Kanaworm$

Very interesting component option.

Was doing some research on components and active crossover options and came across this company called Avant Garde Audio.

Has me very curious on there products so I inquired to find out more.

Looks like a bunch of audiophile nonsense marketing to me.

The active crossover in their component set isn't active in the sense we typically think of or use.  The crossover points and slopes are still fixed in their comp set, not variable like we are used to seeing in active crossovers.  Which means it suffers from the exact same limitations and restrictions as a passive crossover in that the crossover design does not consider the specific installation and acoustics of the vehicle.  The only difference is where the crossover is located in the signal chain.  

They completely overemphasize the importance of damping factor in the amplifier description.  Not to mention they completely neglect to mention the most significant factor in the low effective damping factor of any amplifier.....the Re of the speaker itself.  

In the tweeter section they fail to consider the fact that a zobel network can be added to a passive crossover to effectively flatten the impedance curve.  And I fail to see how being active allows the tweeter to play any lower, that statement doesn't even make sense.  Though 1.4khz with a small format tweeter is pretty aggressive, I'd be interested in seeing a distortion and FR plot of the tweeter.  And the second statement they make about the tweeter being placed higher, while debatable, can be realized with any component set so I fail to see how that makes them unique.

For the mids, their statement that passive crossover component sets allow the mid the play into their break up region is nonsensical.  Certainly there are comp sets out that allow this to happen, but that's a function of the selected crossover point and slope and has nothing to do with the fact that they use a passive crossover. 

And frankly, I find the following statement to be insulting:

DIY audiophiles and amateurs end up dabbling and assembling their own component system. However, truth be told that their contraptions are built based on rough estimations and pure undiluted gut feel.
Apparently they underestimate and/or lack any respect for the amount of research, testing, measuring and tuning we perform to maximize performance of our "contraptions". Sure, it's interesting.  But I would hardly say I see much of anything to be impressed with.  Appears to be nothing but marketing babble aimed at audiophiles with more money than knowledge.

And frankly, I find the following statement to be insulting:

DIY audiophiles and amateurs end up dabbling and assembling their own component system. However, truth be told that their contraptions are built based on rough estimations and pure undiluted gut feel.
Apparently they underestimate and/or lack any respect for the amount of research, testing, measuring and tuning we perform to maximize performance of our "contraptions". Sure, it's interesting. But I would hardly say I see much of anything to be impressed with. Appears to be nothing but marketing babble aimed at audiophiles with more money than knowledge.

I'm nowhere near an expert but I'm even put off by that statement. Talking down the very industry they're working with.. Don't put down one person's system/equipment/set up choices just to make yours sound better. angry2.gif

Also, on their active explanation page it says:

Also, since the circuit treats all frequencies the same, there is no delay or phasing issues associated with them.

FALSE.  Active crossovers have exactly the same phase shift as passive crossovers.Though the website has a copyright of 2004, and the latest news is from 2005. So not sure what's up with the company.