decent diameter mid up to a supertweeter is always a tricky task. Not only do you have beaming to deal with up that high on the mid, but most of them will start running into cone breakup and other issues.

They will be in q logic kicks and I'm either thinking 2 super tweets or 4 regular tweets like what components use. I looked around and saw crescent do also sells super tweets and I can crosse them as low as 3k and still run full rms. and my goal is too get louder so I can hear my words over bass and still sound good on rock music

Like Imp is saying, you should look into "normal" tweeters if you want better install options, ST are not easy to blend and most installs I have seen with them are just going for loud and not better sound, you will have holes between sub and front stage for sure but some people do NOT mind that ... Good luck in your search and I will keep an eye out for your update... :fing34:

Like Imp is saying, you should look into "normal" tweeters if you want better install options, ST are not easy to blend and most installs I have seen with them are just going for loud and not better sound, you will have holes between sub and front stage for sure but some people do NOT mind that ... Good luck in your search and I will keep an eye out for your update... :fing34:

sounds good then, looks as if i will be running regular tweets. any recommendations? and would the power bass xex-23 work for me?

Anybody? Would the power bass xex-23 be a decent crossover for what I'm trying to acheive?

I couldn't find much good info on the unit.

Got a link to a manual or anything?

I was told 80hz - 7khz at rms but we will see in a week or 2

LOL.

Anyways, yes that crossover will technically work as it allows for highpass of the tweeter and bandpass of the mid. Though I couldn't find anything in the manual that specified the slope of the crossovers, however. typically they will be 12db/oct or 24db/oct. But seeing as how that is an important piece of the puzzle and will (for example) determine how low you can set the highpass crossover for the tweeter, I would see if you can find out exactly what the crossover slopes are. If they are shallow it might be a less than idea solution.

Also, their terminology is a little stupid. They use the wrong terms to describe what is going on. For example, what they call the "BP Lowpass" is actually the highpass for the rear output when used in bandpass mode.

What is your budget?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COUSTIC-DR-DX-28-DIGITAL-REFERENCE-FULLY-ACTIVE-CROSSOVER-OLD-SCHOOL-RARE-/180812062501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a193d1f25

That would be an excellent piece of equipment if you could get it for about half of what he's asking, as it's value is closer to the $100 mark.

I was told 80hz - 7khz at rms but we will see in a week or 2

LOL.

Anyways, yes that crossover will technically work as it allows for highpass of the tweeter and bandpass of the mid. Though I couldn't find anything in the manual that specified the slope of the crossovers, however. typically they will be 12db/oct or 24db/oct. But seeing as how that is an important piece of the puzzle and will (for example) determine how low you can set the highpass crossover for the tweeter, I would see if you can find out exactly what the crossover slopes are. If they are shallow it might be a less than idea solution.

Also, their terminology is a little stupid. They use the wrong terms to describe what is going on. For example, what they call the "BP Lowpass" is actually the highpass for the rear output when used in bandpass mode.

What is your budget?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COUSTIC-DR-DX-28-DIGITAL-REFERENCE-FULLY-ACTIVE-CROSSOVER-OLD-SCHOOL-RARE-/180812062501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a193d1f25

That would be an excellent piece of equipment if you could get it for about half of what he's asking, as it's value is closer to the $100 mark.

Well the tweets I will be running already have an inline crossover so I don't think the slope on the power bass would matter much unless i need it for the mid. Also if worst cones to worst I could just use the high pass on my amp for my tweets. Thank you for your help!! I wish I could afford the coustix but I'm on a teenager budget lol